How do we create other noise colours other than white and pink noise?

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Oops... edited :)

• edited September 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited September 2021

Well that sent me down a rabbit hole. The integrator sounds incredible on audio. Sorta sounds like heavy compression. Transformed some breaks I was sending through it, much for the better. Sinewaves sound great through it too. The integrator really wouldn't be out of place in the processor section as an audio effect!

• I’m sure it’s known, but may be useful for some... multiply is ring modulation in audio world.

• edited September 2021

digital noise

white noise & decimator

(its the digital equivalent of white noise & sample & hold (with oscillator) ... reduces analogue samplerate, hence the decimator ) ;)

tip: use key follow to decimator frequency (samplerate)

this sounds much less boring than filtered white noise ;)

• edited September 2021

other noises (is there a special name for this? 🤔)

white noise and phaser ( turn lfo in phaser down)

cuts several holes into the frequency spectrum that move with the phaser frequency ...

• edited September 2021

metallic noise

use the square wave osc drone known from 808 ... plus wave folder

without wave folder its a cymbal, with wave folder its the Roland HH noise ;)

• edited September 2021

another way to colored noise is

white noise into 3 bandpass filters in parallel

• edited September 2021

after we have done any /all of this, lets go further down the rabbit hole :)

now we have peaks and valleys in the frequency spectrum from our boring white noise from methods above ...

time to use the frequency shifter on this

for spectral shift 😀

• edited September 2021

if you use these noises as audio source

they like to have their own amp envelope

for further flexibility ...

• edited September 2021

extra tip:

drambo can play noise polyphonic

this is unusual (it kind of screams do physical modeling with me)

😎

(to do this connect gate of noise module)

• extra tip 2:

use these "new" noises as modulation source

its distributed random 😉

u decide in which areas random happens/doesnt happen and how much of it 😀

• edited September 2021

btw. brown noise isnt really a noise "colour", its named after

Robert Brown, who documented the erratic motion for multiple types of inanimate particles in water. 😎

The term "red/pink/blue/purple noise" comes from the "white noise"/"white light" analogy; red noise is strong in longer wavelengths, similar to the red end of the visible spectrum.

(Brownian and red noise are the same thing ;) )

• wow, thanks for all the noise @lala !

great info 😎

• My favorite noise is 'bit shift noise' and it can partially be emulated bu running white noise thru a decimator set to rough mode and adjusting the decimation frequency, optionally set the decimator frequency to 130Hz and add keyboard tracking (+max) to it for pitched noise.

• oh, we forgot pitched noise

record a sample of noise and pitch it up or down in the sampler

• edited September 2021

extra tip 3

dont forget you can press formants on to white noise via filtering

so the noise does noisy / breathy aaaah eeh iiih ooooh uuuuh stuff ...

• have fun exploring and keep your ears open :)

• edited September 2021

To get the 'rough mode noise' we would need to have an option to disable the interpolation in the sample players.

And well, 'aliasing noise' is also one kind of noise 😎

• edited September 2021

Hm aliasing isn’t very musical

you play up the keyboard and „the birds of aliasing pitch“ come back down on you …

nothing I would want on pitched sounds because it plays against you, not with you…

you play pitch up , it plays pitch down 🤨 frequencies clash and make digital rubbish „noise“ 🤪

but I know you’re into that „ 8 bit Nintendo sound“ ;)

whatever floats your boat I guess :)

mixed in frequency shifter with inverted key follow on frequency should be up your alley ?

its not really aliasing, but together with bitcrusher and downsampler/decimator it should be in the same ballpark

• Regarding 'Aliasing Noise' I mainly like it when pitching down short sounds 5-6 (or more) octaves as linear interpolation makes things sound 'muddy' and 'muffled' while no interpolation takes things into granular territory with sharp edges between samples.

This is also why I really like the 'Rough' mode of the decimator.

And yepp I've got a fascinations for 'chip type' stuff.

Cheers!

• edited September 2021

6 & 3 db (hipass) spectrum filter (line up)

its like pink and red (line down) but in opposite direction

another way to get blue noise is to calculate Cherenkov radiation 😎

( I just looked it up)

• edited September 2021

there also is grey noise

its white noise adjusted to fletcher Munson curve (there are newer more exact studies about this that I keep forgetting the names of but if you say fletcher munson everybody knows what u mean) ...

(won't work without spectrum filter, complex curve)

(this is actually interesting cause its adjusted to human hearing and not some technical values you pulled out of the hat)

u need multiple versions of this as its dependent on level ...

or something clever that adjusts curve dependent on level (cough @giku ) cool and exotic, never saw this anywhere in synthesizers 😎

• edited September 2021

For percussion the noise I've found most useful is various inharmonic noisy samples inside a flexi sampler. I control the playhead with an envelope and the playback rate allows for a lot of interesting variation. This also allows the noise sample to be pitched somewhat. This is obviously not "true" noise but that's fine in this case.

I was inspired by Kick 2, which allows for up to 3 different "click" tracks https://www.sonicacademy.com/products/kick-2 . Also inspired by the DSI Tempest's included pitched noise sample.

This definitely can be stacked with other techniques discussed by lala and others :)