dRambo

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• Well said, and thanks for the inspiring read.

This whole “build your own groovebox” thing has me putting together music for live performances with far fewer compromises. Also, my hardware units are getting a bit less love lately. Before COVID, I used to only take an iPad if I just needed to do some DJ style live remixes combined with Grooverider stuff. I saved the hardware setups for the full originals shows.

Once lockdown is over, Drambo and a controller or two (like my Akai MPD226) will likely cover what I’ll need for a live rig in the future and I can leave most or all of my hardware in the studio. I have a great setup of tracks up and running already with some sequenced stuff, some generative stuff and a couple of synths for live playing, spread across abou a dozen tracks. But there’s still quite a bit of work ahead of me to get this all configured and rehearsed for spontaneous live performance.

The fun here is that I don’t seem to be running into the usual “Oh, you can do A/B/C with this groovebox, but not X/Y/Z.” limitations of other apps. With Drambo, where there’s a will, there’s a way.

• edited February 2021

Thanks for sharing. I kept waiting to get to the bit where you explain why you spell it "dRambo" rather than the correct spelling. Is it an inside joke meant for one?

• Thank you @Gravitas for the enlightening read 😃

Indeed, D must be something like the adult electronic musicians' dream playground.

• edited February 2021

Weren’t you around when giku posted a video of a piece of paper glued to a moving fan?

it went bang bang bang like a Maschine gun , it was a hint at Rambo apparatus 😂

drambo is tongue in cheek, like the publishing day was first April

I find this amusing. Don’t you?

• That was in the pre-release Drambo mega thread on Audiobus that I think has been merged with others since so good luck finding it.

Talking about this makes me feel like a member of a sect or a secret society. 😇

• ^^

i tried to google for it but I just get dyson fan advertising ^^

• lol. oh yes I do remember that. Does that really merit spelling it with a capital R forever? It's like telling the same dad joke over and over. It only gets less funny.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Great story! I put iOS music making on the back burner a couple of years ago. There were some great synths and apps available, but it seemed I would always hit a wall with making various apps work together, or just getting things to work the way I wanted them to. Felt like my music making somehow always ended up with me putting my tech support hat on.

Imagine my glee when I stumbled across Drambo recently! It changes the game for me.

Can’t wait to see how Drambo continues to evolve!

• @Gravitas hey, sorry.. reading that back I realize it probably came off as rude, I was genuinely curious.

Anyhow, as a fellow jazzer, I find that Drambo scratches an itch that few electronic instruments get right. You can put ideas down quickly enough that the process of building is part of the improvisation. Shaping sound in real time. Endlessly inspiring.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I know I shouldn't be surprised, considering the quality of the other iOS offerings from BeepStreet (I love Sunrizer and Zeeon, BTW), but it is still such a pleasant experience when something as fundamental as a stock compressor module and a stock shaper module on the master gives that dirty oomph to a mix with minimal fuss.

I have other AU3 dynamics and dirt plugins, but I keep coming back to the stock Drambo modules because they're really solid-sounding units.

That's just an example. The sound quality of the entire app with its collection of modules is very appealing to me, especially coming out of an iPad Pro with the built-in high-end DACs.

• Absolutely @djspacep ! The stock reverb and delays are also among my most used. Even when searching for an effect in Aum, I often turn to Drambo stock modules.

One of my favorite combos is the delay rack + the ladder filter and shaper in the feedback loop. Gives it a really nice tape like quality. This kind of customization which really takes no time at all is so much more rewarding than endlessly tweaking a single external AUv3.

• edited March 2021

"Once in a while, an app comes along that changes the way you think of a computer platform. Like Photoshop on the Mac, Lotus 1-2-3 on the IBM PC, or GarageBand on the iPad. We just got another one of these apps. It’s called Drambo, from veteran music-app developer BeepStreet, and it redefines music apps on iOS."