Should the retrigger module be able to clock a gate sequencer?

edited October 2020 in How to's

I can’t seem to get the retrigger module to clock a gate sequencer. I even tried putting an impulse generator’s pulse after the retrigger, to feed the impulse to the gate seq but that also didn’t work.

Is there something obvious I’m missing? Maybe retrig ➡️ impulse ➡️ transient detector ➡️ gate seq? (There is a trigger/gate before the the retrig module of course)

btw, after testing retrig to impulse to gate seq, something caused my iPad to crash repeatedly. Now my iPad is in a state of continuous crashing. Crashes occur 15 seconds to 2 minutes per boot.. Drambo was the only app I was using at the time, not sure if it’s coincidence or something else.

Comments

• edited October 2020

@aleyas That's weird. I've tried triggering the Gate+Velocity sequencer with three different methods (Trigger button, square LFO and Retrigger), all work as intended.

@giku Why does the CV/Gate seq. only work when a time signal is connected? I don't see why this should be necessary.

• @TheInvisibleMan i was using the CV retrigger module from the ‘misc’ section, not the midi retrigger. So I’m wondering if the CV retrigger module can advance the gate seq

Yeah, the iPad reboots itself (apple logo appears). I can only use the iPad for about 15 seconds to 2 minutes. It has been like that for about 15 minutes already. At first I thought it was Drambo because that’s the app I opened again first, but it’s actually restarting if idle, or any other app open. I tried restarting it twice.

• @rs2000 thats odd. Now that I think about it, the transport wasn’t running so I disconnected the time signal. I was using external midi to CV into the retrig module.

I would retry it, but my iPad won’t stop crashing (never had an issue with my iPad before).

sorry for the re-quote ⬇️ I’m on mobile and can’t delete it.

• ive just gone out, I’ll try it plugged in when I get back and report back

• @aleyas Sounds like your iPad has a hardware defect. I recently had a very similar issue with an older iPad repeatedly rebooting after a while, giving me SSD errors on the debug console. Hurry up if it's still under warranty.

• @rs2000 ipad pro gen 1. It’s been an absolute workhorse for me, and I don’t use it for anything except music and graphic design. I don’t think it’s a hardware defect, as I’d imagine that would’ve surfaced by now in the past 4 years. I’m going to try to airdrop or webdav backup my important files in between crashes, then do a fresh wipe if the issues persist.

• @aleyas are you connecting the gate output from Retrigger to the Gate input (clock) of the sequencer, instead of the Time input? It works just fine for me. Cool idea!

• edited October 2020

Yeah, RETRIG gate out to GATE SEQ gate in. My intention is to use the gate sequencer to ‘punch holes’ in the gate stream coming from the retrigger module. Had a generative percussion piece going that was just a bit too dense.

btw, I’ve managed to get my iPad up and running for the last 20 minutes, backing up projects and racks. Needed to hard reset it twice (an hour off the 2nd time). But it seems to be functioning now. Thanks for the tips @TheInvisibleMan and @rs2000