Integrator module - how are you using it

I am curious what all of you are doing or have thought of doing with the integrator module. I don’t fully understand what it does (never took calculus :O) and haven’t found any uses for it yet. But I am sure it’s capable of a lot of cool functions! Just looking for ideas :)

Comments

• edited August 2020

Short explanation: It's very similar to a low pass filter while a differentiator is similar to a high pass filter.

Which brings me to a few requests that I hadn't mentioned yet:

Adjustable integration time and range limits and a differentiator module with adjustable differentiation time and range limits.

The difference between LPF and Integrator is that if you (simplified) represent both by an R/C low pass circuit with a resistor and a capacitor, in case of the LPF, the input signal would be fed into the R/C with constant voltage (hence the exponential rise and fall) while with the integrator, the input signal be fed into the R/C circuit with constant current (hence the rather linear rise and fall like a triangle shape).

Another consequence is that the signal output if an integrator is not limited (theoretically). While with constant voltage, the output signal would stop at the supply voltage, an ideal integrator will always rise as long as it gets a constant positive input signal (an ideal constant current source can deliver unlimited voltage, whatever is required to supply the required current flow.)

Turn down the LFO speed in my example to make the difference more prominent.

A possible use could be a signal dependent up/down pitch changer:

One to increase pitch by sending a positive value, one to decrease by sending a negative (or just lower) value. You can't do that with a filter.

If the integrator had adjustable integration time and range limits, you could easily build 32 digital up/down faders using midi notes from a Novation Launchpad for example.

General answer: A lot can be fond out by using test signals and a few oscilloscopes.

• I’m getting some interesting results running in an oscillator and then doing maths between the integrated and original signal

• Thanks rs2000. This is all a bit over my head but I think I get the idea. That explains the HUGE output from this thing.

• You're welcome!

The good thing is that people usually don't ask about the math behind our music, so everything is allowed 😄

• edited August 2020

I completely overlooked this module, nice to learn about its existence and uses!

• edited August 2020

If u slap it after white noise it’s output is brown noise, that’s what my ears tell me :)

thinking about it for a moment

if we subtract our brown noise now from white noise we have kind of velvet noise

ha! 😎

• edited August 2020

I don’t understand to much about analog electronics,

the rise and fall time comes as byproduct from loading and unloading some circuit in the real world?

very interesting about the pitch here

would have Never in the world thought of that

sounds very interesting, example please :)

im like huh? What ?

most of the math functions are completely alien to me 🤡

i just do something obvious like subtract even from all harmonics...

i should have payed more attention to my math classes 🙄

• edited August 2020

I was looking into the the modules

we don’t have a differentiator

yet