Lesson learned, manual saves for the win

Hi,

As I was building a drambo project to be used for future gigs, the app crashed. When opening drambo again, my autosave was empty. A few hours lost, no big deal. :')

Keep in mind that drambo was running all day without crashes, so it was expected to happen that at some point, and it was negligent to rely on an autosave for my big project.

(Since it's my 1st post on this forum, I just wanted to say drambo is a killer app, the best that suits my needs)

In case it matters, my setup :

ipad mini 5, ipados 17.1.1, akai mpk mini plus, xtouch mini, behringer umc404hd

midifire, loopy pro

Thanks

Comments

• Do you still have the crash log? (iOS Settings => Privacy => Analytics => Analytics Data => Drambo....)

• Yep, definitely save frequently, the autosave feature rarely recalls what I was working on. I love Drambo to bits but it does crash every now and then.

• The last drambo crash logs I could find were on november the 27th, not the 28th.

It was certainly cpu related since I had a lot of instruments loaded, and one AU with loopy pro. I should also mention I had 4 bars out of 5 on the cpu meter, risky business...

• edited December 2023

future gigs?

prepare this carefully!

drambo has the tendency to produce a nasty click when loading projects , u just load the project and it clicks, you didnt even press play yet.

to avoid that you need to turn the volume of drambo down on whatever you are mixing before you load a project and every time you load a new project ...

if you have a delay on the master track it goes click - crchhhhhhhhhhh (10 seconds noise nonsense) and half the audience has had a heart attack ...

save early, save often.

• edited December 2023

usually drambo is very very efficient

i have a really hard time to bring the a12 chip down to its knees.

but if you load heavy plugins its them demanding a lot of cpu ...

the a12 chip is getting old.

• We're starting this summer as a trio for disco house funk music (drum, bass, guitar, drambo, loopy for real instruments loops) :)

Are you talking about the low frequency "pop" sound ? I had one in the past and after I changed something with a low pass filter in one main out (I think) I fixed it and no more pops when loading a project. As a side note, I'm waiting for Loopy pro to have auv3 multi outputs capabilities to host Drambo in there to use its cross project transitions (or is there a better way in drambo ?).

Regarding the A12 you're right, it's getting old but still acceptable performance wise with drambo instruments. I don't know if I should upgrade to an ipad 6 mini or go bigger in the future as the space is limited in my "synthboard" :

• edited December 2023

Hm, one candidate that causes the click is the graphic shaper module when used as audio processor, thats the only thing I could clearly identify

its really hard to figure out who the bad guys are and under what circumstances it happens because it only happens when loading projects,

when I save and reload my projects they are usually so big that I can’t point with fingers anymore like oh, it must be this module when used like that …

Deleting tracks in those projects didn’t make me any wiser, still to much going on to get a hint of a clue to investigate further (I tried)

🤷🏻‍♂️

what's the thing behind the xtouch

a xylophone?

ah I C its just the table

hm, disco funk with real instruments, do you have breaks between the numbers? then simply volume down and up again is easy going.

I tried playing ping pong with 2 ipads and 2 times drambo and Ableton link and no breaks ... that turned out to be more involved than I wished it to be.

• Have you tried to disable you all racks (if you pack things into them), and re enable them bit by bit from the output signal chain to the start ? Anyway it's understandably fastidious lol.

The thing you see behind the xtouch is actually a bathroom duckboard with velcro on top, keeping everything in place. The idea to use a xylophone for a synthboard is actually tempting !

• edited December 2023

😁

do you always use the iPad in portrait mode (long side up) like that?

thats interesting.

I did not assume someone would use it always like that.

• edited December 2023

Yep and the ipad never leaves this spot. Portrait is preferred as I can see / select all the parts of the song.

Everything (rec, delete, track switching...) is controlled by the physical knobs, buttons and pads... I love Drambo. 😀

edit : did not see the last part of your message

2 small breaks in 1 a hour set... I still have time to figure things out (I think).

I also thought of the 2 ipads, but it means another audio interface in the game...

So you do gigs with Drambo ?

• edited December 2023

I am preparing stuff in a way that I could if I want to?

i want to have that as an option without starting over again.

not sure if a one man show is hm, entertaining enough

thinking about collaboration with somebody else so that its more interesting and unexpected things happen.