Layer + Euclidean problem

If I put Euclidean inside a Layer then a Monitor after the Layer does not receive any midi. This can be fixed by adding a Midi Output inside the Layer, with -- set to Midi feedback, but then Drambo becomes unresponsive (and sometimes crashes) after a few seconds of playing. We can see the monitor being filled with notes, but it quickly becomes sluggish.

Is there no way to have Euclidean inside a Layer? I see an old post/patch where it is supposed to work with a Midi Output where -- is set to "Midi out", but that is not an option anymore; I only see Drambo, Midi feedback, and Network session as options. Using "Drambo" does not work.

Comments

• edited April 2023

deleted. inaccurate post.

• @bleep

Layers racks have no MIDI output. Maybe a new MIDI Layers module is what you're asking for?

Indeed there's an architectural inconsistency in that you can route MIDI into Layers but not out of them.

For now, I would rather use multiple MIDI racks or just foldable sections or this workaround:

As Euclidean basically generates variations of a gate signal, use one Euclidean followed by a MIDI2CV in each layer and connect each Layer output to the MIDI2CV Gate output from the same layer. By adding MIDI Note Generators outside the Layers rack and merging (mixing) them, you can get your MIDI notes back.

• Was going to say that m2cv inside layers and note-gen outside would be a good solution, but looks like you can only have one cv signal out for each layer? I wanted to put 3-4 euclideans in each layer, for modification interplays without scrolling too much. Seems like I can't get more than one signal out of each layer (maybe one can with some polyphony tricks?).

Anyway, perhaps the best approach for my purpose is to just have a bunch of euclideans within a foldable section. Keep it simple.

• edited April 2023

Why not just set up knobs to control the euclidean instances instead? You can have a bank of labeled knobs at the left of a midi rack full of euclidean sequencers. Link the knobs to the knobs on the sequencers, then set the euclidean modules to "hide in compact view" if you like.

• Oh yes you can, if you're using the Misc => Layers module which has one output for each layer you've added.

I've tried it with 3 layers and built a simple polyphonic sequence generator, it works.

• @number37 I thought about that, but there are some drawbacks. By using generic knobs instead, you lose view of the value, so e.g. it becomes guesswork whether you have dialed in 3 or 4 pulses (fills). You also miss out on the nice steps view at the top. And the ability to modify any of the many knobs (unless you map all of them). I think having the native ui is better in the long run.

@rs2000 either I misunderstand, or you misread my reply. I mentioned having 3-4 euclideans inside each layer, not one euclid per layer, so that you could explore the interplay of let's say the number of pulses of two sequences, without having to scroll or tap to get to the other euclid knobs. The original idea was to put maybe 4 euclids in 2 layers, since 8 euclids in a single rack is too much horizontal scrolling. But the midi2cv approach seem to only allow one such signal out of the layer (?), when wanting/needing to generate the midi note outside the layer.

• @bleep indeed I should have read slowly 😅

Anyway, as long as I don't know what exactly you're trying to achieve, I can't really help.

• edited April 2023