Shared / Alias Patten Clips

Hi,

one thing that would be great is shared clips. That is, if I duplicate a clip then all copies reference the original clip and changes to one affect the other

suggestions:

* make behaviour optional default

* allow option to convert to unique clip

* maybe give all instances of clip a slight coloured/solid background or a link icon to distinguish it

* [nice-to-have] Redrum style A1-H8 selection. Long pressing the clip (or maybe a selector below the launcher) would also allow you to swap the clip in-place from one clip to another

* [nice-to-have] automation clips , eg I can mix and match an A1 note clip with a B3 automation clip etc but swap either out for other clips (not sure how UI would work for this as they’d both need to fit in one clip I guess)

Would make Drambo perfect for me!

thanks

J

Comments

• I like the idea to re-use automations from other clips on the same track.

• edited July 2022

It’s a different workflow but I like how software like Orion / Maschine (also Caustic and some parts of Reason etc) approached pattern arrangement.

It’s a lot easier to experiment and change things later if you decide the arranged parts don’t quite fit together (although to be fair Drambo goes some way towards this by at least allowing you to create a new pattern from different clips)

digitalhobbit discussed it here:

https://music.digitalhobbit.com/post/108475643022/why-the-lack-of-aliasghost-clip-functionality

as for automation, does Drambo allow a separate column on the pattern clip grid just to automate one of the other clips on the same row? (Not actually purchased the app yet, just checking it out)

• as for automation, does Drambo allow a separate column on the pattern clip grid just to automate one of the other clips on the same row? (Not actually purchased the app yet, just checking it out)

Yes, each column represents a track. Each track is just a track module. You can automate anything that can be modulated in any track, as long as what you want to modulate comes "after" the thing that modulates it. Signal flows from left to right, top to bottom.

So, for instance, you could reserve your first track for automation, then place knobs, LFO's, etc on it. Those sources could modulate everything else on further tracks. You could record the automation on that first track. What you couldn't do is add a track at the end for this purpose since the signal won't flow backward to the earlier tracks.

• @number37 thanks for the info!