XFader altering CV Signal?

I have an amp being modulated by a CV sequencer, all good. I think I’ll start trying to figure out how to chain two sequencers and start by throwing in an x-fader and the whole thing starts sounding muddy. Is the xfader coloring the cv signal somehow?

Before asking, it’s not the second xfader causing it, I get the same behavior hooking either of the two amps directly to the master output.

Here’s the project: https://patchstorage.com/xfader-question/

Comments

• edited July 2020

Sorry, what do you mean by "sounding muddy"?

Try this and confirm for yourself that the X-fader does not change anything at all:

3 sawtooth oscillators with osc 2 and 3 synced to the output of osc 1 and the X-fader crossfading between osc 2 and 3. Not matter what A/B knob position, the output signal will remain exactly the same.

If you get sound deterioration then you likely have either volume or phase issues between the two input signals.

• I agree, an audio signal passed through an x-fader sounds identical. My problem is that when I modulate an amp with the output of a cv sequencer run through an x-fader it sounds different from when I modulate the amp with the cv sequencer directly. I can’t describe it better than muffled or muddy. It’s as if the x-fader is somehow smoothing the pure square wave coming out of the cv sequencer.

• edited July 2020

Can you post a project that demonstrates it?

In your patchstorage upload, I cannot find any issue except that you're processing a modulated amp with a modulated amp...

• Could be that the 'mushy' feeling comes from the fact that two modulation sources are merged, if you merge a stepped signal with a non-stepped signal you will get interpolation which sounds mushy.

• I’m not seeing that. I have one amp modulated by the cv sequencer and another amp modulated by the same cv sequencer routed through an x-fader. Both of those amps are routed through another x-fader so you can compare them.

The original post contains a link to the project: https://patchstorage.com/xfader-question/

I went back to verify the behavior is still happening and did discover one problem, the amp knob on the second amp was at 12:00 rather than full off. Correcting that makes the two sound closer but they’re still different. Now it just sounds like the x-fader-modulated amp is slightly hotter. The quiet bits of the sequence are much quieter through the cv sequencer-direct modulation.

thanks

• @samu, yea found what you we’re talking about. Drambo changed the cabling when I added the new amp (xfader) to the left of the existing (cv). The new amp got the same color as the oscillator so there was no visual indication.

sorry for needing the second pair of eyes but thanks for providing them.

cheers