Can a counter count a square wave?

I was hoping to use a counter to reduce the frequency of a square wave lfo. Hooked the counter up to a cv sequencer but nothing moved (no matter the settings). Am I just misunderstanding what a counter does?

Comments

• The Counter creates a time signal. Each input gate trigger will increase the output CV by a fixed amount.

If you set the counter to only one step per beat, the CV will be increased by one full beat with each gate trigger so if you have a CV seq with 2 steps per beat, you'll have to increase the counter scale to at least 2 steps per beat as well.

• Yep thanks, just figured that out. The CV sequencer is slightly confusing, the gate input is labeled clock. To make it work I needed to wire the cv sequencer’ s unlabeled clock input to the counter and leave the “clock” (really gate) input unwired. The module’s help did point me in the right direction. Now I can use the 16 step counter to drive a two step sequencer that acts as a flip-flop to select between two 16-step sequencers creating a 32 step sequencer. My very own Dramperferator. Cool.

• Nice! you might be able to use a pulse divider module instead of the CV Sequencer, its a bit lighter weight.

• Thanks for the idea, it was fun playing. There are a few problems though...

• the x-fader modulator needs to be 0 to 1 so I need a half-rectifier
    • to flip-flop every 16 steps I need to divide the lfo frequency by 32 but it only goes to 8 so I need to chain two
    • the phase of the pulse divider is off by one lfo pulse with regard to the cv sequencer. I don’t know if this is a cv sequencer or pulse divider issue but it’s the only thing I can’t figure out a reasonable workaround for. The spikes in the right-most oscilloscope are due to the x-fader flipping one step “too late.”

(And what’s up with the spike in the first oscilloscope in that second screenie? There’s a similar negative spike that the half-rectifier eliminates.)