Sampler - guide?

Hi there. I’m a bit perplexed about the sampler module, in particular the different colours and how to create a round robin style humanised drum pattern. Is there any decent guide about this module? It seems fully featured!

I want to use random slice with different hits within the sample to add humanised feel to my sampled drums.

Comments

• One way to do it is to use a random number generator to modulate velocity and keep the samples in different velocity ranges at the same level.

• yes, or the humaniser module. Works well, but I want to specifically use multi-samplers for more nuanced, 'real' feel. I just can't for the life of me work out the multi-coloured sampler thing!

• I came here for the same reason. The documentation doesn’t go into specific modules at all. Do quick descriptions exist anywhere?

• There's help in each module itself. Tap on the header, select Help. But they are often very terse.

There's a wiki on the Audiobus forum site, but it seems to focus on arcana. Too bad, really.

• Each colour represents a sample.

Top left hand corner, bottom right hand corner selects range.

Press+Hold moves the entire range.

The "R" represents root note of the selected colour/sample.

Each column/slot has 4 sections for different velocities.

Use the squares to select velocity levels.

• For completeness' sake, here's the (last known as working) sample file name syntax for importing and automapping a batch of samples.

{SampleName}_{NoteNameOr3digitNoteNumber}_{3digitVelocity}.fileextension

Sampler will try to map samples according to note name (also setting the root key from the given note name/number) and velocity between 001 and 127 for up to 4 samples stacked and velocity switched.

Vertical and horizontal gaps are filled automatically by stretching the mapped range to the next neighbor in a hopefully sensible way.

Levels will be uniform across different velocity windows in order to not destroy the velocity response in a typical setup where you would follow the Sampler with an ADSR that already adds adjustable polyphonic velocity response.

Since auto mapping completely relies on sample names, you won't need any SFZ or EXS files, just the correct sample names.

Batch renaming files can be done on MacOS using Finder rename or on Windows using the Multi Rename tool in Ghisler Total Commander.

You'd drop all files into one folder, upload them to Drambo and in Sampler, use the 

Create zones from folder > Select current folder

function.

As for sliced samples, since the introduction of the Flexi sampler and the option to add slice points in its sample editor, re-grooving an existing drum beat is certainly better done in Flexi. Slices are chosen by input note pitch in 1-Slice and Start slice = Note mode.