What project should I build in Drambo? (ChatGPT)

Drambo is a powerful modular synthesizer and groovebox app that offers a wide range of creative possibilities. Here are a few project ideas to consider when using iOS Drambo:

1. Custom Synth Voice: Build a unique and versatile synth voice using a combination of oscillators, filters, envelopes, and modulation sources within Drambo. Experiment with different oscillator types, filter settings, and modulation routings to create your own signature sound.
  2. Drum Machine: Create a drum machine using drum modules available in Drambo. Design and sequence drum patterns using the built-in sequencer, and explore various drum synthesis techniques to craft a diverse range of percussive sounds.
  3. Sample-Based Instrument: Utilize the sampler modules in Drambo to create a sample-based instrument. Load your own samples or use the pre-installed sample libraries to design expressive instruments. Experiment with sample manipulation techniques like granular synthesis, time-stretching, and modulation to create unique textures.
  4. Effects Processor: Design an effects processor using the various modules available in Drambo. Combine filters, delays, reverbs, and other modulation sources to create complex and evolving effects chains. Experiment with routing and modulation to create unique and expressive sound processing algorithms.
  5. Live Performance Setup: Create a live performance setup using Drambo. Build a combination of synth voices, drum machines, and effects processors that you can control in real-time. Utilize Drambo's performance features like XY pads, touch sequencing, and MIDI mapping to create an engaging and dynamic performance setup.
  6. Experimental Patch: Challenge yourself to create an experimental patch that explores unconventional sound generation and processing techniques. Combine modules in unique ways, utilize feedback loops, randomization, and unusual modulation sources to push the boundaries of sound design.

Remember, the possibilities in iOS Drambo are virtually limitless. Choose a project that aligns with your creative goals and interests, and don't hesitate to experiment and explore new ideas along the way.

Comments

• I couldn’t improve that list even if I tried.

And as per #3 Drambo has timestretch so ChatGPT must know something we don’t

• edited June 2023

Holy shit I mean this is not the approach I’m taking, as it starts from samples I might ask it next what are the mode resonance frequencies and envelopes of a real conga, but just read this…

”How can I build a realistic conga sound using ios drambo. Tell me what modules to use and how to connect them”

ChatGPT:

To create a realistic conga sound using iOS Drambo, you can utilize a combination of modules to generate the desired sound and simulate the characteristics of conga drums. Here's a step-by-step guide on how to do it:

1. Start by adding a sampler module to your Drambo project. This module will be responsible for playing back the conga drum samples. You can find various conga drum sample packs online, or you can record your own conga drum sounds and import them into the sampler.
    2. Connect the output of the sampler module to a low-pass filter module. This will help shape the tonal characteristics of the conga sound. Adjust the filter settings to achieve the desired level of brightness or warmth for your conga.
    3. Next, add an envelope module to shape the amplitude of the sound. Connect the output of the filter module to the input of the envelope module. Adjust the envelope's attack, decay, sustain, and release parameters to create a natural and realistic decay of the conga sound.
    4. To add some variation and realism to the conga sound, you can introduce a random module. Connect the output of the envelope module to the input of the random module, and then connect the output of the random module to the amplitude control of the sampler. This will introduce subtle variations in the volume of each conga hit, mimicking the natural fluctuations found in real conga drum playing.
    5. If you want to further shape the sound, you can add effects modules to the signal chain. For example, you can insert a reverb module to simulate the acoustic space of a room or a delay module to add some rhythmic echoes.
    6. Finally, you can connect the output of your conga sound chain to the mixer module to control the overall volume level of the conga sound within your project.

Remember that these instructions are general guidelines, and the exact setup may vary depending on the specific modules available in your version of Drambo. Feel free to experiment and adjust the settings to achieve the most realistic and pleasing conga sound for your needs.

• This was one of my early ChatGPT experiments as well. It kept recommending me modules which did not exist :)

• edited June 2023

Ask it about combustor and it starts hallucinating 😂

Combustor is a software synthesizer developed by beepstreet, a company known for creating innovative music production tools. Combustor is designed to run on iOS devices and offers a wide range of features for creating electronic music. It combines elements of a wavetable synthesizer, a virtual analog synth, and a granular sampler to provide a versatile and powerful sound engine.

