PolyBrute

edited September 14 in Off-topic

PolyBrute should be revealed soon! Actually what is interesting is the touche like controller on it...

if that is true then a cheap way to get that style of touch interface. i love my touche 😊

Comments

• when i mean cheap way into a touche like controller i mean if you also want an analogue poly synth.

• What???

This must be crazy. Arturia really do their job 👍🏼

• Looks awesome (the touche is especially rad), but I never want to go back to craning my neck over to control synths!

• edited September 15

When turned on my Microbrute, my first thought was: damn, this filter is perfect for polyphony. It has this sexy, buzzing nonlinearities at higher frequencies, like Oberheims. (and 12db/oct that is generally better suited for polyphony) Great they made it. I only regret its not just a poly-micro-brute, simpler and cheaper.

• edited September 15

Aha I actually ended up buying 4 microbrutes a few years ago to make my own polybrute - and it really does sound great. The micro never was the ‘phattest’, but it’s somewhat reedy, nasal quality translates well to multiple voices. The metalizer makes for some great organ-ish tones.. and you can even achieve key tracking by patching between pitch cv out and the metal / sub / pwm inputs. I’m definitely saving for this new Poly Brute though.

And as I’ve been saying, would LOVE to see a Steiner Parker filter in Drambo someday (maybe the one from Dagger? 😊)

• Analog filters are yet to come.

• Funny you mentioned that as i never digged the microbrute sound, except for one specific sound.

indeed maybe it would sound better as a polysynth aka oberhiem fizz.

maybe it has more than one filter though 🤔

• Friends,

I think I'm in love.

• Beautiful! How much? :)

• $2500 USD

Only slightly more expensive than the MattrixBrute at launch, oddly enough.

• woo hoo! touche and ribbon controller, if CV outs then it become a good way to get this functionally on top of the synth itself.

• edited September 15

It’s only 6 voices

so play a tritone with release

and that was that

i had a sequential multitrack, it was 6 voices too

i hated it. Can’t play a real chord.

8 voices is The absolute minimum for a polysynth ...

• edited September 15

If you have release on amp envelope you need double the voice number of notes you play,

otherwise notes get cut up if u trigger new notes ...

6 voices = no chord pads ;)

• edited September 15

yep, i have a few 6 voice synths, i wish they were 16 voices but they still are way better than any analogue soft synth... expect my Casio which is digital but sounds analogue for some reason.

• edited September 15

No CV unfortunately - just analog sync I/O. It's pretty rare for a poly synth to have an CV, so I'm not too bugged about it. The matrix, and deeep onboard mod sources would be plenty for me. Although I agree, having the ribbon, mod wheel and morphee pad CV outputs would be pretty cool.

Specs, copied from another source:

• 6-voice polyphonic analog synthesizer with split/layer capability

• 5-octave, velocity-sensitive keyboard with channel aftertouch and adjustable curves

• Continuous deep/subtle sound transformations through a global morphing feature

• Poly, Mono, and Unison modes with selectable voice allocation

• Polyphonic sequencer and arpeggiator onboard

• Motion recorder captures the movement of one control for one-shot or looped playback

• Mixer section can route oscillators and noise generator through one or both filters

• Portamento/Glide with continuous and chromatic options

• Built-in digital effects (chorus/phaser/flanger/ring modulator, delay, reverb)

• Effects can be used as insert or send effects, or bypassed for a pure analog signal path

• Two independent displays aid navigation and provide visual feedback

• 768 patch memories, arranged in 8 banks of 96

• Snapshot: preserve up to 5 edits in progress, with instant recall

• A potentially infinite number of patches can be imported/exported with the PolyBrute Editor

Voice engine

• Each voice has two oscillators, plus a sub-oscillator for VCO 2

• Powerful waveform sculpting features, such as variable oscillator sync, wavefolding (i.e., Metalizer)

• Two independent filters per voice

◦ Steiner: 12dB per octave (continuous multimode), plus our famous

Brute Factor for extra grit

◦ Ladder: 24dB per octave with distortion

◦ Use them in series, parallel, or any blend of the two

◦ Master Cutoff control to sweep both filters at once

◦ Filter FM (VCO 2 > VCF 1, Noise > VCF 2)

• Continuous soft > hard oscillator sync (2 > 1)

• Morph: Every patch has two sounds (A+B); most parameters can morph between

an A and B setting. Details are here.

