I can’t delay this question anymore

I understand the concept, and have been trying several options. But I still can’t get that delay hitting like I want.

I don’t mean delay as in spatiousness or subtle. I mean crank up the feedback and create off beat divisions or triplets. Delay as a second voice.

Any suggestions for techniques or delay racks someone has already built?

Comments

• Sorry for the dad joke, I’m allowed, cause well I’m a dad

• The Delay FX might work a bit better?

• It would be good if you gave a hint of the topic in the title instead of a click bait.

No need for attention grabbing titles, you’ll probably get the replies quicker that way.

• You’re right. I apologize…

• What about the delay fx or delay rack isn’t working for you?

• Have you tried this? It has low pass filter on the delay to give it more tape like quality. You could also add saturation before or after LPF for some nasty dubby degradation. I’ve been using it a lot lately

• Yeah dub delay is the one I like the most.

I regret having created this thread. Title was inappropriate and to be honest I just needed to delve into, I was being lazy for asking before doing my homework.

Thanks, and also @bcrichards and @lala for trying to help nevertheless.

• edited June 2023

What I'm trying now in this department (might as well ask here to put this thread to some use), is to build a tape-delay of sorts.

I found this video through modwiggler about ring-modulated feedback, and I want to try this shit:

I couldn't find any patches specifically trying to emulate the functionality (@bcrichards @supadom and @lala have a few promising ones I might take ideas from).

I'm not after the tape sound, merely continually recording the input, and playing back--with a delay). I'm not sure a conventional delay would work here, because the point is to feedback the modified playback "head", back into the recording "head"

Any ideas? I know it must be using the buffer modules (perhaps the rescan), but I haven't delved into those yet. I must watch some videos, and continue my experiments which were unfruitful so far, but if anyone wants to point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it

• edited June 2023

https://patchstorage.com/tape-machine-2/

https://patchstorage.com/tape-delay-reverb/

Maybe start here...

Edit: guess this would work, after feeding the output back into the delay

• edited June 2023

@pedro If you're ready to invest some time: Flexi Sampler knobs and buttons can be controlled via MIDI mapping.

You could even remove an existing sample and record a new one via MIDI control.

Flexi can be set to start and stop recording at exact bar boundaries (Rec Sync=Clip) so arming and stopping it via MIDI messages is easy.

You would need to generate the MIDI messages inside Drambo and use the "MIDI feedback" port to route MIDI messages (for remote controlling Flexi) back to Drambo.

• Those are good ideas. Specially the ability to record new samples on the fly. I’ll surely invest some time on that, eventually :)

The challenge, but also the reward, with Drambo is that there are so many things to explore

• edited June 2023

I only got to this point so far but it sounds very promising:

Messing with the feedback, but also the freq of the oscilators, even the adsr, creates some chaotic behavior.

The video continues by adding reverb and THF? (can't understand what he says, FIR octave filter?) to the feedback loop.

And then expands to 2 ringmods and 2 delays (same sine feeding both ring mods). Seems like lots of fun concepts to explore here.