How to remove clicks ? (another 303 clone :-))

edited May 2022 in Drambo

I have problem with clicks.. it's quite simple patch (oscillator -> (ad env mod) filter -> ADSR amp) .. both envelopes (filter and amp have small attack (3-5 ms) and amp envelope has also significant release time - but there are still clicks (mostly noticeable when filter cutoff is closed and resonance is on high value)

any idea for some trick how to smooth out clicks or from where they may come ?

audio example:

download patch here :

https://patchstorage.com/d303/

Comments

• Hi,

I've just placed a few notes with and without glide and I just cannot get it to 'click'.

Dare to share the full project to be able to reproduce?

• edited May 2022

u can try the gate declicker

or delay all envelopes by 5 ms

why do fast envelopes click?

the problem

you play a note, free running osc wave form is made audible at some random point in time of the osc cycle, this is the "click" you hear , its not @ the zero crossing of cycle when u turn it on and off (play a note and let key go)

(gate declicker prevents this by getting a gate and then it waits for the next 0 x ing to turn on vca and to turn if of again = result no click) :)

• @lala Which iDevice do you have?

Dendy's patch doesn't click here.

• didnt try the patch

• Another option is to reset/set the phase of the oscillator on each new note so it starts at a zero-crossing.

Unfortunately this would not help for the SAW or Square waveform.

For SAW it would work if we had a way to set the start-phase of the oscillator. (think 'scrolling' the saw waveform on X or Y Axis until it starts at 0).

My current 'work-around' to get control over an oscillators start-phase is to use the WaveTable oscillator.

Being able to control the start-phase of an oscillator is nice for sound-design as well especially when starting to work with multiple oscillators and doing 'math' between them and it's also a good way to control the 'click level' when doing bass-drums using a sine or triangle oscillator.

Cheers!

• hm weird .. iPad MINI 5 .. it is noticeable only if cuttof is at 0, reso at max, env/decay on zero, accent on max, and you have some notes with velocity set significantly abouve zero (those are where accent is applied)

• hm.. video in first comment doesn't work, here it is again:

https://youtu.be/1UlpOPcl5xU

• The video sounds good as well. Maybe it's your audio interface?

No clicks here on latest Drambo release version, tried on iPhone 6 Plus (iOS 12.4) and iPad 6 (iOS 13.7).

• it's noticeable in video from very befinning.. it´s just subtle click on note start ... but ok if nobody cares about such subtle click then it's probably ok , i'm just perfectionist:-)))

• OK I'm able to make it click with ADSR attack down to zero.

Whenever there's a jump in the waveform, you'll hear clicks.

If you turn up the release time, the clicks will diminish because the tone is not faded down after the note end.

Like suggested already, you could also do this:

• edited May 2022

I suggested to integrate the gate declicker into all vca envelopes

so u would just need to turn on the “Hi-Fi” mode …

• edited May 2022

Finally found from where were those clicks in middle of accented notes - i had VELOCITY -> AMP modulation set .. looks like when AMP (simple AMP module) is modulated by velocity it generates random clicks on velocity changes ..

removed classis ADSR + AMP chain and replaced with "AD mod" in sustain mode with GATE declicker - problem solved.

also updated a bit oscillator section to have it looking more like original 303 (simple switch bettweb saw/square

Updated on Patchstorage

• Brilliant!! I’ve been having the exact same issue on one of my synths I’ve put together using an AMP module in the same way as you had - it’s been driving me nuts for ages! I’ve just copied your solution in mine and it has sorted it out 👍

thank you 🙏🙏

• edited May 2022

Brilliant!! I’ve been having the exact same issue on one of my synths I’ve put together using an AMP module in the same way as you had - it’s been driving me nuts for ages! I’ve just copied your solution in mine and it has sorted it out 👍

🤝