New to Drambo and iOS production - couple questions on starting

Comments

• Ok got the 4 flexi in a row+mixer 1

flexi-flexi-flexi-flexi-mixer 1

each flexi corresponds to another Channel dial in mixer 1 and each had a different color that corresponds to different output

(Each dial is set to different positions)

How do I trigger the mixes though?

im missing something though, and I’m not sure what, sorry man

if I don’t get it next don’t worry about it man. But really thanks to you and gravitas for bearing with me

you both have been really amazingly generous with your time and I appreciate it

• edited March 2023

@FearAndLoathing

There are many ways to trigger loops. In your case, I think the best option would be to set all Flexis like this so all your loops will just start playing as soon as you hit the PLAY button:

Under Sync, pick 4 beats if you have recorded your loop for one bar, 8 beats if your loop is two bars long etc.

• edited March 2023

Ohhhhh ok I understand you better now that I see which parameters you meant for me to set

FINAL thing; I can see that works for one track/pattern so I’ll have to figure out how to set it so multiple flexi samples can be triggered by different clips at different times

meaning track 1 plays sample 1 in the first clips and then in the second pattern clip, track 1 will trigger sample 2 instead

but hey, at least I got to this part. I was able to sync a live audio portion in the sample, and then exported the mixdown successfully !

thanks @rs2000

again, at some point I want to be able to trigger it besides in a constant loop like when you press C2 in the first beat of the pattern so it’s different for each pattern in the clip launcher so I’m hoping to figure out the more advanced multi sample, unless I should just be happy with L7 and flexi lol right? Anything more I should just export to Cubasis and stop making this too crazy :)

@gravitas agian many many thanks for l7 advice, it works as well so with Ableton it syncs perfectly and I couldn’t export the audio so I sent it to the sampler and set it as rs put and it loops in sync perfectly.

(@supadom thank you as well for the tip. Loopy pro really does look amazing and a lot simpler than L7. You can probably handle audio more accurately or easily too but hey L7 was $3 and I’m just figuring this out on the fly, very successfully thanks to this guy ^.

And ofc thanks to @echoopera for his initial starting me off and helping me out a lot and most of all to @giku for this awesome forum where I’ve met the best dRambo users and musicians and found a lot of inspiration. This was a great first thread for me. Thanks for your patience and time guys. )

• meanwhile this looks interesting

I wonder if dRambo can host and export it

• I was afraid you'd ask that next @FearAndLoathing 😉

• edited March 2023

Here's an example of how to trigger multiple Flexis on the same track without losing the recording functionality:

Note that I have disconnected the pitch input in each Flexi so the playback pitch will be independent from the key (note) on which it is triggered but on the other hand, still follow project bpm changes properly.

• That’s perfect @rs2000 ,honestly that’s all I need now! I’m off to experiment - thank you man!

(not to disparage any dev, but I’d prefer not to go with that one….I am glad you were able to help me out, man , as I spent enough on AuV3)

• I’m doing something wrong my friend @rs2000 i was unsuccessful - it doesn’t trigger separately .

It’s alright. I’ll keep tinkering with the modules you suggested and maybe one day when I’m better at this I’ll be able to do more than one sample

however, gravitas, I do have the clips in sync with the rest of the pattern, tracks etc ;)

• Note that each Flexsi is triggered from its own note filter and MIDI2CV. Set the filters to different notes and you can trigger either.

• edited March 2023

thanks @uncleDave and @rs2000

i got it finally !!!

I have to pay more attention to the modules relation to each other

I thought I linked them properly but it was linked to another track! No wonder it wasn’t triggering, it was set to another sampler on track 2 instead

ok I got it now boys, i think ;)

edit - lost it again on sample 2, the second note filter isn’t working

idk why…but I’m going to keep messing with modules until I give up and just ask again lol

(but at least it works on C2)

• Yes. You need to watch out for the automatic connections Drambo inserts. Especially if you re-order modules, it can trip you up. The defaults are fine for simple stuff, but when you're being creative, not so much. Just need to recheck them. Remember, when you tap on an input, it highlights the current source; you don't have to rely on just the color coding.

