Dynamic Knob Labels

edited July 2020 in Feature Wish-lists

I'm starting to write MIDI controllers for other synths in Drambo. Sometimes the parameters I'm controlling aren't a continuous value from 0-127, but a set of options mapped across a range. For example selecting a waveform on a synth. I wish there was a way to reflect those choices above a knob so it was obvious what you were selecting. My inspiration comes from Lemur where you could mathematically set a knob label to select from an array of strings.

This alongside the ability to program knob ranges without graphic shaper (and a module with 3 knobs stacked) would expand the midi possibilities immensely.

Not top priority or anything, but thought I'd add this idea to the wishlist. Even without this I'm excited to use Drambo to sequence hardware :). I'm already porting my old Lemur templates to a combination of Drambo and StreamByter (to handle the sysex mostly).

Comments

• edited July 2020

There is a function that does almost the same: Tapping the "Try" link on the MIDI learn dialog will allow you to tweak the "Range" while sending out the scaled values over MIDI.

If you want to avoid tweaking the knob all the time you can temporarily replace the knob by a slow triangle LFO but I'm OK with how it works now.

• edited July 2020

@rs2000 I'm a bit confused, isn't learn for midi input? I'm talking about knob (the Drambo module) ranges for midi output.

• Aaah gotcha, sorry I completely misunderstood the issue. I thought you were using a hardware MIDI controller, re-map it in Drambo and send it out to hardware again.

@giku announced some kind or performance/macro panel with a number of hands-on controls better suited for controlling multiple Drambo module parameters ("morph knobs") and that would be the best solution for what you're doing too, I think. Also optional custom labels instead of numbers might fit best in that panel.

• Yes, macro knob module, otherwise known as 'the knob of all knobs' would be great. As would mappable X/Y pad allowing for one knob being assigned to multiple destinations. Of course I'd rather have the former and be done with it.

• edited July 2020

I think this photo captures what I mean. I see there being a configuration menu where you can define the range of the knob and optionally set what labels show up for certain sub-ranges. So the range of the knob could be set to 0-1 and then 0-.25 could show the label "sine", while .75-1 could be "square".

This would take Drambo to the next level as a controller of other midi gear. There are a few other players in the iOS synth editor market (ex Patchbase) but none of them have a dope sequencer and wild modulations built in. This would be useful for controlling other AUv3s as well.

Again, I don't think this is the most important thing for Giku to spend time on, but I know I would use this if it existed.