Racks with multiple output ports

edited August 2020 in Feature Wish-lists

Like in the mixer, it would be great to have a rack in which I could add multiple outputs to which I can freely route any signal from inside the rack.

A similar thing has been requested already in regards of gate signals, but why not do that in a generally useful manner.

I've stumbled over this limitation several times now, it's also a reason why I often avoid racks...

I'm working on a new guitar effect currently in which I plan to use different racks that can be combined but again, that's impossible because I cannot access control signals or audio signals from inside a rack. In fact, I would have to duplicate the same section from inside the rack to generate the same control or audio signal again, which is obviously not very elegant.

Edit: The same basically applies to rack input ports whenever I need a rack with e.g. audio inputs and control inputs.

Comments

• i think this has come up before and giku has said he’s into it. Configurable inputs AND outputs for racks would be huge and would allow for essentially the creating of macro-modules.

• Yes, there will be this kind of rack.

• I was bumping into this this morning. I am building delay arrays and want to grab output from some of the individual delays to use outside the processor that contains them. I’d also love for there to be multiple inputs.

• Hear, hear!

• Has this been added to Drambo since I last checked a few months ago?

• Yes, we now have a Mixer => Layers module at least with multiple outputs.

You can use this inside processor and instrument racks, note that individual channel post processing of the Layer outputs has to be done inside the rack because at the output, you only have one channel.

• Is there an example somewhere? I took a quick look and couldn't figure out how to use it for my purpose which is to be able to grab something other than just the final output of a processor rack. Or similar.

My application is something like this. Build a simple 'delay processor' unit that has inside a Delay node, Attenuator (which acts as a feedback control), Feedback Send, Some other stuff. I build large delay arrays by using a number of these in series. What I'd like to be able to do is make the signal straight from the Delay node (pre-attenuator) available to the next copy of this as well as the final output.

Is that possible now somehow?

• edited November 2020

Sure, you don't even need racks for that.

Use mixers wherever you need signals from more that one of the previous delays going into the next delay module. The only limitation is that signal flow is from left to right. Feedback is possible but outside the dedicated effect modules, feedback costs you 10ms processing time. Still useful for many delay applications. (Use and connect the Feedback Send and Feedback Receive modules)

A module input can always be connected to any module's output either before that module on the same track or even to a module on a previous track.

• maybe I wasn’t clear. To modularize the delay modules, each unit is a rack. I want to be able to grab from that rack not just the rack’s output but also from an intermediate stage. Mixer’s only let you grab a rack’s final output. In my case, there is a delay inside the rack and I want the rack after it to be able to grab the previous rack’s output as well as the output from the previous rack’s delay node which is in the middle of the previous rack’s nodes.

• Here is an example...normally there would be more stuff after the delay node in the rack but this illustrates the desired flow:

• My point was not to use racks in your case.

• i have built them without racks and the user experience and configurability is not as good as when using racks... which are great from the point of view of modularity.

i was under the impression that a way of passing more than one signal out of a rack was coming.

• edited November 2020

@easelec Sure, you can wait until that happens if you prefer.

Or use multiple Misc => Section modules to fold and unfold delay blocks without a rack?