Load and save different midi mapping templates

Different devices and AU instances with different mappings etc :)

Comments

• For the same Drambo project? You could create a separate project to configure the other mapping. Or, if you save the AU in a host preset, it should save a frozen copy of that project, restored with the host preset (I believe).

Trouble is that Drambo isn't a typical synth app with 40 or 50 odd parameters that could be mapped in different ways. It's a framework in which you can build ANYTHING, with any combination of parameters. So you cannot have "Drambo" MIDI mappings, only mappings for a specific project.

• It's the main interface mappings I'm referring to. Yeah you can save templates of Audio units but It would be great to have the option to load different mappings somehow, but of course different projects would have different elements so it would be impossible to do this for all module mappings other than switching projects.

• You can already save individual MIDI mappings as a project template.

We discussed various ways of handling groups of MIDI mappings and in the end, the most straightforward and useful solution was to save mappings with the project.

You can create all kinds of mappings and save them as templates that are best to use with certain controllers and controller setups.

And yes, loading a different mapping over an existing project will inevitably lead to inconsistencies because there is no rule which parameters to re-map on a different module layout.

• edited June 2020

I was wondering if it'd be possible to add support for a CC message to be mapped to multiple destinations at once? For example, I have 15 midi retrig modules in a project that sometimes I want disabled, and using Drambo standalone I'd need to use 15 different controllers for that (not really viable with hardware..). The workaround I've come up with is to open a 2nd instance of drambo, place 15 CC generators after a trig button, and then map the trig button to my nanokontrol. That way a single button press can be distributed across 15 CCs (or more), which are then mapped/learned, and can simultaneously enable/disable the the retrig modules in the other project.

I was thinking if there was a conflicting CC being mapped, then a little window could open - or could be viewed in the mapping window. Something like, "CC 21 is currently assigned. Do you want to replace assignment? If NO, CC will be duplicated. Yes / No "

• @aleyas I like the idea a lot!

Especially now that we have ranges for MIDI controls.

That would allow us to have macro knobs on hardware controllers.

As an alternative, macro knobs inside a Drambo patch would be a nice alternative too, it was mentioned already but I don't know if it's still planned...

• A macro module would be perfect. 👍🏼

• Yes so I heard. The thing is that if you change a preset on a track you’ll have to do the mappings there and then. If mappings are saved at every level or at least instrument or processor rack levels this will allow for more flexibility when the project’s already open.

• This is something I hope will evolve in iOS generally.

One solution is midi device modules which you can swap around without having to remap everything. So yeah it's a bit like a macro I suppose. This is how I'm starting to work with desktop recently and hopefully most software will get this level of control.

Obviously Drambo is built by one man so I don't expect any of this to happen but in an ideal universe Drambo would have modules for the gui and the devices attached to it so you could build a custom interface.

• I agree completely. And let me add macro knobs that can be mapped to MIDI controls as defaults.

• Yeah the midi mapping is great! I would prefer more options for the sequencer/samplers and all the current roadmap too. I hope that AU parameters like miRack could be implemented though, this could help a lot with mapping too. :)

• Now that I've been emulating live jams in the last few days I realised how uncomfortable midi map saving is at the moment. Let's say you have a template session that you have ready to go. Each track containing a preset: Flexi, drum machine, bass synth, polysynth all mapped out and saved within your jam starter session. All good so far right?

How about if you want to add some other preset that you think might fit the jam? You'll need to recall it and map it there and then, which takes time.

If you had midi mappings saved with presets you recall the preset, no matter what project you're in and boom, all sorted.

I'm also guessing that saving projects with several presets preloaded, just in case you need them isn't going to do wonders to CPU/RAM load. It's defo best to keep it light and efficient and only have loaded stuff you need.

I think having midi mappings associated with projects requires too much forward thinking and prep. I'm guessing most of people will end up with presets and recalling them to play music as opposed to continuously building synths even if that's fun too.

Food for thought.

• Not playing live in front of people but rather preparing sets.

On no other than iOS I’m used to loading up zeeon or Sunrizer in Audiobus or Aum and expect the software to recognise my previously used hardware controller.

Once presets are built, saved and learned I see this as the quickest way of working but hey, I might be in the minority. Wouldn’t be the first time. ;)

Still, nothing’s stopping Drambo from being better than Ableton in certain aspects 😎

• edited June 2020

@supadom OK, let's suppose that Drambo would indeed save mappings with a preset.

If overlaps would exist when loading a pre-mapped preset, which would win? The existing one that's part of the prohect or the new one loaded with the preset?

And if loading a preset multiple times (on the same or on a different track), what would happen with the mappings?

It's not that there wouldn't be possible solutions for these cases but I have a hard time designing a concept that is easy and straightforward to understand for most users.

A fixed panel with macro knobs would be different: It would still be mapped to your hardware controller but the routings from macro knobs to parameters wouldn't break when loading a different mapping between control hardware and macro knobs.

Maybe you have better ideas than I do? 😉

• @rs2000 the module presets would be saved independently of the project. If you loaded a project with its preset and then loaded preset its midi bindings then you could save it again within a project. I don't see a conflict there.

Good point about using the same preset on two different tracks. This made me think of another issue which is that if I recalled a track or rack preset on a track that is associated with a different midi channel then I'd have to change all of them manually as they would not correspond.

Good points.

• Whatever the final approach is the saving grace is how smooth and quick midi learning process is.

Still, I’d love to see being able to assign multiple messages to one midi destination. I like to have stop/start on each controller and I’m not able to do it in stand-alone. Good thing is that midi learn in Audiobus allows that so when hosted this isn’t a problem.

• edited June 2020

While we’re on the subject it would be nice to see:

press

release

toggle

hold

double tap

options in the midi learn menu in relation to buttons.

For those of us who would like to maximise usefulness of those few controllers we have.

long press and double tap work surprisingly well in Audiobus. Having select and mute track on the same button would be awesome.

• @supadom

Indeed these are useful suggestions as many keyboard controllers only have few buttons available.

• edited June 2020

Yes, but even controllers with a lot of knobs and sliders would benefit from this as it is always better to have it all in sight rather than needing to go through scenes/pages for other controls. My nanokontrol mk1 has 4 scenes but I hardly ever use them because more often than not I forget that I'm on the wrong scene and end up modifying wrong values. By the time I've realised that the damage is done. ;)