A Vocoder using only Drambo modules?

I had to wait over two hours for a casserole in the oven to finish so what better could I do than get my hands dirty on an analog vocoder. I love those 70s funk sounds 😎

https://vimeo.com/437966712

Comments

• 🤖 That sounds really good! 🤖

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited July 2020

Thank you! 😇

I've learned quite a bit in these 2 hours, especially that there are many parameter combinations that all make sense and somehow influence the sound. There's no single or best way to build a vocoder I think.

And there are some fun ways to hack the concept (like re-routing analysis to carrier filter bands).

Another surprise was how good the SuperSaw oscillator sounded in this context, that's what you can hear in the video.

• Wow! :O

• This is really amazing. I am looking forward to watching your video more closely to see how you have routed everything. Were you planning on adding this/sharing to Patch storage?

• Please share :)

• Oh wow, I'm overwhelmed by your responses 😇

OK, let me check the project on a different device running the AppStore version first...

• Well done @rs2000

I can finally replace that DerVoco ;)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thank you guys 😃

My intention wasn't really to make DerVoco redundant - an IAP module some day would still be welcome 😉

The most relevant controls are:

• Modulator Gain to adjust signal input level
    • Sibilance Gain to adjust the "ssshhh" sibilance sounds level
    • Changing the CARRBPF 1A Resonance value equally in all 10 bands will change the intelligibility of the reconstructed synthetic voice. Higher values sound sharper, lower values sound less expressive which can be desired depending on the context.
    • The sharpness of the "ssshhh" sounds can be adjusted by changing Cutoff and Resonance of the last Filter module before the final X-Fader.
  • One more thing: After replacing the shot sampler with an Audio Input module, make sure you'll connect it to both the "INPUT HPF" and "FILTER 8" input so both the vowels and the sibilances are detected.

• damn @rs2000 that's seriously impressive. Thanks for sharing.

• Thank you @palms!

I've just uploaded an AU MFX version that will accept MIDI notes for playing notes or chords and audio input. With 6 voice polyphony and both supersaw carriers active, this is about the maximum that you can run on an older iPad Mini 2 or iPhone 5S.

When using standalone, you can just sing into the iDevice's microphone and play some keys.

Using headphones is recommended.

https://patchstorage.com/analog-vocoder-aufx/

• edited August 2020

Hm, looking at the patch it’s missing a compressor for the vocal input – if you are after that robot sound ...

lots of the character comes from compressing the living %§@/ out of the vocal

and Chorus on the Output

panning odd and even bands to L/R is nice for stereo

@giku

a dial to swop input and output bands would be super cool (Ems for lazy ppl, you know what I mean)?

repatch low and high the other way around, trallala

for more out there ... resynthesis things

also known as padsound (or your boring ambient demo) vs. drumloop :) 😎🍦

drambo somehow screams do that with me ^^

@rs2000

I love looking at your patches

I always get ideas on what to do with them in 10 sec

btw. How you created the attack sound of that string thing is still a mystery to me 😏🍦😂

care to explain the trick?

• @lala

I always get ideas on what to do with them in 10 sec

Lovely. To me, this is absolutely the best thing that could happen 😃👍🏼

btw. How you created the attack sound of that string thing is still a mystery to me 😏🍦😂

care to explain the trick?

Sorry but what exactly do you mean?