A place for basic Drambo questions...

Comments

• yes 👍🏻 :)

just tap the ‘two dots’ icon at the top bar to enter midi learn mode

• @vibethief Sure! Have you tried?

It should work in standalone just like in the AUv3 version.

• Oh wow that was right in front of me thank you! I'd seen that screen and just not made the connection.

Works perfectly🙏

• 👍🏼😊

• Is there a way to get sequences from one Drambo instance to another? The only way I can think of is to route midi from one to another and record it.

• Drag'n'Drop should work, at least it did last time I tried...

• @samu is correct. You can drag midi from one clip into a clip of an entirely different instance.

• That works. Thanks!

• Hello, I just started playing with Drambo and I would like to know if I can import .mid file? I tried using open or drag&drop a file but I haven’t got any success so far…

• No. You could load the imaginando LK sequencer as an AUv3 plugin and import MIDI there.

• In this case, I can’t benefit of the parameters lock functionality of Drambo, can I ?

• Not sure that I understand the question correctly. I would like to import some previous melodies that I made into Drambo, so I can use the step sequencer to add note probability, note velocity, trigger conditions and so on. The only way that I found to import them is to play the midi file and route it in Drambo and hit record. But it’s far from optimal.

Do you think if I use LK, helium or another sequencer, I will keep all the Drambo editing capabilities?

• Well, if you add an AUv3 sequencer then it's a closed instance that Drambo or any other host has no access to except audio and MIDI inputs and a few parameters that are exposed by the AUv3 plugin.

You can process MIDI going into LK or coming out of LK but it's going to be a "blind" processor because Drambo cannot "see" the notes inside LK.

If you often re-use MIDI clips and like to do it all inside Drambo then you'll have to be a little patient as these are on the list of future features.

• @manu you can still use plocks on sound generating modules that are playing midi from a hosted or external instance of LK, but as @rs2000 points out the behavior will be a little different than regular plocks, which reset every new trig. These would be “trigless” p locks because there’s no active step note in the Drambo sequencer.

you could record the midi from an external instance, like from AUM, or use the “bounce” trick of taking LK, sending it to a Drambo Au instance hosted in Drambo, recording on that instance, then dragging the clip out of the clip launcher from the AU instance of Drambo into the host Drambo standalone. Then you can plock away.

• Gotcha. You mean that I can still use the automation tool to control some parameters of the current instrument. While It will not work to add some trig condition, I can see some very fun things to do with!

For now, I will continue to record the midi file. I’m glad to ear that it is on your feature list!

• edited July 2022

Exactly 😊

To be fair, even a trig condition could be done if you add a "blind note" that toggles a note forwarding filter for MIDI coming from LK. It would always work on that time position and the filter would be placed in front of your sound generating rack.

Thinking about it, this could be taken to insane new depths, like only forwarding notes which are on a certain scale, switched by the blind note in Drambo's sequencer.

Or a utility that could switch drum mappings using a selected range of blind notes.

• You lost me a bit :) I’m trying to understand how to implement it in Drambo.

by blind note, do you mean adding a trig condition in the step sequencer that will trigger a note ? I’m not sure of the note forwarding filter, is it something specific to LK?

• edited July 2022

Are the the Drambo Mixer and VCA linear? Trying to make an additive saw wave with sine partials, and need to set precise levels. Tried already, but it didn't sound very saw-like. Just curious!

Maybe the Scale module would be more accurate for this application?

• edited July 2022

Well, just went ahead with Scale anyway. Got a pretty good saw using 16 harmonics. Divided 1 by the harmonic number, and used that to set Scale depth for amplitude. Synced oscillators to gate to get them all in phase.

Project success, sounds kind of like Audio Damage Phosphor :)

• edited July 2022

Indeed I mean adding a note plus trig condition in Drambo. Except that you won't use that note to make sound but rather to feed it to e.g. a note filter and use its output for controlling a MIDI forwarding switch.

Example:

This will allow you to use Drambo p-locks to control notes coming from LK.

I've used the note C -1 here for control.

• Hi! I just downloaded Brambo today and made a first quick track with it. I usually work on a modular with a hardware sequencer, so I'm used to patching and all that. One thing I can't find has to do with live jamming. For this track, I set up 2 tracks for the organ and 1 for the main synth (playing the triplets). I switched back and forth between which track was playing and which was muted. On many hardware sequencers, a mute works immediately, but an unmute will only take action at the start of the next pattern. In Brambo, though, the unmute takes effect immediately.

That's rather hard for patterns like the main synth. It has notes on every step, so timing is extremely difficult. Muting is bad enough, but unmuting at the wrong time really sounds horrible.

Is there a way in Brambo itself to unmute starting from the next pattern? If not, I'm using Brambo inside AUM, so if there's a workaround via AUM or another way, that would be very helpful too.

• edited August 2022

@Arandan The way I would set up my clip launcher is to have all mute combinations stored in different patterns so all you have to do live is trigger the right pattern.

Pattern launch buttons (the ones on the very left in clip launcher) can all be mapped to MIDI messages to be triggered from a MIDI keyboard or a pad controller like Novation Launchpad Mini.

• edited August 2022

What's the best way to make clock dividers or multipliers? I'm trying to use the math modules, will those work? To multiple a clock by a number for example?

• edited August 2022

Not really. They just change an input value to an output value. You want to change a clock frequency, but you only have access to the pulse stream, not the generator. You can use a Gate Counter to divide the clock (lower frequency); set the count limit to N to divide by N. Multiplying a clock is pretty difficult, inserting N equally-spaced pulses between each pulse. That's why hardware always starts with the highest frequency, and divides down. I guess you could sync a carefully tuned oscillator to create pulses that would be very close to an exact multiple of the clock frequency. It would be tricky, though, and would need adjustment for any change in the input clock.

• Interesting, I'm coming from using VCVrack and miRack, where this is easily possible through existing modules. A clock divider module in Drambo would be handy. I use dividers and multipliers frequently in my VCV patches.

• edited August 2022

@auxmux Drambo is unique in the way it handles signals.

The time signal, for example, is a constantly rising value that represents the current pattern position.

This allows for easy scaling of time speeds without depending e.g. on PLL circuits that can multiply clock pulse frequencies.

Another unique thing are the polyphonic signals like CV, gate and velocity.

Oh, and a clock divider already exists, it's the "Pulse Divider".

• Got it, for pulse divider, how do I use it so it doesn't generate an audio signal? I patched into the gate input of midi of Midi Note Generator, but the audio signal is still passing through? I want to divide the base clock to generate related gates.

• edited August 2022

im using "the amen" as "clock" here,

but the principle is the same

have a look

"I want to divide the base clock to generate related gates."

you could also simply change the playback speed of the clip ... ;)