Steeper filter cutoffs

Would like a 24db cutoff on HP/LP. Or is there another way of getting such steepness?

Comments

• Oh yeah, don’t know why I mentioned LP, I remember see that in there. But I usually use the 24db or even a 48db a lot to cut bass out using the NanoStudio 2 filters.

• You can always use multiple filters in series, 24dB in series with a second 24dB filter of same type and settings will indeed give you 48dB rolloff.

By using slight offsets in cutoff frequency and maybe also resonance plus using filters in series or in parallel, you can achieve a much wider variety of filter responses.

I once created a patch that sounded like the mono synth brass at the beginning of the Rush song "Tom Sawyer" which required two LP filters in parallel config with some cutoff separation to get that "dual resonance" sound.

• 24 + 24 = 48

12 + 12 = 24

;)

• I will try this wonderment! Thank you, folks.

• edited April 2020

I’m assuming you would need to adjust the cutoff freq for the second filter in the chain?

Let’s say I wanted a 24db high-pass at 200hz, I would set the first 12db HP at 200hz, and then then second 12db HP at slightly lower (160hz)???

I could be wrong, but the results I get with 2x filters at 200hz doesn’t sound right.

• edited April 2020

Hihi, I really need a frequency analysis to make sure I don’t talk nonsense @giku

i just tried with math plus and subtract

forget that

just add one filter after the other

With math you are adding and subtracting the cutoff values from the other

that’s really irritating (it took me a while to figure out what is going on by ear)

sorry for the mess 😅

• Don’t laugh... i just realised there are more filter types if you scroll down the list, including a 24db slope.

D’Oh

• edited April 2020

No need to open the menu

you can just swipe up or down on these things... :)