Inspiration for your new Drambo drum box

edited August 2022 in How to's

This box is a nice example template for a fun Drambo project.

After a quick watch, I didn't spot anything that could not be done inside Drambo 😊

Also make sure to read the PDF manual to see what's behind the algorithm and mode combinations for each voice. It's quite a deep machine behind the simple controls.

Comments

• @rs2000

"After a quick watch, I didn't spot anything that could not be done inside Drambo 😊"

Brother,... on the same page. 😁

• @rs2000

Here's a quick play for one of my most recent projects.

Whilst I was layering the violins I decided to play in some drums.

It's a bit off the cuff so the audio is raw iOS microphone so..you know...😏

Here we go...

• For this particular project.

Tracks 1-4 are

1 kDrm

2 sNr

3 Hihats + shakers

4 perc

The dRms have 13 selectable sounds each which are individually mapped

to a knob per Track so that the sounds can be selectable during a performance,

5 NeoSoul

6 Swarm Trumpet

7 Bleass Formidable

8 Korg and iSymphonic legato strings

32 - 34 Korg solo violins

33-42 JV1010 midi channels 1-8

43-50 Proteus 1 midi channels 9-16

A - OtherDesert Cities

B - external Lexicon MPX-200 reverb and effects unit.

and various effects and external processors.

• 50 tracks?

I bet you're the first one to test with such a monster project πŸ˜ƒπŸ‘πŸΌ

• edited August 2022

The main appeal of the Perkons is not the sound as much as it is the immediate interface. Definitely can make all these sounds in Drambo. Maybe with Fabfilter Saturn/Volcano if you want top-of-the-line distortion/filter emulations.

The only major thing missing from Drambo interface-wise is mapping the step sequencer. If we had that (with bidirectionality), you could use a midi controller or two and get live-n-dirty with it!

My current "solution" to this problem was to re-buy an MFB Tanzbar and processing the heck out of it live through Drambo. Obviously not the same, but using that setup with a small knobby midi controller you can have a lot of similar fun.

• @quartzite

"The only major thing missing from Drambo interface-wise is mapping the step sequencer. If we had that, you could use a midi controller or two and get live-n-dirty with it!"

I use the LaunchControl Xl and/or the LaunchPad X for step control.

I've got a load of Midi Rack sequencers that can do the job now

throw in@ZhouJing 's https://patchstorage.com/m1sha/

and you're laughing.

• Its true, you can definitely get something working with the current state of Drambo! Those projects are impressive.

It'll be more accessible when its supported with the standard sequencer though. I like using that sequencer ;)

• Agreed, it will be more accessible once supported by the main sequencer.

Still, I enjoy the fact that we can still do the same or similar things as the Perkons already. ;)

At the moment I'm enjoying the "Chance" and "ARP" module combo. 😁

• My favorite currently for percussive stuff is an LFO modulated Euclid sequencer. Midi map a bunch of params around that (maybe with graphic shapers to "quantize" the settings your knobs select) and you can do a ton :)

• Ooohhhh,...I haven't done that yet.

That sounds like fun.

• edited August 2022

Yea! And you can take it a step farther by using the "normal" sequencer to set the pitch and probability of the euclid sequenced notes. Gets really wild.

Drambo is king when it comes to wild modulations 😍

• @quartzite "Drambo is king when it comes to wild modulations πŸ˜"

I went shopping for EuroRack modules the other day or week I should say and

quickly realised that dRambo has saved me a ton of dough with the LFO capabilities alone.

I look at synths and almost immediately think to myself these days,

"Can I build something similar in dRambo".

It is quite wild for sure.

• edited August 2022

Hah totally! Folks spend like $200 for a wavetable LFO. I can have 50 of those for less than 1% the price ;). (Though there are limitations piping that many out to modular, but you get a good audio interface and its still so much more cost effective)

• @quartzite

"Hah totally! Folks spend like $200 for a wavetable LFO. I can have 50 of those for less than 1% the price ;)."

I felt this after putting together a step sequencer similar to the Cirklon sequencer which costs £1700.

As it's a Midi Rack I can have as many as I like going on.

I almost finished one project with 16 x 16 step sequencers but I've got send my LC XL to Novation for repair.

I've got another LC XL coming so when that arrives I'll finish that project and do a vid.

It's a bit bonkers. :)

• edited September 2022

This is slightly tangental to the original post... but looking at the Polyend Play it could be a powerful-if-expensive sequencer option for Drambo. Or just some cool inspiration for @giku regarding controller integration.

It looks wonderful for creating sequences, the parameter recording/locks look spot on, and the performance options for tracks are really rad as well.

I have a few other Drambo+hardware projects I'm working on first, but I could see getting this controller to use its midi tracks to control Drambo directly. Would be so nice for live performances. Maybe by then Polyend will add more to the audio creation side besides sampling.

The best part about the Perkons IMO is the direct access to multiple sequences and params. With the Polyend you'd have to switch pages to get to params, but all the sequences would be right infront of you.

• edited September 2022

@quartzite I think that could be covered by MIDI feedback in controller support, including Launchpads, Launchpad Pros and other gear with LEDs.

It's certainly a good idea to use Drambo as a sound engine for such boxes. Controlled live by an armada of joysticks controlling XY pads πŸ˜„

• Another idea:

Set up a Drambo patch with different engines for kick, snare, toms, hats, cymbals, clicks, bells, percussions and have randomizer buttons in each.

A super fast creation of new drum kits and working with S&H modules, the values would be saved with the project.

A luxury version could include a 1-level undo function by the help of shift registers built with S&H modules.

This could make the Syntakt appear boring in comparison - if anyone's interested, that is πŸ˜‰