MIDI controllers with incremental knob encoders

Comments

• Beautiful box!

I think I'm going to keep my LC-2 for a while, it's a very old model but still has loads of encoder banks, joystick, 6 faders and a crossfader. Quite handy for Drambo.

I wish you great fun with it and don't hesitate to discuss anything MIDI-related here.

• Im interested too. I saw a used Nocturn at 29€ in a shop this morning.

• edited June 2020

Would someone here who owns a Nocturn please try mapping in Drambo or record a few MIDI messages from knob turns, button presses and the crossfader? (Hexler Protokol is a nice iOS MIDI monitor).

I wonder what kind of MIDI messages the Nocturn sends, as it was always used in conjunction with the infamous AutoMap software driver.

Edit: I'd love to be proven wrong but I've found a github repo with some python code to make the thing compatible with MIDI communication under Linux which basically says that the Nocturn doesn't speak MIDI by itself. For $29, that would be great though 😉

From https://github.com/dewert/nocturn-linux-midi

The protocol was reverse-engineered by felicitus (timoahummel on github). This project will eventually allow the Nocturn to be used as a normal MIDI control surface in Linux. There is basic functionality now, but much is still broken. Notably broken/unimplemented things are:
    * the GUI, for the most part - no on-the-fly config. it's really just a display
    * smoothness - the rotary encoders seem to be a bit "jumpy", and I'm really not too sure why
    * specifying inc/dec vs. value mode - all encoders just send a 0-127 value
    * specifying key presses as actions - this is super useful in the original Automap, since you can assign random keyboard shortcuts to easy-access buttons (you do need to buy the "Pro" version though!)
    * touch sensitivity - only turning encoders works, not just touching them

So it seems that the Nocturn doesn't send anything useful over USB.

• Seconded... 👍️

• edited June 2020

@rs2000 so i got the faderfox ec4 and could only try it quickly as i have my daughter but quickly mapped a control and guess what i get a jump in sw as soon as control is mapped. This must be a problem in Drambo no? Because this controller has incremental updates for sure. @giku ?

• Would be great if we can find a solution so that i do not have jumps after spending quite a lot of money on the midi controller ;)

• @stellaremodular Hi, if you have problems like this contact me directly.. Save your controllers! :)

Have you tried different control types? I would need a midi stream (may be just a screenshot) when you move a fader.

• @stellaremodular I think the EC4 encoders may default to absolute, since lots of software expects that. You probably need to configure the knobs to transmit incrementally.

• Yes that was it, I did not had time to look into it until now but when I set the encoder to the 2nd Relative mode it works :) the displays dont work then but I guess thats to be expected.

• There is one thing, sometimes Drambo recognises the control as Absolute while its Relative....happens randomly.

• edited June 2020

To make the automatic detection more reliable, the user would have to be instructed to turn the knob following a certain pattern and Drambo would have to wait longer... probably not what everybody wants.

BTW, on the EC-4, Name Mode is independent from Command Type, you can give each encoder a name. The value cannot be shown though because that would require bi-directional communication.

• Yes makes sense...Drambo is already way ahead of the rest of IOS Music world, its crazy to see such little support for Relative Midi CC even in AUM :(

• I think it's due to different reasons.

First of all, the iDevices are touch devices which is already much better than using a mouse, and second, most cheapo MIDI controllers only have pots instead of encoders so many developers just don't care.

• Its actually not that bad with the EC-4, I can setup each synth outside Drambo on a different group with Absolute Control and I do not get jumps it remembers the last position :)

• I have the finger on the buy button for this one

Looks like a good interface for drambo

• edited June 2020

@lala Have you checked the MIDI spec?

Are the bank switches and play modes supported on the hardware when used standalone?

Do the transport buttons send CC or notes?

• edited June 2020

Are the bank switches and play modes supported on the hardware when used standalone?

I guess the bank switches happen on the hardware

the rest is just buttons ?

I looked a little into it

it seems be able to send program change so ...

I already molested giku

^^

no software on iOS currently does support all these controllers out of the box

so its on the to do list

I guess the pads are great to trigger sounds and (clips)/patterns on another bank ...

and simply send notes on the other bank so I can play melodies too ...

(note repeat I dont care for)

I just midi learn it something cool I haven't thought of yet, ^^

it will be the make interesting music button ^^

• edited June 2020

looking at the editor software not all buttons appear to be remapable

so I guess tab tempo clock and note repeat are hardware funktions

• edited July 2020

I have been enjoying my Beatstep as a Drambo/AUM controller, but I was finding that the big encoder didn't cut it as a fader. Especially since the rubberization on my knobs was giving out.

After waiting ~2 months I got a new aluminum knob in from China and its such an improvement. The weight and ridges along the side allow a lot more expression. Looks solid too!

This is the eBay listing I went with. You can also get it for ~$7 and not wait for China shipping.

• Looks good @quartzite!

How do you fix it though? I can only see a flat bore, no screw, no detents...

• Just to chime in with my experience. I got the Behringer Xtouch Mini controller. It offers 2 layers of 8 encoders and 16 lighted buttons, with 8 encoder push as well, all configurable using a computer editor app. I configured the layer B encoders as relative 2, which Drambo recognizes. Made a StreamByer script implementing 8 banks of 8 encoders, selected by buttons, and 8 CC toggles for the remaining buttons. Added a little acceleration to the knobs, so fast turns are faster. Handy for making large changes.

• edited July 2020

@rs2000 It has a hole for a tiny hex wrench screw (1.5 mm, and it doesn’t come with it). I did have to put a tiny bit of aluminum foil in the main hole to raise up the knob a tiny bit.

@uncleDave that sounds rad. How do the double button presses work? I love streambyter but every time I use it I feel like I have to spend half an hour reminding myself the basics of the language.

• @quartzite not sure what you mean about "double button presses". The device buttons send Note On/Note Off. For the toggles, I trigger on Note Off and toggle (x=1-x) a local variable, then send that to the app as CC value 0 or 127. I send back a note to turn the light on/off matching the toggle state.

I agree on the oddity of the language. Reminds me of Basic.

• edited July 2020

@uncleDave that makes sense. Sorry, I misread first thing in the morning :p. I’ve been thinking about adding additional functions to my controller as well. I had been thinking of doing a “hold one button then press another” which would also work with streambyter variables.

• Like a Shift key. I've thought about that too. If your buttons send notes, it should be easy to set a flag on the specific Note On, clear it on Note Off. Then, other events can detect the flag and decide what action to take.

Just a note on my Xtouch Mini experience: the button press and release turn the light on/off locally. So I use the note off message for my action. Then I can set or clear the light as desired. Doing it on note on didn't work, because the light always ended off.

• edited April 2021

I'm back to looking at controllers. Thought folks might find this search page useful https://controllers.cc/

This page had me looking at the midi fighter twister. Looks pretty awesome for a compact controller.

(Sorry to revive a dead thread, but its a good thread :) )

• @quartzite What's the advantage of the Twister over the Arturia Beatstep 1?

• edited April 2021

I guess quality..

• Yep, maybe. I've heard from people who had issues with the encoders.

The Twister would happily use LED feedback though, do you have a rough idea when you're going to work on such controller support? The community offer to build hw controller templates for Drambo still stands.