London Synth Expo 2023

Any dRambonauts based London interested in synths and guitar pedals?

London Synth Expo 2023

I shall be attending. :)

Comments

• I wish... the two things I appreciate the most :(

Attending? Not performing? You mentioned a performance some time ago... :)

• Yeah, I was trying to get a performance slot but they had already been taken. :(

Still, I have some other things lined up on the horizon in regards to performing. :)

I'll be taking photos to share. :)

• Looking forward to see the photos :)

even more to see you perform sometime... I should be back in UK soon-ish, so maybe even in person :p

• I'm starting to play out quite regularly so as and when. ;)

even if I'm not performing, seeing you would be very cool. :)

• Very cool, have fun. Looking forward to hearing your experience '

• Ah, I’m going to miss it unfortunately. I thought I could make it but was out pretty much every night and tonight there’s some not to be missed ethno gig so I’ll be in need of a bed in tomorrow morning.

Another time man.

Have fun!

• No worries dude, rest up.

I'm going to be taking pictures. :)

I will do. ;)

• Right then…

I was armed with a DSLR, ipad, Novation LC XL and my trusty guitar.

The queue was super long, it took us 45minutes to get inside.

Yup, there were that many people.

Once we got inside there where many guitar effects on display,

I tried a couple but there where so many people I simply stepped to one side.

There’s more but here’s the all important thing,

I headed into the synth section.

I was not impressed.

Basically dRambo wiped the floor with most of them and I didn’t even take out my ipad.

There was a Moog Model 15 on display but someone was hogging it.

There wasn’t much Eurorack stuff on display, just the more normal

”toys” that we all know, Korg, Arturia, Moog, etc, etc.

No Behringer interestingly enough but their sales seem to be rocketing so no surprise there.

A plasma high gain distortion rack seemed quite interesting so

I’ve got their details so I’m going to find out some about that.

Sorry to say, I only took a couple of photos with the DSLR, I was too busy asking questions.

Oh yes, a guitar pedal builder has designed an effects pedal that works using liquids.

High conducting liquids create low gain and low conducting liquids create hi gain.

The designer’s choice of liquids is vodka with a dash of coffee.

The company is called Rainger FX.

https://www.raingerfx.com/shop/p/minibar

The design also designed one of their PCB’s to look like

an inner city map which my son and I thought rather ingenious.

Though the Synth Expo wasn’t super impressive, it does bode well for the future,

I’m certainly going to be going along to the next one.

The next gear expo lined up is the SoundonSound Gearfest in July.

More ramblings on this note then.

On another note entirely, we finished the day jamming at the Islington Music Workshop studio.

My apprentice and I were on guitar, bass and drums and we had some

sound engineer students float in and freestyle on lyrics and joined us in the playing.

By the end we headed into some really polyrhythmic madness.

What a lovely day.

:)

• That’s really cool @gravitas

was dRambo on display in any booths? I don’t know if it’s similar to NAMM but was anyone using like an Arturia with drambo?

(also this is slightly related but not OT worthy, is Arturia FW going to get DRambo integration? I think they should do it, of course!)

this guitar pedal, what did it do with the liquid after it finished drinking? (In all seriousness I would like to see or hear more about this /company, although my amplifier has a built in state of the art top of the line FX pedal , it’s still cool to hear about)

• @FearAndLoathing

“That’s really cool @gravitas

was dRambo on display in any booths? I don’t know if it’s similar to NAMM but was anyone using like an Arturia with drambo?”

No dRambo wasn’t on display though I wish it had been.

Maybe it will happen in the future.

I would love for it happen.

“(also this is slightly related but not OT worthy, is Arturia FW going to get DRambo integration? I think they should do it, of course!)”

What is the Arturia FW?

In regards to hardware integration overall?

Many users are designing their own templates for their own workflows or bypassing it altogether.

If a midi controller accepts midi for LED lights and pads etc then one can use midi notes

but once a midi controller outputs midi information then one can map them to anything and

also transform them into CV modulation.

I’ve been doing this to great effect for quite awhile now for my LaunchControl XL and LaunchPad X

and more recently for the Behringer x-touch which shall be winging it’s way back home soon.

Which reminds me I’m going to get one now for myself as the challenge had been met and exceeded.

The challenge was to turn the Behringer X-touch into an 8 step drum sequencer on steroids.

So if a midi controller emits cc messages and notes then that information can be used to transform sound.

In regards to the Minibar guitar pedal have a look here for Rainger FX

https://www.raingerfx.com/

and here’s the specific link for the minibar pedal…

https://www.raingerfx.com/shop/p/minibar

• edited March 2023

^ amazing track and display of hardware

(Arturia firmware meaning it’s just sync with drambo the same way I think korg has one and also akai might with its own “gagdet”)

• “(Arturia firmware meaning it’s just sync with drambo the same way I think korg has one and also akai might with its own “gagdet”)”

In that case, Firmware means the controller chip information for the given midi controller which

isn’t anything to do with dRambo or a DAW except in providing stability and updates for said stability.

Which for the most part works but I’m sure everyone has a brick somewhere.

All midi controllers have firmware as far as I know.

What you maybe thinking about is that these controllers transmit

CC messages, aftertouch, channel pressure, there’s loads of em and midi notes.

• @FearAndLoathing

Integration would rather be Drambo’s job, at least in regards to controlling LEDs and supporting button modes and controller banks.

I imagine a new breed of guitar pedals turning into alcoholics instead of battery eaters 😅

• Cool @gravitas thanks for the report.

I feel like I haven’t missed much except for the jam that I would have definitely enjoyed.

Here’s to Drambo booth at one of the coming expos. I might even venture to Europe if the vibes are right, with my sonic suitcase and whatnot. ;)

• @supadom

No probs...

"I feel like I haven’t missed much except for the jam that I would have definitely enjoyed."

The main issue was the organisers underestimated the amount

of interest and will need to pick a much bigger venue also

pacing the amount of people going in and coming out.

There we're queers inside as well as out....smh....

"Here’s to Drambo booth at one of the coming expos."

Yeah, agreed.

Even if we only perform at one of these events dRambo is going to be there for sure. ;)

"I might even venture to Europe if the vibes are right, with my sonic suitcase and whatnot. ;)

Well,...that sounds like a plan. ;)

• If anyone ends up coming to NYC for NAMM LMK!

BTW, you guys might like KeyStage for midi controller mixing

I just tried it and its so powerful, the three people I thought of to mention it to was dom,gravitas,and echo lol