Layer + Switch question

I have a layer of 8 envelopes.

Each envelope can be one of 5 types, defined in a Config Layers. The selected type is set by the last switch seen in this photo (for Env1, same goes for Env2-8).

Ideally I would like to avoid having to tap on the last switch, it should just reflect whatever you have last selected in the Config Layers. Can it be done?

I think I’ve seen a 1-N into N-1 trick before, but I don’t remember the details. Maybe that was for something else.

Comments

• You can always have one N-to-1 switch control all successive switches by modulating their index.

The buttons module can also act as a nice source for multiple constants (which you'll need when modulating indices).

• But is there a way to have a sort of Layers Switch?

The user needs to tap on the layer to select the envelope type (AD) and edit some values (attack). Unfortunately, the user also needs to remember to change the envelope type in the later Switch module (see image). Was hoping that step could be avoided, and that UI part to be hidden.

• What I've suggested would be done inside each layer. Any reason why this wouldn't work?

• So, you want to select a layer, adjust the parameters, and automatically have that layer output selected by the switch outside the layers, simply because you selected the layer. Not sure about that.

Is there a specific reason you're using layers to implement this? Seems like that just makes it more complicated.

• Exactly. If there was a Layer Switch in additions to Layers Mixer and Layers Adder then this would be easy (perhaps a future feature?). I thought I had seen some trick regarding these selection boxes staying in sync, hence my question. I suppose that trick only involved Switch N and not Layers, though.

Specific reason? I want 8 envelopes available, and it would be nice if each could be selected from one of the five types I have. That makes it 40 pre-configured envelopes in total … I’m banking on Drambo being efficiently implemented, with these envelopes only being triggered once in a while, and not with audio rate output (but who knows, related to the other thread on number of lfo and oscilloscopes). Anyway, with this amount then Layers is the only sensible way to implement, no? As seen in the photo, the 40 configs are quite neat when having (5 type) layers inside (8 env) layers.

It is ok having to do the 2nd selection step … Alternatively, I could remove the flexibility of choosing the env type, and rather have them hardwired as e.g. 2 AD, 1 ADSR, 1 AD-L, 2 Flex, 2 Slow. Maybe that is better … and the number of running envelopes goes down from 40 to 8.

• Just tried, it works.

• I didn’t quite understand your suggested approach. Do you have a screen shot?

• Thanks. I see, this might be the "trick" I couldn't quite recall. I guess it makes sense if you have multiple switches down the line that you want to keep in sync, but in your example one could rather use just the second switch, no need for the first? But here it is used for demonstration purpose.

My 5 envelope types have a total count of 32 modules, so foldable sections would be needed. It might be better to rather have fixed envelope layers without this type choice flexibility. If I save the types as small racks, then it would be quick to replace whatever envelopes you would like.

• Sure, isn't that what you wanted? Switch first then ENVs second? You could still use foldable sections behind the first switch for finer adjustments or a few morph knobs which affect all envelopes so you only have one attack, one decay, one sustain/hold time and one release knob for all ENVs in the same layer.