Synth flow charts

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• As in taking a flow chart and building it in Drambo? Interesting idea...

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Got it. https://s3.amazonaws.com/arena-attachments/414578/f886cffe9297937b28dbf0da2a5b8a13.pdf this is good reading all around. Page 6 of the actual book (page 10 of the PDF) contains a legend of sorts for the different symbols used in this book.

the Sound For Sound drum tutorials were crucial earlier on for me getting comfortable with basic modular terms + approaching sound design modularly.

some other resources as well.

• I know Giku mentioned improving the sections module with tabs that you can switch between (instead of having to open and close sections all the time). It would be a huge help with things like FM, where 4 operators take up the whole width of the screen.

• Wavetables are the new FM source. They can be modulated just like FM, complex operators can fit into a single wavetable and only the more extreme FM configurations (the non-periodic, noisy ones) would still require one or two FM "operators".

If I had a Digitone, I think my first task would be to make a few best-of wavetables 😁

• edited November 2020

I need to mess with this more! It was pretty great on my prophet 12!

Digitone sounds good but honestly I haven't heard anything it does that Drambo can't (though I haven't looked that hard). The workflow seems nice overall though.

I'm still holding onto my Yamaha WT-11 for the oldschool gritty fm sounds. And a TQ-5 because its one of the best/worst looking synths out there:

• @quartzite Cool gear!

Elektron have done a great job making FM in the Digitone a very accessible and fun experience, plus they've put a lot of effort into making good presets. Its architecture is nothing exceptional.

• @Gravitas Yes they areth 😎

The more you dive into FM synthesis, the more you'll understand what a wide field that is.

I would highly recommend the NFM app for learning, experimenting and FM sound design. Sure, all can be technically done in D as well but NFM's UI is so much faster for FM sound design which needs a lot of patience anyway. Once done, you can still transfer the preset parameters to your own D creation. A rocket scientist could write a patch converter NFM => Drambo. 😇🙏🏼

• edited November 2020
  • edited November 2020
  • edited November 2020

@Gravitas

Edit.

As in 

How can I improve upon it?

Kick drums are as varied as anything can be. The more flexible it is, the better.

I would pick a few kicks from famous songs and try to nail them down, ideally with just a few knobs.

I'm not really a kick drum fan but a while ago, I've suggested to add this one as an alternative to Drambo's factory kick:

No FM though, and indeed FM looks like a good way to build kicks.

• edited November 2020

FM itself is very powerful already and once again, let me recommend NFM if you've already decided to spend some time getting familiar with FM.

Dialing in oscillator feedback, modulation between operators, mix levels of each operator and quickly adjusting the envelope and pitch of each is so much faster in NFM than in any custom Drambo FM patch. You can re-create it later in Drambo of course but for me, NFM is perfect for FM sound design.

It's a lot like Native Instruments FM7 and FM8. So if you have these already...