Some notable features of Combustor include:

1. Wavetable Synthesis: Combustor allows you to create sounds using wavetable synthesis, which involves blending different waveforms to generate complex and evolving timbres.
    2. Virtual Analog Synthesis: It also offers virtual analog synthesis capabilities, allowing you to create classic analog-style sounds with filters, oscillators, and modulation options.
    3. Granular Sampling: Combustor includes a granular sampler, which enables you to manipulate and transform audio samples by dividing them into tiny grains and applying various parameters such as pitch, time, and position.
    4. Effects and Modulation: The synthesizer provides a range of built-in effects like reverb, delay, chorus, and distortion, allowing you to enhance and shape your sounds. It also offers extensive modulation options, including LFOs, envelopes, and step sequencers, to add movement and expression to your music.
    5. Mobile Integration: Combustor is designed specifically for iOS devices and offers seamless integration with other iOS music production apps. It supports AUv3 (Audio Unit Version 3) plug-in format, making it compatible with various iOS hosts and DAWs (Digital Audio Workstations).

Overall, Combustor by beepstreet offers a versatile and feature-rich synthesizer experience for iOS musicians, allowing them to explore and create a wide range of electronic sounds.

• Maybe this should had been appstore’s description, you know, to drive sales

• edited June 2023

this is the most generic bs someone could write up 😆

filter a conga sample - "for realism" ad random volume

" Adjust the envelope's attack, decay, sustain, and release parameters to create a natural and realistic decay of the conga sound."

thats not how drums work, honey - hint velocity to amp decay ;)

blah blah blah

it has no idea what its talking about 🤣

total fail

• So I guess our jobs won’t be taken by AI anytime soon? 🤨😂

• edited June 2023

if your day job is to write äh random text for catalog articles or something it may do the job - generic blah

it sure won't write the next "in search of the lost time / À la recherche du temps perdu" for you ... 😂

• edited June 2023

hm the text for the congas it put out is quite weird

it somehow realizes that level and envelope times are important - (generic info that fits to any sound) 🤔

but then doesn't suggest accordingly to modulate level and decay with how hard you hit (velocity) 🤪

how hard you hit the percussion instrument seems like an obvious parameter for a human if you think 2 sec about it ...

(no suggestion in that direction in anyway - fail)

instead it suggests to use random level modulation - how lame is that? I can't think of anything lets use random ... (more generic bs)

its like it doesn't read what it had said itself a sentence above. 🤭

it did not answer the question at all

to sum it up it said for a realistic conga use a sample, filter it and do random level modulation.

oh well👾

🤣

• It depends. ChatGPT is built on the idea of AI and the results it gives you are not necessarily correct. But not everybody cares.

You asked a question, you get answers. Asking "What project should I build in Drambo" isn't very restrictive and something like "What music should I produce in a DAW" 😉

Using ChatGPT for generating a list of ideas and options seems like a good idea though.

BTW, I've done time stretch and granular projects using the Flexi Sampler inside Drambo (see patchstorage) so it's not completely wrong.

• edited June 2023

the chat gpt stuff reminds me of this 😂

blixa reads adds from the local hardware store and it all sounds mega important and philosophical and like it has a deeper meaning.

its just random generic catalog advertisement bs text and manuals from chainsaws and so on.

(if you dont understand German this won't be funny/thought provoking)

• edited June 2023

Brw I asked it for the formants/amp/envelopes of a typical conga, and while it wrote me a five paragraph dissertation that sounded like it knew what it was talking about, the advice was to start with a 200Hz wave, then add formants at multiples of the base frequency which of course would sound like a bell or something, nothing like a real conga (where the formants are inharmonic, although some approach the fifth and octave which is why there’s sort of a perceived tone)

So pretty useless for practical purposes

• I still think the initial list of what you can do in Drambo was pretty spot-on. And remember this only has access to data from late 2021, so it doesn’t even know about Drambo 2.0.

