Combining Drambo and MiRack

2»

Comments

• edited February 2021

@sambo You have great points, some of them are feature requests already discussed long ago (including debugging/tracing).

Hats off for joining the challenge with us! 👍🏼

Since some of your issues might be fixed numerical offset and multiplication, let me suggest the Math => "Scale + offset" module. Simplifies a lot of operations while designing patches and it just feels natural to turn knobs like on a hardware modular.

Oh, and don't forget that the Graphic Shaper module doubles as a great look up table implementation, with an adjustable grid and grid snapping to get decent numbers out of it (including semitone note values if you need them) without guesswork.

As for your suggestion to add an alphabetical list: Wouldn't "drag down to reveal a search field" in which you could enter any sub string to search for modules be more useful and quicker than scrolling through a very long list?

• edited February 2021

@rs2000 I really feel we need some sort of meter module that can give an exact readout of the value from a given module. That would be very useful in debugging operations with CV. For instance, you suggested the Scale+Offset module, which looks very useful. But is the Offset applied to the input, before scaling, or to the output, after scaling. It would be easy to test with a meter. Without it, we're floundering around guessing. The scope is useless for this because its uncalibrated.

Edit: I guess you could jury-rig a MIDI CC generator for this, to map 0..1 into 0..127, but the resolution is a little coarse.

Also, many modules have none or limited Help. Could some of us contribute to this, to improve the experience for all? I'd be glad to send or post updated descriptions for the modules I understand.

• @ uncleDave: In vcv I sometimes use ML Modules Volt Meter - just to get a precise numerical display of a signal - yes it fluctuates but in practice most of the time it's not too difficult to follow - it's really useful and offers a means to check the signal when an oscilloscope isn't appropriate.

The Drambo equivalent could have a single input that would produce 6 display variants:

1. Raw numerical value
    2. Average numerical value over time (the temporal sampling window could be controlled via a knob).
    3. Voltage equivalent for those working with eurorack
    4. Equivalent Midi note if applicable
    5. Pitch in Hz
    6. Tonal pitch - display intensity/colour relative to how close to a defined pitch the signal is - a bit like how Ableton's 'Tuner' plugin works.
    7. Finally the name of the module/node that is producing the input signal.
  • edited February 2021

@me - and probably a voice select (assuming Drambo signals are polyphonic) and a L R mix select.

@giku - thinking further about look up tables - how about a node that either imports data from or is dynamically linked to spreadsheet (csv) format data - for both ease of entry plus opening up Drambo to other rich data sources?

• @Gravitas and rs2000 - thanks for the tips.

@rs2000 - yes I’m sure my suggestions aren’t original but it helps deal with occasional patching frustration…

Yes perhaps a text prefix entry option to limit searching through long lists of modules - but that also slows things down for those using a tablet. The iphone contacts list approach is also worth thinking about where a narrow parallel A-Z descending column acts as rapid navigator through long lists.

Will explore the Scale Offset - presume that this is equivalent to a eurorack attenuverter module.

Will also look at the Graphic Shaper in more detail to see how it would work as a lookup table.