Advanced Drambo users: Here's some inspiration for you

Hi!

Like it often happens with modular systems, there are so many ways to use them that it can be great to watch what others do and get some inspiration for building better Drambo patches.

Here's one that I liked a lot, including inspiring ideas for Drambo's routing and Scene X-Fader usage.

Comments

• edited December 2023

I so much miss the tactile and muscle memory action that lets you do this without thinking. The template is brilliant, and could be built in drambo, I believe.

But to have that physicality would be a game changer. Operate drambo blindfolded

• edited December 2023

I feel like I’m on an octotrack when I’m staring at the phone in my new live rig.

It is a pain to edit stuff but when I play it totally forces me to focus in the music.

I’ve been using a tone of graphic shapers to create one knob arps, effect units etc. Now with layer switch module I can scroll through different combos of oscillators or drum kits with one knob too. It is incredibly immediate and diminishes the need for too many control surfaces.

I can drive this set up completely blind, screen off etc

I’m going to make a walkthrough vid on this too as it’s just too good

• Your setup is mine in reverse.

• Haha, yes indeed!

I wonder if there’s a way to incentivise everyone here with iPad/controller combos to make a walkthrough video of their process.

• I made this smaller iPhone based one to take on stage with my ‘regular’ band but I keep using it as a jamming machine.

It feels very much like software when playing except it works how my brain likes.

• edited December 2023

meh about x fade scenes,

to much finger step dance to get from a to b to c 🤷🏻‍♂️

and depending on what you automate with it they only work in direction forwards or backwards,

so no fade from d to b ect. 🤷🏻‍♂️

you can't really be free with it, its always like "this scene belongs to that pattern ..." (more or less), 😯 🤔

if you are doing more than levels and fx levels with the scenes ...

if you dont follow that way of thinking it produces a lot of "random" garbage. 😆

so it seems quite flexible at first, but in the end its nothing what it looked liked

because you have to go a,b,c,d,e,f,g,f,e,d,c,b ... 😑

it suggests morph from any state to state - it just doesn't do that like that. 🙄

its smoke & mirrors. ;)

• That's simply not true @lala.

• edited December 2023

if you dont follow some in advance planned chain of events - that you save as different "scenes" , that go one after the other (in some relation to patterns being played)

it becomes hm, musically unpleasant quick (also known as wtf is this now? 😂) ;)

play the wrong clips with the wrong scene and you get a lot of garbage back that sounds like you were stoned 🤡

YMMV

• Well that's true for any DAW 😉

• edited December 2023

daws dont have 16 scenes to morph the overall sound with live 😉

daws do the same thing with automation over time ...

patterns and scenes have a close relationship

and you have to go along yourself live 😑

I can't save yes I totally always want to play "pattern x" & "scene d-e" on the x fade ... ;)

@giku

• Ive been meaning to do this. I have an unusual playing style Ive never seen anyone else do quite the same way and Ive been meaning share. Whats funny is one of the only things holding that back is that my camera mount is a bendy wire thing that starts bouncing around while I play.

• edited December 2023

I agree it would be really handy to be able to link clips to specific morph scenes.

perhaps the morph module would be a better choice? Does turning off the module header on the morph module render it inactive? (Apparently it does not)

• This is a bit sloppy but Ive been finding this a really fun way to improvise.

• This is rad. I feel my fiddling with knobs vs live playing balance has shifted towards the former and I need to spend more time actually improvising. Great work!

It would be good to see it in a wider context with sequencing etc. No pressure though, just curious 😉

• edited December 2023

I’ve just rewatched it with more attention. So both controllers are fed into the same instrument? Are you using cv quantiser to exclude the ‘wrong notes’ or do you have all the notes present?

In my bigger suitcase rig I have Novation circuit which allows for scale playing as well as saving chords and assigning them to buttons which works really well for that sort of thing but I’m realising that it’s a lazy approach and is making me even more dumb on the piano 😂.

I’m trying to use a real keyboard more often now before my kids start laughing at me.

• The controllers are playing different sounds but the pad kontrol is following the note offset of the k-board. The way its set up the k-board sets the root note and then the scale goes up from there on the pad kontrol. At the beginning you can see that the pad kontrol note changes depending on what k-board note I press. Its all going through scale devices too. Whats neat about it is that the chord notes are always on the same pads. So I tap a note on the k-board and then bang on the chord notes on the pad kontrol. Originally I was trying to imitate an omnichord.

It gets particularly interesting if I sequence the k-board notes so the pad kontrol continuously follows it and I can just bang the same 3-6 notes (2 octaves of 1 chord) and always get the appropriate chord.

doubly interesting is that every track in the project follows the k-board note so the whole project transposes together in key.

I’ll try to make a more extensive video later.

• edited December 2023

Ah yes, i remember your key Automator patch. Great work there. I remember messing quite a bit with it. I eventually made my own way simpler version consisting of bypass plus three cv quantisers on each melodic track. That only changes minor to major to 7th using a knob. Your patch is way beyond my pay grade in fact I got a bit lost when fitting it into my live rig and I’ve abandoned it due to brain fatigue. I’ll pick it up at some point as it’s a work of genius. Well done mate.

• It sounds like what you made is one of the modes of Key Automator. I had an early version thats probably pretty similar. Key Automator is probably vastly more complicated than it needs to be too. I have a tendency to overlook the simplest solutions. But whatever works works. Its pretty much permanently changed how I sequence my tracks.