Detect future versions

It’d be nice if Drambo detected that it was trying to load a project, instrument, rack or whatever that was created in a newer version than itself and issue at least a warning. I recently downloaded a project from patch storage and it was silent. I noticed that the master output module in the main rack looked fundamentally different from one in a new project. Turns out that the project was saved from a future (or maybe past) beta version of the app.

See the arpomatic discussion at https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/38019/drambo-by-beepstreet-released/p78

Comments

• edited July 2020

Since this issue also applies to different Appstore versions, I would suggest the following:

If a Drambo project is loaded from a newer version than the one currently in use, mark the affected modules so we have the chance to swap them out. With just a warning message we still don't know what's happening.

• Yeah, sorry about that.

It’s a bit of a pickle since many of the patch storage uploaders are on the beta team.

It might be also worth adding a note in the description maybe.

• edited July 2020

People should never upload projects made in any beta version.

• edited July 2020

judging from names of uploaders most of patches up there would have been made with beta it’s just they generally work anyway.

I can’t see how any of the tester uploaders could hack it. Maybe create a project on beta then upgrade to AppStore version, test if it works and downgrade to beta? Such a chore.

I’d rather have an occasional bleep then miss out on some genius here. I don’t mean me 🤓

• edited July 2020

Beta testing implies discipline. If the discipline isn't there then that person should be a beta tester. Uploading as well should come with some sense of responsibility over the quality of the result. If a patch is worth posting it is worth going back to re-create in a production version rather than potentially wasting other people's time with one created in a beta version that may not work for anyone else.

Grrr.

Sorry for the rant.

• edited July 2020

I’d rather have an occasional bleep then miss out on some genius here. I don’t mean me 🤓

I would rather miss out on this presumptive genius than waste my time.

• @number37 I hear you but it's not that simple. In 9 out of 10 cases, projects built in the Drambo beta will work well in the release version. Not everybody can afford the luxury to own two iPads and invest even more time to not only build patches for free but also test them for free.

Patchstorage allows for feedback comments and I'm sure that if you ask in a friendly way, the author will usually try to do his best to fix such issues. If you consider this a waste of time then why bother, you're free to build and upload your own projects that might be even better.

• Honest suggestion: don’t waste your time.

BTW you do sound like a twat but probably you’re just a nice person who’s had a bad day.

• edited July 2020

@supadom nope, not a bad day. I just have an opinion that I believe in. I don't think it's an unreasonable one.

I hope that's OK to have opinions around around here. Especially when it seems to be OK to express insulting opinions about other's possible character.

But whatever. Would it be OK with you for me to suggest that people help others by noting when they've created a patch with a beta version? 'Cause I'm not sure how one avoids wasting their time with a beta patch that doesn't work other than to try it out and then waste time fruitlessly troubleshooting something that's not going to work. OK, so maybe recreating a publicly posted patch in a production version isn't reasonable to ask, but taking a few seconds to note in a comment that it was created in a beta seems like it would be courteous IMO.

One last thought - non functioning patches reflect badly on the product. New or unexperienced users are likely to assume the product is buggy. Those patches aren't just up there for the benefit of the experienced community. They're very likely to be downloaded by less experienced users. I assume most people upload patches with the intent of being helpful, so this doesn't seem like a lot to ask. Beta testers are there to help the product be successful in any way they can. It's not just a club for power users.

Anyway. I don't really give as much of a shit as I seem to. And of course it's a minority of patches.

Take it or leave it for what it is: a suggestion.

• Noted. I apologise for having wasted your time. It was not my intention and if I remember it I might make provisions next time around.

• In fact since now Drambo seems to be recognising what type of file is being imported (might be beta feature) I’ll favour uploading instrument rack presets, which should prevent any future distress to downloaders and to avoid tarnishing of BeepStreet brand.

• edited July 2020

To be honest @supadom I'm unaffected, not having downloaded your patch. Thanks for not responding in-kind to my latest rant.

I come out of decades of conditioning from having worked a lot with beta test processes in larger companies, where there's a strong and disciplined ethos concerning beta testing. I should realize that iOS Land is nothing like that. It doesn't need to be. But I do quail at the idea that beta testers wouldn't feel responsible for posting non-functional patches made on beta software (not calling you out specifically). I just can't get past that one. Don't mind me. I will shut up for real now.

• edited July 2020

@number27

I see you have very high expectations of a community patch sharing project, I can understand that considering your professional deformation. Still, it is a community resource, in no way endorsed by Mr. Beep and in no way pretending to be anything else. Take is as it is or just wait for demo songs or whatever but please don't wind up the situation only because you've spent a few minutes scratching your head over a crappy patch. Please re adjust your parameters, the ones in your judgment system.

(off to upload the patch in a instrument rack form for other's sake)

• To be fair...

Patches created with the beta version that don't work today will work with the next AppStore release.

If beta testers wouldn't upload their creations done in a beta version anymore, my estimate is that 30% of the uploads that work well now wouldn't even exist over there.

• I will add a version protection to upcoming update.

• edited July 2020

Cheers @TheInvisibleMan yes, let's absolutely move on.

Version protection is a great idea @giku but might be even better if a splash came out saying:

'This has been created using a different/beta version of Drambo and some functionality might be broken, do you want to proceed?'

or something to that effect. I would still like to have the option to load if possible.

• It would be even better if each module had its own version number that only incremented when the persisted version of that module changed. Many files created in a beta version might be byte-compatible with the release or even previous versions.

• That's already the case in fact!

The only missing function is to verify it before loading and give the user the choice what to do.