A place for basic Drambo questions...

1235»

Comments

• Could you post a screenshot? It sounds like you may have an extra connection automatically generated by Drambo. Like, if the divider is the last audio-capable module in the rack, it may be auto connected to audio output.

• Thanks @lala I'll check that out. Pretty cool.

Ah, good point, @uncleDave I forget about Drambo's auto-connection, that might be it.

• So, I want to use miRack as a multi-out single AU instance in Drambo. I want to route audio out of the AU into individual tracks in Drambo while using those same tracks over different midi channels to sequence the AU. The approaches I have tried aren't working because midi or audio won't route correctly. Thoughts?

• What are you aiming for?

Do you have something close to what you would like to happen?

What is the midi going to do to the individual tracks after the audio has left MiRack?

• edited August 2022

I have a similar setup in AUM but trying to do the same in Drambo only. Basically one instance each of multi-out miRack and multi-out Drambo.

Drambo sequences all tracks including multiple midi channels into miRack. Basic 8 track setup is miRack for 4 midi/synth tracks and 4 drum tracks by Drambo.

In Drambo, I don't have any 'dummy' or empty tracks. 4 Drambo tracks sequence one miRack instance, which outputs 4 stereo audio tracks. The 4 Drambo tracks that generate midi for miRack also output the corresponding stereo audio associated to each.

I know I could achieve this with multiple miRack instances but trying to avoid this, so that I can have logic and other modules that are interacting with each across tracks.

• Could you send me an example project of your setup for AUM?

and I'll see about making a template for dRambo for you.

• Sure, can do, thanks.

• edited August 2022

@auxmux

How about throwing both AU Drambo and Mirack 16 on Track 1? Then you could use AU Drambo as a sequencer for Mirack. You could have your four MiRack synth tracks on Tracks 1-4, and your four Drambo drum tracks on 5-8. Au Drambo would just be the sequencer for Mirack, to allow it to live on track 1.

I recall giku mentioning something about a midi matrix. The midi routing seems the only issue with doing it all in Drambo Standalone without using feedback modules.

Also, are you aware you coul add 4 more tracks to drambo for a 16 track project? With 16 tracks you could have:

1-4, sequence Mirack midi

5-8 Mirack audio (mirack on track 5)

9-12 Drambo drums

Final tracks are Main, Send A, Send B, Master

• Interesting idea @aleyas The only downside is changing patterns in the AU as in the app, which I guess I would set at same repeats. The other approach you mentioned for using feedback for midi could be worth trying, tho I can't quite picture it. Agreed a midi matrix like AUM would totally solve this.

• edited August 2022

I figured out a solution, using Utility Racks to host Drambo Audio Tracks (since anything can be in a rack, why not tracks) for the audio coming out from miRack multi-out AU. I still need to use separate midi tracks for sending midi into miRack AU, but it's a workable solution.

Another question, how do I access any tracks after the 16th track? I can't access my Master Track in this setup.

• Is there a way currently to convert clock to pitch?

I ask because I've moved to using wavetables for most of my LFO functionality, and it'd be useful if I could use incoming clock to determine the pitch that keeps the wavetable in sync.

• @quartzite I've always used the Graphic Modulator for that. But I like the idea 😉

• Hi, I’ve recently started using Drambo, finding it amazingly powerful.

is there a way to have a particular MIDI note in a clip only play once every n times the clip plays?

• Thanks Burner! I was really close, thanks for helping me the rest of the way.

I was actually looking for something slightly different - having a note play only n times a particular scene plays, but now that I understand cycle conditions, I have a whole new set of ideas to achieve what I want :D

• I would like to stem record the op-z into Drambo. I have created a channel with audio input set to USB 1/2 which is the op-z. Problem is, it will create a feedback as the master out goes back to the op-z as I am using it as my audio interface.

Question: can I record incoming external audio with stem recording without monitoring it? Muting does not work as it won‘t record muted channels.

• edited August 2022

tap the header for the op-z track and change "Audio to 1" from "Master" to "Default (module out)", and be sure the module output is not connected.

• Aside from copying and pasting into the Piano Roll, is there a way - or multiple ways - to combine patterns into one? For example, I want the bass line on track 2 and a melody on track 3 combined on track 4.

Copy/Paste works, but can be finicky. I'm totally fine doing it this way, just curious if I'm missing or totally blanking on a different way to combine tracks. Thanks!

• So I feel like this existed, but maybe I was imagining it, is there a way to do stem/track export of multiple patterns at once?

• Hello! Drambo newbie here. What is the recommended way of adding drums to an existing project? I’ve seen that I can add a sample based Drum Machine template as a * new * project, but not to an existing one. In a wider context, is the built in Drum Machine any good, or is there an Au3 Groovebox type plugin that people would recommend? How about the EG Pulse Au3 Drum Machine, does it fit in well with Drambo?

