An kick intermittent distortion issue

Hey all,

Drambo has quickly become the only app I use for making music these days. I use the AN Kick module for a lot of the drum synthesis including snares and toms on the higher frequencies. However, I notice that it occasionally distorts some of the hits? I think the module is based on the 808 with some kind of resonance/feedback under the hood and sounds like it is over-resonating to distort the module on some hits. Anyone else have this issue or know how to fix it?

Thanks!

Comments

• edited July 2020

Might not be the same but I end up using

pitch env -> Oscillator ->

amp env -> shaper

which works pretty well for me

Could add filter with filter env On saw/pulse osc if wanting more attack.

• The AN Kick module is probably the most organic and surprising module inside Drambo.

https://patchstorage.com/analog-kick-easter-egg/

• AN kick is great and has got a certain character I have trouble replicating with oscillators and pitch modulation unfortunately. However I will be borrowing some of your suggested techniques Supadom, thanks.

I’ve sadly never played in the original 808, but I don’t think the issue occurred there and I’ve heard other digital models that didn’t have the issue either so I think it could be fixed.

Just wanted to make sure there wasn’t an easy workaround I wasn’t aware of and hopefully this will make its way onto a to do list sometime in the future.

Thanks all.

• If @giku considers changing something in the algorithm, he could handle it in the same way as in the new oscillator: An additional header menu item to choose between classic and new algorithms to make sure existing patches still sound the same.

• edited July 2020

BTW this has been raised in one of the beta group discussions and @Giku confirmed that the original on which AN Kick was based was unstable and caused problems, that’s all I know. So yes he’s aware of this and left as is for authenticity sake. I’m sure it could be tweaked if enough folks ask for it though.

I personally don’t like it much and use it for other percussive stuff.

You can get some interesting snare sounds by modulating pitch by noise module. (Giku’s tip)