Send sysex to midi controller

I want to send custom sysex messages to midi output. For example: drambo midi sequencer send to midi output some sysex on every step (and pass step number as parameter to sysex data).

Comments

• edited June 2020

Everything is possible, but this one needs quite a lot of work - e.g. dedicated systex messages editor and its rather an exotic feature so its not a priority for now. But I'm gonna get back to this one day :)

• Maybe there is an app that converts CCs to sysex?

• I know it can be done in Streambyter (AUv3) and MidiFire (standalone):

The code would look like this for converting CC #16 on channel 1, sending 7F/127 for ON:

if M0 == B0 $16 $127

send F0 43 10 7F 1C 07 30 47 03 00 F7

block

end

• Thanx for answer. I just work on some hardware plugin, for my minilab mk 2 controller, that will it's extend feature. I will make control & blink pads in sequencer steps. If your app one day can send sysex, my developing hw plugin dont need me more to play with your cool app :)

• MIDI => AUv3 host => Streambyter => Drambo AUv3

or

MIDI => MidiFire => Drambo standalone.

MidiFire and Streambyter both use the same code for converting CC to sysex.

• I’ve put MOZAIC on a Drambo v1.40 track as an Audio Unit MIDI processor. It seems that SysEx generated in MOZAIC isn’t getting to the track output (notes and controllers are). It’s difficult to be absolutely certain because monitoring tools and interfaces aren’t always neutral but it would really help to know if SysEx is filtered by design at this release.

• edited April 2021

@AndyHoneybone I haven't sent sysex in a few releases but it definitely worked fairly recently. I used streambyter to control a yamaha wt-11.

When I tried it last I was using the midi output module (track output didn't exist yet). Maybe try your test with that module and see if you have the same problem? I could see the Sysex maybe being filtered because it doesn't have a "channel".

• You probably had a bad dream :)

Drambo's midi output module and track ignore the sysex. Just passing the sysex shouldn't be to hard to implement.

@AndyHoneybone

If you need just a single CC to rebuild the sysex it should be fairly simple with Mozaic or streambyter hosted in AUM or MidiFire.

If you need more than one value it's a bit more tricky, there is a Mozaic converter script (2 way) here:

• edited May 2021

It worked when I wrote my script last year. You are right that it is broken now though!

I pulled out my old script and the sysex doesn't seem to make it out of the module. mfxMonitor is usually pretty good about reporting sysex and hooking it up directly after streambyter it reports nothing. I did the same setup in aum and it works perfectly.

@giku it looks like there was a regression and sysex messages now no longer transmit between modules in drambo.

• @quartzite @mbncp01

Thanks for your comments - really helpful. Thanks too for the tip on using mfxMonitor. I've started using Pocket MIDI Mobile which isn't AUv3 but has an editor for creating SysEx strings and can send dump requests and capture the response. I'm testing hosts for a MOZAIC editor for a hardware synth.

• edited March 2022

sorry to hijack this thread, but seems the most appropriate one to ask, as opposed to creating a new one named “shiny lights”

Can I use mozaic for visual feedback to my RGB pads (minilab mk2) using CC output from Drambo transport controls?

I know the sysex thanks to these links (I have no idea how these guys reverse engineered it)

https://www.untergeek.de/2014/11/taming-arturias-beatstep-sysex-codes-for-programming-via-ipad/

https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=93116.0

Relevant part:

> F0 00 20 6B 7F 42 02 00 10 7n cc F7

> n is the pad number, 0 to F, corresponding to Pad1 to Pad16

> cc is the color: 00 - black to  7F - white

And I’ve studied mozaic’s EXCELLENT documentation, have no doubts on the programming part, or more precisely, want to figure it out for myself

What I would appreciate help is with Drambo:

• I understand D doesn’t handle sysex (yet), so I ask for help with generating CCs in Drambo, that I can use in Mozaic to trigger the generation of the sysex for lighting the pads.
    • Can I make the transport controls report back to the minilab? How do I make Drambo send a specific CC when I press play? or rec? Can I have the clock send a CC on every bar/beat, so I can make the “play” pad pulsate? Rec button turn red?
    • Mozaic can keep state. I’m thinking pads in gate mode, and state should be controlled by the script, instead of relying on the controller toggle mode or anything 
    • Mute: how do you best map it with a controller? 
    • What other fun stuff can/should I try?

PS: I know you all have much more important things on your hands. No hurries

• edited March 2022

@pedro I had used Streambyter for this kind of Sysex in the past (inside a different host) but I see no reason why it wouldn't work with Mozaic, except if Drambo filters Sysex...

@giku Does it?

• edited March 2022

@rs2000 @quartzite I was under the impression Drambo ignores sysex (thats what @mbncp01 said above), so I would not be hosting mozaic in drambo but in AUM. That’s why I would need to convert some drambo generated CC that mozaic would detect to build the sysex and send back to the minilab

• edited March 2022

I was thinking about making drambo send CC20 on each press of play, then maybe CC21 on each beat, and CC22 when pressing rec. Or am I doing this all wrong?

I don’t know how to send the CCs from drambo in the first place, so I haven’t tested yet. This is all theoretical

• I just tried again sending sysex to aum from mozaic within drambo, nothing ...

Instead of using CC it may be easier to send notes in some situations. For your beat lightshow just put down a few notes in a pattern and send that to Aum/mozaic.

For the midi to sys (or reversed) you should really use this script or at least part of it, though it's really up to you :)

For the start/stop play you can try sending the clock to Aum (I know it works), or use LINK, but I haven't fooled with this stuff in Drambo

But I don't know if Drambo can send/receive CC for the record button.

• @mbncp01 I see, no transport buttons feedback, then (atm)

That script has been most helpful in understanding how all of this plays together. Thanks!

• edited March 2022

Shoot, you both are right!

I just tested now with a sysex streambyter project I have and it didn't output. I got mixed up with an nrpn project I have. Sorry about this.

This seems like a good candidate for some attention @giku

• One work-around for the sysex support issue is to host the scripts in AUM and route the cc/note data from Drambo to AUM. That's what I did in the past that made me (incorrectly) think this was working.

Another (somewhat random) issue to keep in mind is that Drambo is built to always send a note off after a note on using the built in modules. This can be a challenge when trying to use notes to turn on controller button LEDs, for example. My solution for this was also to use streambyter.

• @quartzite & @giku Agreed, it should be possible to send any kind of MIDI message, at least when using MIDI controllers and MIDI plugins.

• edited March 2022

If you're using Mozaic in AUM you don't need to send anything to it from Drambo if all you need is transport and beat/measure. Mozaic has @OnHostStart , @OnHostStop , @OnNewBeat , @OnNewBar , etc that you can use. As long as Link and Link Start/Stop are enabled, Mozaic in AUM should be synced with Drambo just fine.

• Thanks for all the recommendations. I see I was misunderstanding a few things, but I have new food for thought. I'll resume my testing over the weekend, and I'll come back if I find anything worth sharing.