Restart Euclidean sequencer at start of pattern

As per the title. I’m messing around with shorter/longer than 16steps pattern lengths and my Euclidean drums are ploughing on regardless giving me cool polyrhythms but I’d love to be able to control that.

How do I do this?

Comments

• You can have a custom time signal. When it starts from zero it is a reset. You can use math to subdivide it and have different euclidians controlled by different divisions of master tempo. Not sure if that’s what you’re after…

• edited April 27

Thanks @pedro

What I’m after is for the Euclidean sequencer to restart from the beginning when the pattern or clip goes back to the start.

• Could you post a screenshot of the barebones example of this. Sorry, I’ve always been a bit shit at maths 😂

• There isn’t much math involved, you need a ramp signal that goes from 0 to N during the duration of your clip, with N being the number of beats (so for a 4/4 16th loop you need time signal fed with a 0 to 4 value)

I’m away from the ipad but I can screenshot it later

• This kind of setup, but I’m speaking mostly from memory

• That doesn’t work for me. Resetting the lfo doesn’t reset the sequencer.

• I must say that the lfo idea didn’t work for me either.

• Which makes me wonder whether this is actually possible using existing modules @rs2000 @giku ?

• Sorry I have been away on my own errands, what I meant was a ramp signal 0..1 over a certain number of beats. That signal needs to be scaled time s number of beats, so times 4 for a 4x4 16th loop.

When the signal is zero then seq is at start beat. When it’s at 3.999 it’s about to reset to 1

you can even go backwards by decreasing the tempo signal, so a down ramp makes the tempo go backwards

@rs2000 is much more qualified to help with this, I was just trying to be helpful, but I shall revise this in practice as I’m just speaking from memory

• Still doesn’t reset with lfo. Lfo w/saw ramp up into scale x 4 into euclidian seq clock in. When I reset the lfo the euclidian sequence keeps its current position and continues moving forward.

• No worries @pedro I’m winging it here like no other and subconsciously resisting learning as I can muster.

It would certainly be nice to have a solution that automagically matches the steps in the clip as opposed to needing to set it manually.

Likely many of us use Euclidean sequences to spice up our lives and matching it to the clip length would be a positive step forward.

• I’ve had a look at resetting the Euclidean sequencer at long last.

This works.

Screenshot.

The CV sequencer /Switch N-1/Euclidean does the reset and

the Button/Midi Switch N-1/Scale mutes the Euclidean sequencer when needed.

Adjust Scale time to taste.

• This works fantastically!!! Thanks @gravitas!

Now I need to plumb it into my rather untidy patch 🫣

• Actually wait. I got overexcited. I was checking the clip progress bar and gate sequencer and completely forgot to look at the ES!! 🙄

I’ll play with it a bit to see if I’ve done anything wrong

• Got it now. I forgot to connect ES time to scale output. Working now.

Thanks again @gravitas

• Good to know that you've got it working now.

Enjoy.🙏🏾

• @gravitas ok, so I did some more testing and it behaves weirdly. The Euclidean sequencer starts later than the main sequencer. About one step later.

I’ve copied your screenshot and triple checked all the connections. I assumed that you’ve connected n-1 index to velocity and not gate sygnał of the gate and velocity sequencer.

Don’t you get that behaviour with your patch?

• It seems like the Euclidean Sequencer doesn't follow the time signal precisely.

• Yup, I’ve just double checked this and agreed it doesn’t start on the one

however doing this has tickled a memory in regards to an early project

that I did which I’m going to revisit now.

Thanks for the reminder. 😏

• Now that you mention, it seems I’m able to reproduce. But I’m not sure it’s not my lack of understanding, because it only happens in tempos different from 4/4, for instance 6/8, but afaik drambo always is running in 4/4 16 steps, so this might be a case of common denominator, I mean it seems in sync with step, just doesn’t align boundaries if you don’t have 16 steps (but doesn’t lose time)

• wouldn’t moving the reset trigger to the last step of the sequencer instead of the first fix that?

• Yup, it seems to be working properly now.

Thanks for that.

• nice I wasn’t sure. Im curious if you place a trigger on the last step of the euclidian sequencer and use that reset on the last step does the trigger fire or not

• So what exactly did you do to make work? Sorry, messing around here without much success. 🤔

• I simply moved the Reset position from the start of the CV seqeuncer to the end.

Screenshot.

• Using the last note from the Euclidean sequencer itself or the signal going into the Euclidean?

• Yeah, I’ve tried that but I’m going to fiddle some more. Cheers

• No worries.

I've enjoyed this,...I've been trying to figure out a way to make the Korg Volca Drum

more percussive and the Euclidean Sequencer pointed me in the right direction...

I'll screen record it soonish and I've finally mapped out all of the LED's for the LC XL.

I'll share it with you if you're interested. ;)

@Johnisfaster by the way thanks for finding the tempo step range, that's come in handy.

I figured out this drop using it plus the incremental button thing

that @uncleDave and @rs2000 came with, it's wicked.

Hopefully I'll remember the drop for when I do the dRambo Volca Modular recordings. :)

• edited May 2

@gravitas

I think I understand what’s going on. So I was after a hands off auto solution where ES would ‘follow’ the length of the bar without the need to manually set the reset step.

While this is not the lazy solution I was after because I have to manually change the step in the gate sequencer, it’s still a more visual way of doing it without the need to go into ‘numbers’

I was looking for an ‘automatic’ solution because I’m deeper into ‘no screen’ set up and changing the step would obviously require me to fiddle with the screen

I still hope that there might be the way to reset the Euclidean sequencer automagically even if that required @giku ’s intervention.

cheers guys