• Well I got all the help I needed so I wanted to put a cap on this and say thanks and also offer one alternative to loopy pro by Audio Modern called Loopmix in case anyone else thought $30 is too steep, it’s more than DRambo and IAP so I rather save the $15 and get something from audiomodern, as they are truly an amazing dev team and make some of the best music apps for desktop and iOS

But with the module @echo opera assisted me with and his amazing tutorials to show me what I needed I feel confident enough to stay in production mode, focused and when I return I’ll have some music to show for it. I’ve already told you guys many thanks, but again big thanks to all especially echo and gravitas

so I won’t be gone for long, but I also won’t be pestering the forum with how-tos? :)

Thanks again!

• I like Loopmix too!

Could be done in Drambo as well but the UI and included loop library are quite nice indeed.

• After trying a few “DAW” I keep coming back to Drambo. I have a few. Cubasis is fantastic, but it doesn’t offer much difference from Logic, which is basically a super full capacity Garageband. Auria Pro is the worst app I think in the App Store. Not only is it abandonware but it is the worst interface. I have no idea how it became the gold standard at one point (maybe because Cubasis didn’t exist and Garageband is basic in terms of controllability), but the company was sold by the owner and developer to someone who is just banking in on suckers who download the app, like myself. I only found out much later the hard way. I thought BM3 is actually better than almost all of them (besides the updated Cubasis 3.5), but despite having all of these options I keep coming back to Drambo. [FWIW i think bm3 is a nice compromise in between, but it’s not enough to drop Drambo].

I love the dRambo interface. I love the ease of use. I love the menus. I love the easy functionality. I love the drag and drops and the clip launcher. I love the effects. I love the amazing control over MIDI and AUv3 midi. I love the workflow. And with my 8-16 track sampler instrument, I really have everything i need within Drambo. Would simple audio editing be on my wish list, sure…but I mean you really don’t need Drambo for that as we’ve discussed: get to the end of track for the audio and just export it to a full DAW (in this case, I would have to say Cubasis 3.5)

I joined audiobus just for fun, but all I keep wondering are questions for Drambo, and I dont want to sound like a Drambo advertiser troll, so I really just keep it reserved for here now. I mean audiobus is amazing in terms of the developers on there, response time to help, and what not, but I see the same names here for audiobus (like the most knowledgeable here are same guys there, rs2000, uncledave, gravitas, echo, i think are the same guys?…is audiobus linked to Drambo because i think some people are tired of hearing about Drambo, but they honestly need to get on board

This is the premier app for iOS music production as of 2023. The closest thing to it [bm3] doesn’t even come close to the awesomeness Drambo is. It really is so unique. Giku must be a genius or just really dedicated to his art and his science because he is both as far as im concerned. You have to be both creative and talented to think of, implement and execute something so ambitious and amazing. I really am so thankful I found it when I did, even if I am two years late.

Big ups to everyone on this forum too, mods etc….thank you

• Is there a way to trigger loopy pro to play different loops per clip?

like can you set “orange” group to go off on c1 in a clip

then can you set “red” group to another midi note, like d1, in a different clip?

Basically how do you trigger different loops in the AUv3 of Loopy Pro? If possible?

Thanks

• edited April 2023

Yes.

Basically, you just set up a Loopy Pro Project Profile under Control Settings, add a new binding, select Color Group Actions, Play/Stop, tell it what color to affect, save that binding, then assign a MIDI Trigger to it. You'll probably need to change other color group settings to get everything to work the way you want it to.

Unfortunately, that section of the Loopy Pro manual isn't complete. But it should be fairly straightforward once you get into it.

You'll probably want to use a "Project Profile" rather than a "Global Profile" unless you'll always be using Loopy in just this way. Once you have the project set up the way you need it, you can always tag the project as a template from which you can create new projects with all the same settings.

