First attempt at a wavetable type of design

I threw this together as an experiment after reading a thread on the AB forum.

The idea is to play a series of graphic shapers one after the other, each one having its own wave form... Like wavetable.

But wavetable is not my goal, my goal is to morph a series of evolving waveforms as loops, and layer multiple loops to create complex evolving sounds.

This test was just to think about ways to trigger waveforms in sequence. The retrigger module was what I ended up with for this test.

Here's a video of the experiment for anyone interested....

Comments

• edited August 2020

I think that it's just a matter of time when a wavetable oscillator will be added to Drambo.

A raw prototype sketch was already part of the last beta (accidentally), so I guess it's not too long :)

I already have quite a good collection of Serum wavetables that I've been using in Groove Rider, great times ahead when we can use them more flexibly in Drambo.

Your "series of evolving waveforms" could very well be done with wavetables, the main advantage of a dedicated wavetable oscillator is that you can "scroll" through a wavetable seamlessly without any glitches and artifacts, as long as the wavetable is built from periodic waveforms. Most sounds of an FM synth, also the evolving ones, can be done using rather short wavetables.

• as long as the wavetable is built from periodic waveforms.

= it can't do noise ...

• Yes, looking forward to new modules, and expanding the potential for experimentation.

At one point last year I was using a Mozaic script for an idea I had that Wim helped me build. It's on Patch Storage as "Midi Channel Phase Mixer".

Basically the same principle of setting a series of sound types on a timeline, and trigging them sequentially one at a time. But this was using a mozaic script to send Midi-on's out to different synths in AUM, on different Midi channels. The duration each synth played was adjustable, and synths could overlap their respective play durations. That was what I was working on before Drambo dropped and I got completely sidetracked. :)

The cool thing about using a chain of synths played sequentially, was you could adjust the attack and release of each synth so the sounds would morph pretty seamlessly from one stage to the next.

Regarding using Drambo to experiment for evolving waveform experiments.. I think I'll next try using ADSR envelopes to mix the transitions.

A question for you, or anyone else here who may know a way.....

How might one go about initiating a cascade of variably timed gate triggers in Drambo, Using individual keystrikes to start each cascade?

• @Horsetrainer one way would be to use a graphic envelope as the time input for a gate sequencer

• @Horsetrainer You can initiate a cascade of gate triggers in many ways, my first idea is to use Modulator => Graphic Env. It can not only hold any custom curve, much more than just an ADSR but you can also use CV windows to trigger separate Graphic Envs in any sequence.

• Ha, I was just about to post my screenshot:

😅

• @bcrichards @rs2000 Thanks guys! That's perfect.

With that part of the build solved.... The fun part will be thinking about the kinds of sounds/synths that might sound really cool when played cascaded both sequentially and layered.

• Endless possibilities!

You can not only use these envelopes to control levels and waveshape-to-waveshape fades but also a bunch of other parameters like LP and HP filter cutoff, Shaper amount, FM modulation depth and frequency, oscillator sync frequency, etc etc.

Lots of variation with simple tools.