• How about Logic’s Beat Breaker?

• You can build that yourself easily:

The Graphic Shaper is connected to the track's time signal. Use the Snap X and Snap Y settings to quantize your drawing points (start with 16 for a one-bar loop).

• Nice! Now that we’re talking about Logic, please show us how to build an “Alchemy Synth” easily.

• I keep looking at this

• edited July 2023

And ChatGPT’s answer to this simple query

Constructing Logic Pro's Alchemy synthesizer inside Drambo would involve recreating the various components and features of Alchemy using the available modules and tools in the Drambo app. You'll need to familiarize yourself with Drambo's synthesis capabilities and work on building the following elements:

1. Oscillators: Use the available waveform generators in Drambo to recreate Alchemy's oscillator types, such as wavetable, spectral, and virtual analog oscillators.

2. Filters: Utilize Drambo's filter modules to mimic Alchemy's filter options, such as low-pass, high-pass, band-pass, and comb filters.

3. Modulation: Set up modulation sources in Drambo, like LFOs and envelopes, to control parameters such as pitch, filter cutoff, and modulation index, similar to Alchemy's modulation capabilities.

4. Effects: Implement various effects chains using Drambo's built-in effects modules to recreate Alchemy's effect processor options.

5. Performance controls: Set up MIDI controllers and macro controls within Drambo to handle performance-related features like key switching, expression controls, and macro assignments.

Remember, recreating a complex synthesizer like Alchemy might be challenging, and you may not achieve an exact replica due to differences in the synthesis engines and available modules. However, with patience and creativity, you can build a powerful and unique synthesizer inside Drambo that suits your musical needs.

• Maybe @lala ‘s “Complex OSC” patch on Patchstorage with an attached XY pad and a couple more sound sources?

• edited July 2023

hm, my approach to modular is different

I build structures to do one thing good, like do percussions, do pads, do that specific sound * ... (or utilities I happen to constantly use)

that works well for me

if I would try to recreate complex moster synths with all of its functions I would feel like im wasting time solving unnecceary problems ...

so instead of trying to do it all in one patch I do different patches with different things in mind, that gos much quicker :)

• edited July 2023

🤣

it somehow got that there are sound sources / processing / modulation & performance controls.

the rest of the text is generic bs - basically it says look yourself what functions alchemy has and copy them,

oh really, glad you told me 😴

it seems like chatGPT is the perfect tool to confuse slow readers with generic bs thats seems to be on topic but is just blah. 🤔

• edited July 2023

it looks like its extracting the buzzwords like "Filters" "key switching" "Modulation" ect. and then creates a sentence around it.

its seems to have extracted the 1 to 5 points hierarchy from some website.

interesting to poke around in this when it all gos wrong. ^^

how does it know what the buzzword is? ( this could be simple, appears often in context?)

• @Intrepolicious

Bummer that you still have to build it yourself, huh? 😉

• Pamela’s New Workout, or MATHS

• How about Audiothing’s Speakers. Seems like just a collection of lofi IRs, some flexible routing and a few effects

• EONArp or Chordmist

• yeah, such a chore 😏😆

I will say though, that while building and discovering different things in Drambo _is_ half the fun, and really the whole point of modular synthesis in general, I would still love to see more advanced or complex synth builds posted on patch storage that us “modular rookies” can learn from.

Examples; (and I was just playing with this morning) your “MathDiv_OSC_v102” patch, and the Shapes/Fades one, or more advanced patches like @ZhouJing’s “Noisemaker”, @bangzero’s “SoundJoy”, and @Tumbleweed’s “Buchla Music Easel Sim”.

• I take the existing, or better the non-existing patches as a sign that so much can be done with relatively simple setups in terms of sound.

If I can get there with 20 modules, why should I make it more complicated?

If I ever wanted to have Alchemy in Drambo, I'd much rather construct the sounds I want than re-building Alchemy completely.

• edited July 2023

Agreed, they're great!

You can build random-arpeggiated chords using Drambo's Strum Generator.

Using Channel and Note Filters, you can have a different chord on each key, playable polyphonically.