Automate morphing?

Hi,

Wondering if there is any way to save an A - B morph so that it will export with the song?

Or is this just a live perfomance feature.. I realise you can work around and individually save automation to everything assigned to the Morph - but this would be much longer

cheers

Comments

• The morph position is already saved with the song.

You can automate morph fader movements e.g. by sending MIDI CC to Drambo's "MIDI feedback" port and map the CC to the scene X-fader.

Then just record the slider movements.

• Thanks mate, was hoping would just be a case of hitting record and then any movements are saved. Does not seem that it is possible to export these with the song in this fashion ? :)

• Oh yes it is, as long as you're recording the Slider movements (which directly controls the X-fader in my example), you can have them be a part of your song. The movements can also be edited like any other automation in Drambo.

• edited March 2023

The thing is that automation is part of the patterns and when recording live X-fader rides, they will most certainly not work as expected with repeated patterns. It would rather require something like a linear automation track going from start to end of the song, and that would be corrupted with any change in pattern arrangement.

What might be useful in your case though is a button + Graphic Envelope combination that controls the X-fader whenever you hit the button live. In combination with the new "MIDI Quantize" or Clock Generator + Multiply + S&H, you could fire off prepared X-fader rides in perfect beat sync.

• I'd add to that that for automation recording, you better use Morph module (modulators section), that allows for similar morphing, just not between various scenes, but each Morph module is separately morphing values. It's a bit different perspective, but for automating, I'd really suggest you to try it out.

Morph scenes are to me more like a live performance tool, for which it is amazing: you enter morph scene edit mode, play around with the sound as much as you can and the "reverse" it with the fader. That's really a lot of fun.

• edited March 2023

Can I please piggyback off of this for a off topic related

when using morph, how do you “know “ how to assign parameters to A and to B that will correspond and morph ( saw ben YouTube video but he’s way more advanced than I am with A-F) I just want A to B cross fade

i saw the morph module and it’s a little different than going from A to B so I know I’m getting way a heads of myself @rs2000 so please just know it’s sheer ambitious curiosity as Drambo is now my DAW of choice

• @FearAndLoathing

First, let's get the wording right: The scene crossfader and scene buttons A to P are a mechanism that's completely separate from the morph knob(s). Their only similarity is that they can change parameters.

There's also a separation in hierarchy: Scenes and Crossfader are at the highest level and can override Morphs.

Even if you have used Morph knobs in your project with modulations etc, whenever you hit a scene button and turn a knob, that knob will now be under scene control, ignoring all Morph control until you double-click the knob (while the same scene is still selected) to remove the scene lock from the knob again. Then, that knob will be controlled by Morph(s) again automatically.

It's important to understand this. That's why skrat sees Scenes more as a live performance tool: You can mess with all parameters, even if they are automated in your project/song, by overriding them using Scenes but without destroying the original or automated values.

It does make sense to keep one of the scenes A..P "empty" (no knobs mapped) so you can easily switch back to the original state of the project by choosing that one on the side where the crossfader is set to, untouched by scenes.

• Thanks so much for the much needed correction on my confusion. Keen eye for isolating the problem at the root so I can go back and study. And thanks for the mini tutorial, your a wiz dude! (Scarily so how you can just understand this so easily)

• @FearAndLoathing

Thanks man! 😊

Not sure if I'd consider myself a wiz at all, I've just been all too curious and fascinated by exploring Drambo's modular world for long enough 😉

• edited March 2023

@rs2000 modesty : the sign of a good man too

brother, thank you, I went back to the video and spent about an hour working on it and I finally am able to both do scenes now, morph, and cross fade between scenes using my controller fader

still trying to figure out how to save as I think the OP was about, but live it is great for auditioning.

i knew once I got morphing things would start to click more, and by reading everyone’s questions and watching some work (@echoopera @gravitas @supadom especially were highly influential and helpful, especially seeing what creativity was possible in dRambo , btw am I typing it correctly, capital R?), I knew that was integral to making my workflow better, not dependent on 20 patterns in step, instead rather using the P-Lock with controllers

this app is so genius it’s insane, it’s so intuitive, complex and sophisticated and simple. So much going on and it all sounds fantastic…now I have to work on my music! once I can save a cross fade or scene change I’ll be happy

• @FearAndLoathing the capital “R” is my affectation.

In my youth I used to be a budding graffiti artist by way of explanation. ;)

Yeah, we’re all agreed it is simply out there. :)