Use transpose!

edited July 2020 in Tips and Tricks

So you created a pattern u like, great.

lets do some variations on that

copy pattern, transpose, experiment, have fun.

couldnt be quicker

Comments

• edited July 2020

Oops,

added missing sample

• edited July 2020

U get the spin of it. :)

BTW if you use the big sample module and transpose you can select different samples on the fly With transpose... ;)

• edited July 2020

So let’s show it off

select different sample with transpose anytime at will with running sequencer (on track that’s says sample switch)

(my favorite tool for I can’t think of anything today, makes hardware cry :) )

• This looks really interesting!

Currently I'm using a series of Flexi samplers on multi-outs to load up loops and send them to individual channels within AUM (using a Launchcontrol XL as a hardware controller).

At the moment I'm confined to using a single loop per channel. Do you think this could help me switch between different loops on the same channel?

I should probably include what I'm doing but I've literally only used Drambo a few hours and I haven't even got to the point where I understand how to do that! (Pointers gratefully received!)

• edited July 2020

the sample switch with transpose thing only works with The big sampler module

its actually pretty simple

the trick is to have different samples or loops assigned to different keys

what makes it cool Is that it’s instant sample switch on any (or all) trigger notes u select while sequencer is playing ...

take a look at posted demo projectS press edit select some notes press transpose and see/hear what happens

take your time to figure things out

(it’s not really obvious u can do sample switch with transpose, hence this thread here.)

• Ah, maybe I could use the big sampler instead then. I didn't realise different loops could be assigned to different keys. That sounds like it could potentially be a lot simpler than doing it the way I'm currently attempting!

• I'd like to have a direct sample select on the multisampler (or a knob module that outputs values 0-127). I made a multisample preset with 128 kick drums that I midi mapped to a hardware knob on my controller. I turn the knob to choose a new sample and use the track midi to trigger the sampler.

There probably is a way of creating the values 0-127 using CVs but I haven't figured out the best way yet. If I use 2 transpose modules in series I can select from a greater range but it is still a little awkward.

I also tried sending the values from a Mozaic script as Mozaic has knobs that give out the required range of values but I ended up with double notes as Mozaic is outputing note ons and offs.

What really surprised is that Drambo's software keyboard doesn't go higher than C7

• edited July 2020

@J_T Use Misc => Knob and the Graphic Shaper to adjust to your desired key range.

• edited July 2020

About Keyboard it’s -2c up to c7

8 octaves = 96 keys

that isn’t enough?

i know no keyboard with more than 88 keys ... (expect those weird hexa Lay-outs)

@J_T

• edited July 2020

See my intention is to create essentially what Launchpad does - loops mapped to buttons on a Launchpad where pressing one in a single row replaces another if another in that row is playing.

Maybe I'm overthinking it and I could just use mute groups and an instance of Drambo for each channel.

Having given it some thought, the big sampler option would need to be able to load the new loops on the fly halfway through otherwise it would be out of time every time you switched up samples.

• edited July 2020

Hm, that may or may not work currently

because currently there is a limit in samples size to be loaded

(stream samples from “disk” is on the todo list = no sample size limit)

if you don’t overdo it it works

• @lala

I want to have a drum sample stored on each key within the full midi range 0-127.

That way I can dial through 128 samples stored in a single preset.

The technique is used a lot with performers using Ableton. I think the musician ill. Gates was the first to do it. They call is the "128s Method"

@rs2000 Thank you. I will check it out :)

• edited July 2020

@J_T Here's a version that will stick to semitones when choosing samples.

Without quantizing, you'll end up with out of tune pitches which may be undesirable.

150 is 12.5 (one octave) * 12 semitones, scaled to integers like Quantize needs it

0.01041666 is 0.125 divided into 12 semitones.

Sampler's pitch input is routed to the output of ".01041666".

By turning the knob, you'll select samples chromatically.

I actually like you idea, got a new use for my Beatstep 😃👍🏼

• J_TJ_T
    edited July 2020

@rs2000

Thanks. I will try and get my head around it later :)

The 128 thing is not my idea but I am glad to share it.

When I did it before in ableton I ended putting fewer samples across the range as one on each key can be to fiddly to select from even with a good hardware knob.

The sun is shining here in the UK today (for a change) so I am switching off the computer and going out to make the most of it.

We should call this place the Drambonauts Forum

• edited July 2020

Yeah, yeah the drumselctor thingy , I know

Not sure if 96 vs 128 samples makes that big of a difference

but more power to you if you need that :)

the big difference between the drambo transpose trick and the abelton thingy

is the abelton thingy is global you switch the sample and that was that

with the transpose trick it’s per step/note or global or whatever u select 😎

u see where this is going 😏

i guess u can do similar things with the drum selector from above and p locks,

but it will be messy 😉 and doesn’t really work on all tracks at once ...

Transpose is much more elegant, give it a try :)

• @lala

I like the transpose technique you are using. I was just pointing out the similarities with what I was trying to do. I'd love to see a sample select knob on the flexisampler

• @rs2000

After some serious head scratching I figured out what you showed me. Works great, thanks.

Using the oscilloscope helped me figure it out. It is a shame there are no value readouts on the scope. I value readout module would be most useful.

• @J_T Thanks!

I agree, @giku has a value readout mode on his list that will show actual values live on each signal port, dunno when that will be implemented.

You can indirectly monitor values via MIDI CC, better than nothing for now:

• @PeteSasqwax https://patchstorage.com/flexi-clips/

got this going a few days ago for playing loops in time. You can have one on each track so multiple banks of loops.

• J_TJ_T
    edited August 2020

@rs2000 The note range on the flexisampler is 127, C-2 to G8. Your method only works for 96 values.

I've got some more head scratching to do :)

• J_TJ_T
    edited August 2020

The transposable note range on the sequencer also spans C-2 to G8

@lala

• @J_T Must be a scaling issue. I get 128 different values in the above example.

• @rs2000 I just noticed you are using the graphic shaper differently than I thought. I guessed you where using it to just make the knob output go from -1..1 to 0..1

If I just feed the knob output directly to the sampler I can hit C-2 with the value of -0.5 and G8 with the value of 0.83

I'm getting confused as I thought Drambo only used 0..1 (96 values) for pitch.

• @rs2000 Could you explain what the Graphic Shaper is set to in your example? What are the outputs corresponding to knob input -1 and +1?

• I've managed to get the full range I was after by just going from the knob to the shaper and manually tweaking the shaper. No precise values but it works great!

• @rs2000 The Midi CC Generator & Monitor only seems to work for positive values. It still should come in handy. Thanks for you help.

• edited August 2020

Math Offset and Scale modules (or our good friend Mr Graphic Shaper again) to the rescue.

@giku Please combine offset and scale into one module, or at least add an offset field to the scale module. Thank you.

• When the CC Generator is set to "Bipolar Inp", it maps the range -1 to 1 into CC values 0 to 127, and the Monitor displays those values. There are no negative MIDI CC values.