CV Seq Step Mapping

Hi, is it possible to map incoming notes to specific steps (notes 0 to 7 to step 1 to 8) so that the step counter would be accordingly triggered by them?

Comments

• The CV and Gate/Velocity sequencers have a time input that increases by the same amount for each next step.

By converting MIDI notes to pitch CVs (MIDI to CV module), after scaling+offsetting (one octave is only an increase by 0.125), that signal can be used as the time signal.

• Thanks @rs2000 but I'm afraid I'm not doing the right thing yet:

if I don't play with the offset or the amount then there is no step movement at all, but I assume there are multiple things that are not set up properly yet?

• @Moa13 No problem, good that you've showed the connections!

Please connect the input of the Scale/Offset module to the "musical note" output (pitch signal) of MIDI to CV, not the gate output which will always be "1" with each note.

Also, you'll likely need a scale factor much higher than 1 if you want each semitone to jump to a different step.

BTW, how did you create that animated gif?

• also, the clock input to the cv sequencer should be connected to the track 7 clock output instead of the scale/offset module.

• edited November 2022

Alright I'm getting all of the steps movements now but they still not move in the same order as the incoming notes, perhaps there is a better explanation of what I'm trying to do: I have a sequence of notes that trigger external drum voices with these exact tunings, C-2, D-2, E-2, F-2, F#-2, G-2, G#-2, A-2, last four notes of the clip are ascending again, G#-2, G-2, F#-2, F-2. I want to use all the notes to visually requantize the individual step pitches by CV Seq, as another external device is depending on those notes as triggers but it needs it's own tunings. The idea is to record those CV's (CC Gen connected to CV Seq) back in to Drambo as automations so they stick with the drum clip I'm working on, then moving on to the next clip and record new ones by changing the CV Seq values. Maybe you have enough experience to point out if this would be a realistic scenario at all? The animated gif was done in 2 ios apps - 'Record it'! and 'GIF maker'

@bangzero zero, thanks but from what I've gathered I think the whole idea here is to guide the steps by 'time' in to the scale/offset module unless I have also to connect CV Seq's clock to somewhere as well?

• @Moa13 Since your notes are not equally-spaced (different numbers of semitones between notes), it will be difficult to scale/transpose them to the CV Sequencer steps. Maybe you could insert dummy semitone steps for the unused notes.

Alternatively, you could just use a Graphic Shaper to define the remapping. That might be simpler than the CV Sequencer. You'll still need to transpose and scale the incoming (and outgoing) notes.

• edited November 2022

Here's an example of what I mean.

The first Scale (Scale+Offset) makes all notes positive (they start at -0.5), with each octave having a range of 1. So, the lowest octave is 0..1, second octave is 1..2, etc. Quantize and Subtract make any note fall between 0 and 1, regardless of the octave (Quantize output is the integer octave "number"). The Graphic Shaper applies an arbitrary mapping to those notes. The Shaper grid is set to 12 steps on each axis, so the notes fall on the grid lines. The second Scale raises the resulting notes by 1 octave, and makes the range 0.125..0.250, as expected by the osc. The Osc and Amp confirm the results. You could adjust the Graphic Shaper to your mapping, and transpose the result to the desired octave.

• If you are always working in the lowest octave, C-2...B-2 in Drambo, you can skip the octave quantize, as shown below. Note that the Amount value in Scale 2 is actually 0.125.

• Yes, using the graphic shaper for arbitrary re-mapping would be my suggestion too. Using snap to grid and/or bars, creating mappings is easier.

• Thanks for extra thinking along efforts @uncleDave

The graphic shaper is now doing exactly what it should on the CC output but I think it might not be a good idea to record the knobs / automation back in to Drambo this way as the result seems to be garbage:

As far as I can tell there is at this point no way to record the graphic shaper output directly inside Drambo in to other clips? So looks like I might just end up using utility knobs to draw in the automation per clip as that doesn't have to leave Drambo first either, thanks for all the input!

• This problem, of using MIDI generated in Drambo to drive another track, has been discussed here a few times. You need an external app capable of forwarding MIDI, for example the StreamByter scripting app. When loaded stand-alone, StreamByter publishes virtual MIDI in and out ports. Route output from the track generating the MIDI to StreamByter, then set the track for recording to receive from StreamByter. You don't need to do anything in StreamByter to make this work; you're just using it as a MIDI pass-through.

• @uncleDave so with that, if I'd like to set up the main track as a chord generator to be able to record in to all other tracks, the only way this would work now is by routing the main track out of Drambo and then routing it back to the receiving tracks? Or is there a way to do that internally with note data?

• I believe that's the case. Because you need to select the MIDI input for a track using the track setup menu, and you can only select external sources. And that is necessary to record the MIDI for the track.

• Traditionally, one of the most requested features.

@giku A positive/negative track sequencer delay that applies for both recording and playback (like in desktop DAWs) would help to work around the 10ms MIDI loopback problem.