Can you help me create this Four Tet effect in Drambo?

I bloody love Four Tet 🤗

I was watching this old interview with him and he mentions a specific audio trick he did a lot and explains how he constructed it manually in pro-tools.

This link should take you to the exact part of the video, if not, it's at 38:44

Basically what he's doing is chopping his sample into rythmic slices like 16th notes, pitching it an octave up so each of the 16 chunks only lasts half the time, then playing that same chunk backwards to fill the other half of the 16th note. So it's kind of like a 16th note trance gate, but where each slice reflects back before the next slice plays.

This looks like a cool thing to try and recreate in Drambo, but I'm not sure what combination of tools I should use. 

I was going to set it up as a sampler device and control the slices and playback direction, but then I wondered if there's a way of having it as a general effect which would work on any audio source. Kind of a flip/flop between regular playback and a reverse delay effect if that's possible?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

cheers,

James

Comments

• Right now there is no reverse delay effect, and I don't think any necessary tools to get there. But we'll soon have AU hosting this would then be an easy patch using a Switch and CV sequencer.

To do it with samplers, I think you'd just make your slices, duplicate and reverse playback direction and pitch up an octave on the second, then sequence either a Switch or X fader module back and forth between the signals.

• edited December 2020

Load your loop into 2 Flexi Samplers on two different tracks, set Speed=+1 in one and Speed=-1 in the other.

Set the Flexis to key-triggered slice playback, record the original clean loop on track 1, then play and record the reverse samples on track 2 until the reverse effect sounds like what you want.

I've just built a project today that also allows you to reverse and pitch individual slices, I'll upload it to patchstorage when I'm satisfied with it.

• Thanks guys. I've got something rigged up with flexi sampler, sliced the sample to 16, using a square lfo to the speed control and an LFO with a saw up shape to the offset and it's kind of doing the trick! 😎

Is there a way to convert/quantize a slopey LFO shape to 16 distinct values?

• Use the magic Graphic Shaper and enable snap to grid inside the shape editor.

• Buffer reverse is available now ...