Pitch shifter linked to notes glitches when crossing to lower octave (audio input)

my setup: midi to cv, audio input, pitch shifter. The pitch shifter’s ‘shift’ is linked to ‘note’. Every time I play the sequence d2, c2, b1on the internal keyboard there’s a loud click. Other sequences in the same direction produce similar results, c2 has to be included as the middle note, it seems. The other way around works fine.

On my ipad air 2, latest os, it sometimes causes the audio to stop. Minimize/maximize solves the audio dropping out.

I hope this description makes sense.

Thanks!

Comments

• Just observing: c2 corresponds to value 0.5 in the 0..1 8-octave scheme. Maybe it's a "magic" number in the processing.

• edited July 2020

Hm, what happens is it generates a loud click every now and then when played via keyboard

this is able to kick out the iOS audio engine , resulting in no sound

will be fixed soon

• @uncleDave No rocket science here, @giku's choice was to use "1/8 out of 1" intervals (0.125) to represent an octave. Good to know when you're using math modules to control pitch.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited July 2020

@Gravitas Easy:

I'm limiting to exactly one octave here.

The LOW value is in fact .125, it only shows 2 digits.

Note how the oscillator is modulated with full depth and only limited by the clipper.

• The problem with min and max is that they don't limit the signal but rather always give you the lower (or the higher, respectively) signal of the two input signals. Not what you want 😉

• Exactly, as I mentioned. But I've noticed that this note (c2) is unaffected by keyboard tracking in the filter. That is, the filter cutoff for c2 doesn't vary for any value of keyboard tracking. Since the OP mentioned that including c2 in the sequence was required to cause the glitch, I suspected that the note value 0.5 was possibly being handled differently in this case also.

• edited July 2020

@uncleDave Hmmm... Isn't the pitch signal a bipolar value that actually covers 16 octaves and C2 is at zero? That would at least explain it.

@giku Am I correct? Should the pitch explanation in the manual be changed?

Edit: I would say yes to both but nonetheless the pitch shifter should not glitch when going from positive to negative shift value using MIDI2CV pitch to shifter pitch modulation input.

• I did send giku a demo of this

it always seems to freak out on the note B (h if you’re German)(pitch one semitone down) via keyboard

• edited July 2020
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • yes, in my case it only happens when c2 Is included. The note after c2 has an influence on the pitch of the click.

• Looks like a fun effect @Gravitas 😊

• Interesting. A little testing shows that is indeed the case. Compared sine osc with pitch input from KB with sine osc with pitch from bipolar Knob. C2 corresponds to value zero, octaves are 0.125 steps around this. This is for current Drambo 1.22. However, other frequency settings, like filter cutoff, still behave as originally described, with 0.5 corresponding to c2.