• edited November 2022

There's a lot of directions you can go with percussion in Drambo. You could create a sample based drum track and then copy it multiple times and load different samples.

If you are looking for sample-based drums, I found Pure Acid's sample kits to be a solid choice for classics (and you get a solid 303 as well!). Right now I'm diving into Drum Computer for its drum synthesis engine and presets. There are also a bunch of drum synthesis projects up on patchstorage :) https://patchstorage.com/platform/drambo/?search_query=drum . The standard Kick Drum module in Drambo is also a solid choice.

• Thanks! That’s given me a few things to explore. Really helpful 😀

• edited November 2022

Has anyone used the 4T Rhythm Drum preset? I’ve downloaded it and installed it, but I cannot get it to make any sound at all. There’s a 2 minute video which is supposed to be an instant guide to using it, but I must be missing something obvious… Any clues, anyone?

• edited November 2022

It's just a sequencer, outputting MIDI. You need to add MIDI to CV and some instruments to get sound. The video is using Klevgrand's Ting AUv3 for the sound.

I got it working with Ruismaker; need to adjust the note for each Track to Bram's "black notes" standard. Also ran it with a Chinese percussion soundfont I have.

• I wondered about that and I tried to get it working with the AN Kick device but that didn’t work. I didn’t think to try it with a full MIDI driven Drum kit. I’ve just tried it using the FAC Drum kit, and I’m getting beats! I’ve now got to work out exactly how it’s controlling the beats. Thanks so much for the advice 😀

• edited November 2022

I’ve been using Drambo 2.0 for a couple of days now and for the most part am finding it pretty intuitive to learn. One thing that * is * a mystery is importing of presets. Like a lot of people, I guess, I went to patchstorage.com and grabbed a few presets, including, for instance, 4T-ARP. Every place I’ve tried to import it, I get the less than helpful message, “This is (a) MIDI rack preset. Please reimport this file to the appropriate module”. If I had known what the appropriate module was, I would have chosen it!

Could some kind soul firstly tell me where I can start the import process for 4T-ARP, and then show me the underlying principle for selecting the * appropriate * module? This problem applies to “.drmodule” files. I’m guessing that the “.drproject” files can be opened like any other project.

I’m coming to Drambo from a Bitwig background, and so far Drambo stands up pretty well! With Bitwig, though, you just have to select “Save to Library”, and any new preset is automatically categorised and saved accordingly. Given what Drambo * is * capable of, surely BeepStreet could provide something similar!

You’ll notice from a previous post that I managed to import and use 4T-DRUM. Believe me, that was entirely luck and zero judgement 😉

• edited November 2022

This video has saved the day! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AocGHWO8DPY

In short the trick seems to be to select the hamburger icon alongside “Instrument rack” and then use the “Import” and “+ Folder” to import and create new folders. Note that you should create and select a folder to import a preset to * that * folder. You don’t appear to be able to move a preset to another folder once it’s imported. I may be wrong about this of course!

The underlying principle seems to be that most presets will either be imported into the Instrument Rack presets or into the Processor Rack presets. I haven’t looked at Track Presets yet, but it looks as if you double tap one of the track boxes in the middle of the screen to access the import facilities. The video also mentions the importing of Project Presets, which is a little more complicated than I thought!

• edited November 2022

Maybe a bit different point of view based on my workflow: When I download presets, I usually move them to Drambo directory via WebDAV (should be soon migrated to internal iOS Files app support). If you search for WebDAV e.g. in this forum you find more tips on how to access it using 3rd party apps. This will also help you with organizing presets and moving wherever you want after importing.

Now how to distinguish various presets: First, distinguishing between projects and presets is easy based on their file extension: .drmodule is any module preset (including most common instrument and processor racks) and .drproject is project file extension.

If you download .drproject file from patchstorage, it's up to you how you use it. Usually projects are useful to share when you want to show more complex connections across tracks, or any other stuff like MIDI mapping, loaded AU instruments etc. Sometimes people use projects also for stuff that could be simply an instrument or a processor rack. Not a problem, you can tap on that rack header > Presets and save it as a preset.

And as for .drmodule, the truth is, you need to know which module this preset belongs to. I am on beta so this might not be the behavior of stable version, but what I see is that whichever .drmodule file you import to any module, it will allow to import it and also open it. So you may end up with presets for different modules, e.g. a instrument rack presets under delay presets or vice versa.

This seems to be undergoing some changes in development versions but good to know there is such inconsistency and I agree this could be confusing.

Anyway, definitely take a look at WebDAV for helping you organizing your presets.

Cheers!