CV Sequencer as a sound source? Please explain?

Hi, so I was deleting instruments from a track, and it still kept playing sound. Found out that the CV sequencer out connected to the track output, and playing its sequence. Anyone knows why that is? It intrigues me because it kinda sounds cool 😆

Comments

• edited August 2021

The clicks come from modulating level …

nothing, volume event, nothing - click click …

• Don't know maybe clock it with an oscillator that goes super fast or something?!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited August 2021

I guess we mean the same thing

the voltage represents volume here (?)

it’s like turning up the gain up in a mixer (with no input) and moving the volume fader very quick , if u do it fast enough u get a click

(the graphic shaper does the same thing under certain conditions, it’s just Level… )

kind of creating impulses out of nothing/level jumps

• Alright, I can see in oscilloscope the ‘click’, sort of like a square wave. Now, I can’t remember my mixers making a click on moving them fast, but perhaps I’m not fast enough, and a computer is obviously faster. But I tried for example in aum, mapping a fast pattern from a sequencer to the volume, it doesn’t make a click. Also, does that work the same in hardware modular? Can you connect the output of a sequencer to a volume modulator and you get a click? Just wondering 💭

• edited August 2021

It works the same way in modular

u see by wiggling the volume u can create a waveform… if u do it fast enough

• edited August 2021

Yes I get that the moving of a fader makes a frequency of sorts, but where does the sound come from ? I can’t wrap my head around that (or why) simply movement of a fader (?) makes sound, there has to be a ‘source’ of sorts to start? I can understand that, in modular hardware, certain modules emit a voltage for example, and changing the voltage is usable for a variety of things, but how does using the voltage just changing the volume (or amplitude? I don’t know) result in sound?

I had crappy (old, used) mixers, and when a fader was up, a hum or hiss would come out, and I can imagine that could result in the click, but with this being all digital, there should not be any his or hum right? Unless intentional perhaps?

• edited August 2021

I think it's kind of like a DC offset. When the voltage moves from 0 volts to a positive voltage, that movement is picked up by the speaker, resulting in a click. CV and Audio are more or less the same thing. Take a square lfo and bring it into audio rate, it will just sound like a normal oscillator. When you bring it down below audio rate (below 20hz or so), then you will just hear clicking. After all, the oscillator needs to vibrate the speaker cone in order to create sound. An alternating sequence of step 1 full on and the next step off is the same as a square wave. It's true Drambo is digital, but it behaves as its counterpart in the physical world would. Clicking in this case is a good thing - that means we can use modulation voltage as audio sources. You can take this clicking, and send it into the audio input of the Waveguide module, Comb Filter or Phaser. Now the sequencer is an impulse source which you can use to create percussion.

Because Audio and CV are the same, you can output Drambo CV in AUM to other instances of Drambo, Mirack or IVCS3. Try putting an instance of Drambo in the Instrument slot, and and instance of Drambo in the FX slot. Now, output an lfo or a step sequence to the audio output of the Instrument Slot Drambo. In the FX slot Drambo, you can take the audio input, and apply it to any modulation destination. You'll see that the signal is the same. It can be fun to route CV in Aum, or across other apps which respond to CV. Model 15 comes to mind also. You can output a Drambo LFO through the audio output, and then with Model 15's trunk input, route that LFO to something like filter cutofff. Many possibilities to explore.

Perhaps the most practical application for this 'CV is audio' principal though is with MiRack hosted within Drambo. MiRack has up to 16 inputs. You can take Drambo's unique modulators like the step sequencer, synced lfos, pitch signals, gates, etc.. and you can route those directly into MiRack, to control the MiRack modules with Drambo modulators. Try it out, it feels so cool to trigger an envelope in MiRack with a gate sequencer from Drambo. (of course, the opposite is also true: you can take modulators from MiRack, and with 16 multi outputs, you can route them to control Drambo modules.)

• Thank you so much all!