Comments

• edited December 2022

Perfect means perfect for a certain purpose, right?

I have the original APC Mini and I quite like it. Might work as a 64-step pattern sequence controller, mixer controller (using the pad LEDs as switches for different parameters and coarse value display as bargraphs), shifted or switched modes to control track parameters etc.

The Key 25 has a little bit of everything, my only gripe about it is the 25 key width which doesn't even allow for playing some chords at once.

My own preferred combo would be something like a 32-key or 37-key controller plus a Launchpad Mini, an APC Mini and a Faderfox Live controller that allows me to switch and crossfade scenes and control an XY pad using the joystick.

If money and development effort was no issue then I would wish for Arturia Beatstep support on an iPad Pro 12.9 that includes a 2-line context sensitive label strip that shows the current assignment of all encoder knobs on the Beatstep, so I could put the Beatstep right below the iPad and always see the mapping like on an Ableton Push or a Novation SL mk3.

Even if the device has only 8 rotary encoders, knowing the currently mapped function is essential IMHO which brings me back to voting for more customizable UIs on the iPad first.

• edited December 2022

Had similar thoughts. Native Launchpad support or APC Mini support for Drambo would be awesome. Every project is different, so manually midi mapping a controller each time for scenes/clips isn't ideal.

• On the other hand, users will want to control sequencer steps, rack buttons or play scale keyboards...

• Different goals: I'm thinking more from performance side and jamming which is where the use case for APC and Launchpad specifically comes in. Composition as you're describing is much more complex to implement.

• "Might work as a 64-step pattern sequence controller"

Is this possible? To use a launchpad or similar as a grid?

A buttons and knobs workflow where you could do that with eg launchkey mini would be extraordinary, especially if you could assign knobs, and have "hold and twist for p-lock" functionality like elektron.

• I think eventually this is the natural direction for Drambo in terms of hardware replacement therapy. Two way communication on a step level with the ability to hold a step on a controller and tweak a value for that step. I don’t personally work that way but can imagine all Elektron heads going nuts.

• I’ve done this already.

It’s definitely more than doable.

This was my first 32 step input sequencer and since this piece I’ve designed others.

• @pogodance

I’m also about to do a version for the LP X which has the step input pattern stuff

on the bottom two grids and the top two grids will be adjustable up and down for something i.e “Pitch”.

As the LP X has eight Custom modes I’ll most probably expand it for all eight.

So that’ll be eight 32 step input sequencers (whom I call “Sage Family”) when using dRambo with an LP X.

• I strongly agree. Dedicated hardware to control drambo in this kind of way, drive it with a box like octatrack or push, would be amazing.

• Whilst we talking about this…

How does the OctaTrack work alongside dRambo?

Does the Octrack have two way communication in regards to midi?

Can it function like a straight forward midi controller?

If does function like a straight forward midi controller is the midi mapping fixed or is it flexible?

• It's been a while since I've had a proper browse here, so I hope this is still relevant for you @gravitas

1) I've only tried syncing Drambo (standalone mode) to the OT, (not the other way round) and transport / sync are very solid!

2) AFAIK there's no midi talkback on the OT - as in the ability for the OT to update knob values / positions to those of a newly loaded project in Drambo. OTOH practically all the audio track functions can be controlled by midi.

3) Yes

4) Yes with one caveat: The OT has 8 midi tracks each of which sends pitchbend, aftertouch and 8 freely assignable cc controllers + there're 3 midi LFOs per midi track. The caveat is the crossfader and scene switches have fixed cc values. Not a biggie for the crossfader, but the scene switches only send CC values 0>16, not 0>127, so you can't switch Drambo scenes / variations with the OT without a midi processor.

• I just picked up an arturia minilab 3 and man this makes my workflow reach a new level

8 knobs

4 faders

mod/pitch wheel slides

arpeggIator, chord, hold Modes

transport control options with (DAW integration)

8 very accurate velocity pads with 2 banks

25 keys

i love this thing with drambo

• Nice. Congrats.

• Thank you! (you inspired me with this thread/your music creations ; and then @gravitas cemented the proof that a midi controller really makes drambo truly a pleasure to work in.)

• edited March 2023

Well, I've definitely fallen in love with my Novation LaunchControl Pro MkIII. Using it alongside a Faderfox UC4 and an EC4. Its definitely not the cheapest choice, though you could definitely get away with just one Faderfox controller. Used deals definitely made this setup not totally overpriced.

My plan is to sell my Akai APC40MKII, which is what I used before. Its a great all in one controller, but the LaunchControl Pro has multiple modes so you can easily switch between note entry (with velocity and aftertouch), chords, sequencers and custom modes to launch Drambo tracks.