Expert sleepers es8/es9

Has anyone gotten these modules to work with Drambo? Or any info on how to get this going?

Comments

• edited November 2020

Multibus au version of Drambo works fine in aum. For pitch cv you need to multiply the cv by 0.8 and set output gain to zero. In order to use two cv sources per drambo track you can use LR to stereo mixer module. (let's say to have pitch cv on the left channel and gate or envelope on the right. )

When milti I/O and auv3 hosting will come out I guess there won't be a need for aum at all.

If you have any other specific questions - be my guest, ask away!

• I just got my es-9 yesterday. What an incredible interface! I was trying to find more info on the config tool and stumbled on this thread with a beta that offers more control with the added bonus of midi for controlling levels in standalone mode. https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=226245&start=75 (latest firmware in os's post at the bottom of the page)

thanks for the tips on cv multiplying. very helpful as I'm new to eurorack.

I've just spent a few hours messing around with cv tools in ableton, but tbh I'm much more excited about using the es-9 with drambo. Really looking forward to the coming addition of output routing.

Off to do some experiments w drambo and mirack.

• hey @Fedor

ok, I'm finally attempting to set up v/oct cv. how exactly do you go about multiplying the cv signal?

(like I said.. I'm new to this so apologies for not getting something that's probably very simple)

• ah nevermind, figured it out. an amp with +1db did the trick.

• This is truly wild fun

• You can use the Math Scale module to multiply the CV by an exact value.

• edited November 2020

Hey @palms, I use multiply and number math modules for scaling.

• edited August 2021

So I'm going to be picking up an ES-9 soon. Getting it purely for Drambo, although will use it with miRack and CoVariant too. Problem is, the ES-5 and the breakout modules require Silent Way, or some Max stuff to work. From the Website:

Unlike the ES-3 itself, the ES-5 requires particular software in order to generate meaningful output signals. Currently, the only such software is the 'ES-5 Controller' plug-in, part of Expert Sleepers Silent Way, and our Max/MSP external (see below).

Question for ES-9 / 8 owners: will Drambo be able to use the ES-5 outputs? If not, by hosting miRack in Drambo, and using miRack's Silent Way modules, could the ES-5 then be used?

If all else fails, are there any future plans from @giku re. Silent Way / Expert Sleepers integration?

• edited August 2021

In case it won't work I may implement an option for this. Any idea where can I find some specs for this special processing?

• Afaik, it’s a commercial plugin they sell. Not sure if there is public spec.

also, my understanding is that without the plugin it will not work, hope I’m wrong though.

• I've just emailed Andrew Os from Expert Sleepers asking about this. Hopefully he'll respond with something.

In the meantime, the best I could find was the source code for VCV's ES-5 encoder.

https://github.com/expertsleepersltd/vcvrack-encoders

• @giku

Okay Andrew got back to me. He sent me the same github link I posted above. Hope it helps.

(Got the ES-9 today. When the ES-5 arrives I’ll report back about compatibility.)

• edited August 2021

Seems to be a number of sinewaves changing their amplitude (and phase?) to represent the different parameter values.

I'm too lazy to read and understand the source code now 😋

Since miRack can be loaded in Drambo and the current version does have these ES modules (!), I'd suggest to simply use that.

• @aleyas how's the ES-5 working in Drambo with mirack?

Ordered one since I was always running out of outs on the ES-9 :)

• edited September 2021

I haven’t gotten the ES-5 yet. Waiting to see how far I take the ES-9 first (which isn’t too far cause I’ve been pretty busy recently). Let us know how it goes when yours arrives! Curious if mirack ES-5 module hosted in Drambo will do the trick.

What I really need to do is order the midi expander..

• Since this thread pre-dates the multi-channel audio interface update from April 2021 and I can’t find anything newer, I wanted to ask about the current status of integrating Eurorack with Drambo on iOS.

If I buy a DC coupled interface (let’s say an ES-9), am I effectively living the dream? Would I be able to bi-directionally route both audio and low frequency CV signals between Drambo and my Eurorack rig? Any limitations I should be aware of?

• Yes, since multichannel audio interface support I’m using my 18i20 (via ADAT out) with ES-3 to go nuts on my analog/cv compatible gear (regular audio signals included). It is dream come true :)

With ES-8/9 you’re set both in and out.

• Awesome, thanks @rec . Sounds pretty dreamy indeed! Getting close to pulling the trigger here. :)

• I’m using an ES-9 with a fairly small eurorack case. I’d highly recommend it. Picked up and es-5 and I’ll probably add an 8cv too at some point.

with mirack running inside drambo, the sky’s the limit.

• Thanks for the recommendation, @palms ! Do you use your ES-9 for working with external line level signals at all? If so does it do OK with them, or do you have to boost them digitally to the point where the noise floor becomes a problem?

• Boost them? :) You’ll have to watch out not to overdrive your ext gear...

for cv signals you keep them at nominal level (f.e for proper pitch tracking), for audio you drop from nominal level to taste.

• Makes sense. But I guess my question is: are there any preamps in the ES-9 for doing this prior to hitting the ADCs? Or does amplification of line level signals need to be either performed by an external analog amplifier prior to hitting the ES-9, or be done digitally in software after ADC conversion?

That’s the piece I can’t really find much info on.

I have more Eurorack attenuators than I can shake a stick at. Analog amplifiers that go above unity gain are a bit more sparse. :)

• good question. If you're using line level signals, you will usually have to boost them unless the module in question can handle them (such as the brilliant Mutable Beads). There are eurorack preamp modules that you can use for the job, but a relatively inexpensive analog solution I found is a module called the Booster Stage by Bubblesound. Gives you four ins and outs. There are two channel solutions as well that you can run a small mixer to, but I like having the extra channels for things like contact mics and a walkman, or anything I might have lying around as a sound source.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/bubblesound-instruments-booster-stage

• OK, got it. Not necessarily a show stopper, but that’s helpful to understand the capabilities! Thanks for the module recommendation as well. That’s a pretty good price and a nice slim hp footprint.