• Three syncable, multi-waveform LFOs per voice

• Three loopable envelopes: VCF/VCA (ADSR), Mod (DADSR)

• Multi-colour noise generator

• Powerful, easy-to-use modulation matrix 

Performance controls

• Morphée, a 3-D controller that can modulate parameters along the X, Y, and Z axes simultaneously

• Velocity and Aftertouch (pressure sensitivity)

• Ribbon controller

• Pitch and Modulation wheels

• Octave buttons can shift keyboard range +/- 2 octaves from center

• One Sustain pedal input and two Expression pedal inputs (pedals optional)

Sequencer/Arpeggiator

• Polyphonic up to 6 notes

• Record and play back up to 3 modulation tracks

• Sequences can hold up to 64 steps; arpeggios can have up to 32 steps

• Swing, time division settings

• Multiple playback modes and directions

• Convert arpeggios to sequences

• Step record/editing

• Matrix Arpeggiator mode for constructing complex arpeggios

• Tempo range 30-240 bpm

PolyBrute Editor

• Free, downloadable application for registered PolyBrute owners

• Two-way editing: turn a knob, the editor follows, and vice-versa

• Adjust internal settings quickly, such as envelope curves, timbrality settings, etc.

• Librarian features (organize, search by category, export, import, share with other users)

• Doubles as a VST plugin for DAW control of external PolyBrute parameters 

Other hardware features

• Stereo outputs

• MIDI In/Out/Thru connectors

• Clock In/Out for integration with modular systems

• USB type B connector for use with DAWs and the PolyBrute Editor

• Headphone jack with independent level control

FWIW, the only Polysynths with decent CV I/O that I'm aware of are the unreleased Soulsby ATX, Moog One, and Baloran The River. But all of those are considerably more expensive. The Novation Peak and B Deepmind 12 each have 1 CV input.

• edited September 15

Oh yeah - the 12db Steiner Parker is continuously variable from low, band to highpass!! And it can receive filter FM from VCO 2.

Then the 24db ladder can be in parallel or series to the Steiner Parker. I bet it'd sound so good self oscillating as a sine in parallel with the Steiner Parker.

• edited September 15

@aleyas understood about the cv outs, i was sort of hoping for a mod cv out so the controllers could send cv. Maybe we get midi out from the controllers but of course we go from the infinite to 127 step resolution..... reminds me... when the hell are these companies gonna implement midi 2.0?

• Ahh I see what you mean now about the mod cv - I was reading these posts too quickly.

I too wonder when 2.0 features are going to be implemented. I suppose it'll take years for all manufacturers to get on the same page.

Btw, here's a better overview, and more audio demos on Arturia's site.

https://www.arturia.com/products/hardware-synths/polybrute/overview

• edited September 15

Man, those controls and the arturia step sequencer plus a matrix. Depends on more sound demos but Im tempted. If only it had poly aftertouch... that and bitwig MPE/Aftertouch editing would make this machine very very powerful. My eye is on this one!

why no mod cv out Arturia! Why!

• My main question is whether the "Morphée" controller is a partnership with Expressive E, or whether they ripped it off. Getting a bit dubious of Arturia after some of what they did with the Microfreak.

• Thanks guys for pointing me at the Minibrute and the Polybrute. I didn't really care about these until now!

• edited September 15

I think as long as they dont use the patented parts of the touche then arturia are fine. Pressure controllers have been around forever.

The microfreak thing ended up a bit weird indeed. They should have allowed the original dev actual input, offered some form of payment and basically respect.

i have to admit bias here.... i have a touché and i love it however the company are terrible snd i had many quality and customer issue with them. So discloser.

• That's legit. The name is a straight up rip so I was hoping they weren't lying to consumers about who designed it. But its good to know that Expressive E has problems as well :P

• edited September 15

Actually you’re right about the name! 🙂 i didnt see that, cheeky bastards 😛

• edited September 15

Maybe expressive E did make the controller part hence the 2500 euro price tag, the synth part costs 500 euro.

• Until stimming gets his German hands on one -

• Expressive and Arturia are both French companies. I would be surprised if this wasn’t a collaboration / licensed to Arturia.

• Mmm i dont think so, too expensive for Arturia. Touche has foam rings inside it and this is patented, i would assume arturia avoided using foam rings.

• Great synth, but my most desirable synths remain Matriarch and UDO Super 6 :)