• I have a couple projects where I’ve got Loopy Pro AUv3s hosted in Drambo, and just used LP’s MIDI learn to set up “launch notes” to fire loops and/or one shots. It’s not too complicated, but it did take me a little fiddling around to figure out how to set up.

Then I have other projects where I’m doing the opposite (hosting Drambo AUv3s in Loopy Pro).

• edited April 2023

I got the first method to fire, but that sounds just as easy if not simpler. I’ll give it a shot. Thanks

and Voila it is! Very simple actually, so simple I can’t believe I missed it!

The manual could use some freshening up, but it was very intuitive

Thanks @Intrepolicious

[Drambo + Loopy Pro = DAW !!] @supadom thanks for showing it to me/us in the videos and sharing your insights …you’re totally right, loopy pro is an amazing app

• edited April 2023

I'm glad you got it working! Yes, Loopy + Drambo is such a perfect combination!

I use it the other way around with Drambo running inside Loopy. Drambo handles the sequencing, sampling, and some of the synthesis, with other AUs providing the rest. The advantage for me, running a really old iPad is I can quickly commit parts to audio then sideline the sources to save CPU as I go, but still be able to come back to tweak/redo parts easily. The rest of my workflow is recording guitar and bass parts over the rest, which Loopy excels at.

The workflow is so perfect I almost never use any other configuration now.

• Anyone else fascinated by Hilda? Anyone get or try? It’s #1 in hours so i wondered what people thought here as I have no idea what it is lol just a multi format synth unique and unlike others apparently, so i thought i would ask anyone like it?

• Hilda basically combines known, tried and tested synthesis elements into one easy to use package with a fixed layout UI. I wouldn't say it's unlike others, it just combines a few typical synthesis elements in its own way. People with little experience in building synth patches in Drambo themselves will appreciate that, and most likely also the presets that come with it.

This applies to many other virtual synths as well but each of them usually has its own character and design.

I guess the question isn't if the same can be done in Drambo but rather if you prefer the pre-made UI and the availability of dedicated presets.

• Hilda hosted as aufx is very cool in drambo. You can route external audio through the engine, and easily modulate or automate it’s parameters with drambo’s modules

• Hilda in dRambo period is great. I haven’t Experienced MIDI learning and mapping and controls as easy as DRambo. It’s almost like it does it like nothing else in iOS. i actually don’t know how I would use Hilda WITHOUT dRambo, and I absolutely love dRambo. It’s still my #1 main go to start app for all musical ideas, and usually where I stay to finish the song, I’ve only ported tracks out to Cubasis for live audio mixing and final production, but most dRambo songs I can just export (and if I could figure out how to fade out a dRambo song without using Cubasis that would make it almost self enclosed daw to me, the way people talk about korg gadget)

• For a fade out?

Use automation on the Master Track fader.

You can record it into a clip or even draw it in.

• Or you know, just lower the master fader, like in the ol’ times

• Oh ok duhhhh yeah! Thank you @gravitas

And yes Pedro ;)

• After about 5 months trying Zenbeats/DAW, guess what? drambo rules and is my favorite workflow; almost all creativity dropped when I left dRambo, and so I am going to be asking more questions again

plus almost all my fave synths and Fx are Beepstreet so I am back where I started and where I belonged

im sure most of you saw my scrambling for Zenbeats over at audio bf

my main question is, do you guys use Cubasis or Loopy Pro to record audio ?

so far I found the loopy pro Audio unit works pretty well when you set the midi trigger but I wanted to know aside from that, how do people capture audio from or record to their dRambo tracks (either with Loopy pro or Cubasis ?)

• edited October 2023

I do it the other way around. Drambo is inside every Loopy Pro project that I start. Sometimes its doing just midi sequencing for other AUs hosted in Loopy, and sometimes it's generating sound. It's just the perfect environment for me. ❤️ I rarely use anything else these days.

Drambo is first loaded as an audio input, then that same instance is set up as a midi source. Oh - and I turn off "Idle" for Drambo so that its sequencer is always in sync.

But I can see how, if Drambo is the center of the workflow, it could work better with Loopy instances in Drambo.