Gate Delay Module

Delaying a gate signal is a useful technique for sequencing two or more sounds to play at different time intervals triggered by a single key strike. One gate can be directly connected for immediate gate opening, with a second gate CV passed through delaying module(s) for controlling another gate destination after a timed interval.

One use for delayed gates is creating base sounds that contain an immediate percussive attack sound, followed by a delayed base sound. Such sounds are common when a base is played slightly behind the tempo of a base drum.

Many, many other kinds of sound cascading effects are also possible used with few or multiple sounds.

There are currently ways to to accomplish cascading gate delays in Drambo using multiple modules...

But I was thinking...

The existing Delay Module in Drambo could be used as a Gate Delay with some modification. If a gate is currently sent through the Delay Module, the time setting controls the beginning of the delay just fine. What it lacks to be useful as a gate delay, is a setting that controls variations of the duration of time the gate will remain open.

To cover all possible needs in a gate delay, there would need to be a second time setting that adjusts the amount of time the gate remains open after being opened by the first delay parameter. The two other modes required are "close the gate on key-note release". The last mode is to use the delay exactly the way the current delay module functions... the gate remains open for as long as the key was initially pressed.

Comments

• edited September 2020

If I’m understanding you correctly, another method to get gate control would be to use your gate signal to trigger a 2 step Gate/Velocity sequence, and route the gate generated by the sequencer to the delay module (instead of from the midi to cv module). The gate sequencer has variable gate length, and even a modulation input. That could open things up like velocity > gate/delay length.

it’s not as clean as a dedicated gate delay module, but Midi to CV > Gate/Velocity Sequencer > Delay Module should produce the same outcome, with mod control over gate time and delay. In this way, the gate time would be completely decoupled from the original gate source, but still triggered in sync.

• That's a great solution! One I hadn't though of. And it covers most of the delay modes.

But there's still one mode missing that I failed to fully explain in my first post...

A mode where you strike a key and hold it down, the gate opens after the delay setting, but the gate remains open as long as the key is held. When the key is released the delayed gate immediately closes.

Below is the configuration I currently use to accomplish this:

The Slew Limiter is used to control both the on-delay, and it will close the gate on key release when the fall is set to -0-.

The ENV AD set to sustain only, and has a gate with a voltage threshold that responds like a logic circuit by tripping to an on or off state depending on the voltage level at the ENV gate.

I know there are other work arounds as well. The reason I'm mentioning the idea of modifying the existing Delay Module to handle these functions, is because the Delay Module already exists, and perhaps adding the additional capacities wouldn't take a lot of effort?? (Only Giku knows the answer to that, or wether such a Module is worth the effort).

• @Horsetrainer You can do this more simply with a Graphic Env set to a step, starting low, ending high, triggered with the gate. AND the output with the gate. The result rises with the step in the env, falls with the gate. If you put the step near the end of the Graphic Env, then the time setting is almost the delay time.

• edited September 2020

@Horsetrainer Here you are.

It will trigger the second note as soon as you've held the first note until the second trigger starts automatically.

It will hold the second note as long as you hold the key and release both notes when you release the key.

Also works polyphonically.

Edit: Sorry, I've just read you already have a solution - take it as another alternative then 😉

• @uncleDave I was just testing your configuration, I like the ease and accuracy that the delay can be adjusted.

@aleyas Your solution is great for playing keys quickly and having the delayed notes sound regardless of key hold.

@rs2000 I'll need to build your configuration and see what you got going on.

These help me continue to more easily explore cascading soundscapes. Though the ultimate solution would be one simplistic configuration that could be quickly and easily be adjusted to any of these delay modes. Id like to be able to start with a group of sounds, then use any mode of delay control to noodle the setup, and make discoveries.

Thanks

• @Horsetrainer I really like your idea. I bet there are 5 other ways to do it, including a feature that people were missing in the new Arturia Keystep 37:

Using chords from Chord Memory to trigger arpeggios.

Add some logic for automatic and random variation (inversions, additional and muted notes) and semi-random strumming with a "somewhat" pre-defined order and it's going to be a lovely arpeggiator far beyond the old school arps.

• edited September 2020
  • edited September 2020

@rs2000 That's a cool type of App.

Here is a video of a basic use for gate delay used for sound design.

This is the same synth on three layers, each set up a little differently.

I like the way using small delays like this can evolve the character of even short sounds.