Launchpad polyphonic aftertouch

Hello! Calling all launchpad owners! I just got a launchpad x, which i was most excited to use for its polyphonic aftertouch to modulate Drambo parameters. I have gone to the aftertouch settings and enabled polyphonic mode, and I am trying to use the MIDI Pressure Modulator in drambo to modulate paramters. Ive tried it in midi to CV mode, as well as using instrument racks in midi and midi MPE mode. But all im getting is one channel of midi data sent in.

Any pointers for getting true polyphonic aftertouch in Drambo?

Comments

• edited March 2021

Polyphonic aftertouch is a specific MIDI message, [A0 nn vv] where nn is the note number and vv is the value. It's not like MPE, where each note and its modifiers are sent on a different MIDI channel. Drambo would have to send it to the same voice as the corresponding note. I don't know if Drambo supports this.

Edit: It looks like it does, with the MIDI key Pressure module, set to Polyphonic. I guess that's what you described. Looks like it needs the same MIDI input as the corresponding MIDI to CV. Then you use its output to modulate whatever. I've nothing to test it with, but that's what I read. Not sure what the Reset/Contin option does.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @uncleDave @Gravitas thanks both. It seems like Drambo may not support it, but Polyphonic after touch in the Midi key Pressure modulator sure sounds like it should. But polyphonic key mode acts like it’s just using channel pressure, applying any keys pressure to all notes for the parameter.

@giku any idea if Drambo supports this kind of midi message?

• Interesting. The oscilloscope seems to pick nothing up for polyphonic after touch messages, versus channel pressure which you can clearly see. This mirrors the modulations effect.

• Confirming, I get polyphonic pressure messages being sent per note in midi monitor, but the corresponding midi key pressure module set to polyphonic keys doesn’t work when modulating anything.

• edited March 2021

Ch pressure affects all notes on ch (monophonic aftertouch) : hold a minor, wiggle on a — will affect the whole chord

polyphonic aftertouch is aftertouch per hold note

the simple aftertouch is just a single strip of something under the keyboard that goes across all keys, think ribbon controller

polyphonic aftertouch needs sensor per key (and used to be rare cs 80 had that, I think microfreak does that)

i have nothing to test this with now

• Not sure if Drambo case with it not working is just a functionality thing and my misunderstanding or a big. But the polyphonic aftertouch messages are definitely getting from the launchpad to the midi monitor, and channel modulation works. Just not polyphonic keys aftertouch.

• Giku will answer in the morning, I sent him a message.

• edited March 2021

@bcrichards , @Gravitas , @lala

I've already reported this a while ago.

Got a Beatstep sitting here waiting for poly aftertouch support as well.

My inconvenient hack was to use Streambyter to transform poly aftertouch messages into CC numbers.

• @rs2000 @lala maybe with some extra attention we’ll get a quick fix :) . Picked up the launchpad after talk here of native support in Drambo. Checking my apps to see if I bought streambyter...suppose you could do it in mozaic?

• More like I suppose someone could do it in mozaic :)

• As a reminder, let me repeat that the MIDI key pressure modulator in poly AT mode won't work without a note number field @giku.

• Don't you need Drambo to route the aftertouch value to the voice currently playing the note referenced in the message? This would be transparent to the user, since we cannot see the current note:voice assignments.

I suspect that your conversion of AT to individual CCs only works when different Drambo instruments are assigned to individual notes (e.g. drums), not on a conventional polyphonic synth.

• Wouldn't this require the 'Note Events/Sequencer' to store the poly-phonic after touch events as well?

Or is this strictly for 'performance' and 'playing' the instruments live?

Polyphonic aftertouch is 'tricky'. I don't know any DAW that has a 'poly after-touch curve per note' with somewhat good editing of the recorded data. Logic Pro can record it but editing is a joke...

• It sounds to me like too much of a good thing ;). I can see it being useful for drum sounds but having an 88 key keyboard emitting each their own aftertouch seems a bit much, especially when controlling one sound source.

• I guess they are trying to use it for drums ...

new version of live has elaborate editing of MPE data btw.

• edited March 2021

It makes sense when you play with 2 hands ...;

but I guess I would choose MPE over poly aftertouch for more expression.

• Both Poly and Channel Aftertouch have their use-cases and support for them would be nice to have.

I have quite hard time to see how that would be transparently supported in Drambo though at least until we get automation lanes in addition to the p-locks.

But sure, if the notes are not recorded into Drambo I can see the performance aspect of it when creating instruments.

• I would mostly use it for pad sounds. This is essentially a non-issue for me: I’m not a performer and I wouldn’t have an input device if it weren’t for having bought a launchpad on a whim. But the module is there in Drambo and doesn’t seem to work correctly. Giku has also mentioned performance pads for the future which would extend the kind of modulations available when playing.

• edited March 2021

ah. I thought wtf do they want with poly aftertouch as keyboards that send that are pretty expensive, so it must be grid controller & drums.

haven't thought of playing poly synth on a grid controller as I get knots in my brain from that. ^^

• Lol, I love playing synth sounds on the LPPro3 grid and the chord mode is a blessing :)

• I don’t use scales, I need the „wrong“ notes to create tension...

• So, I made a little StreamByter script to send a polyphonic aftertouch message with each note. I can confirm the the MIDI Key Pressure Modulator does not respond to poly AT in any mode, although the messages are received. It does respond to channel aftertouch (D0) in either mode, but of course that means the last value sent affects all the notes currently played. So it looks like, for now, the "Polyphonic key" mode is a pending development.