Modulation

Beyond “how to modulate a knob” is there anything that actually describes what is going on? Let’s say you have an LFO that is modulating an Amp. There are a lot of variables:

• the amp’s setting
  • the modulation knob’s position
  • the “amount” of the lfo
  • the range of the setting being modulated

I ask because in order to modulate a knob across its full range of motion some knobs seem to want to be set full off (left), others full on (right) and others in the middle. There are some knobs that want a bi-polar (-1 to 1) modulation source and others that only work with uni-polar (0 to 1) sources.

As a concrete example, the only way I could modulate an x-fader was to set the fader’s knob full right, the modulation knob full right and the modulation source to -1/+1. I can’t come up with a mental model to explain it.

thanks

Comments

• edited August 2020

To modulate the full scale of the X-fader, use a unipolar signal for modulation, amount set to +1 and the X-fade knob set to the very left.

Oscilloscope and Math => Scale and Offset are your friends.

I use them regularly (and I'm missing scale and offset in one module!).

Generally speaking, the best recommendation I can give is "don't worry and use your ears".

• @rs2000 i like gikus latest idea to glue these little groups of modules together (building blocks) as single module for ish you wished was a single module without having to use racks...

• I like the module grouping idea. It would create the potential to construct "blocks" devoted to specific function, and treat them as their own module. They could be saved as a preset, or perhaps saved into the module menu under a "User Modules" category.

Giku mentioned a the ability to hide knobs at some point and I think that, together with module hiding, would work well with a custom module idea.

I think this concept resolves to a new type of "custom module Rack", or a "select a group of modules and compact them" kind of thing.

Whatever the methodology used, the problem with the current processor rack or a layer module, is you can't make polyphonic signal pass through.

Presumably, this new "module block" idea would allow for polyphonic pass-through..... which would be great.

However, it leaves me wondering how such a block concept would handle input and output... because, many times there will be "multiple" downstream connections made from "one" upstream module. Which brings me back to "my want" for a splitter module of some kind.

Maybe a new basic splitter module that just "looks" like an Adder module... but it instead passes signal from one input, through to multiple outputs.

A "module block" could then (in theory) be "bracketed" between a "Splitter module" in the front, and an "Adder module" (or Mixer module) at the back. This could allow for multiple "permanent" connections to be configured within a "module block", and when compacted it could retain the general "single input, single output" Drambo module design methodology.

A few basic "meta controls" might come in handy for both rack constructions, and this tentative "building block" idea.

• But how would you handle importing modulation into a "module block"??

• edited August 2020

Someone made a filterbank as processor rack,

i use that as buildingblock inside instrument racks

(noise screams for filterbank)

i think I changed my mind

i like it like it is?

am I missing a function that isn’t there?