Arranging Patterns

edited April 2020 in Feature Wish-lists

Is anybody else struggling with pattern arrangement?

Unless I've missed something in the manual, there doesn't seem to be a simple way to reorder things?

Given the following patterns:

[1] [2] [3] [4] [5]

If I want to swap patterns 2 and 4:

1) Insert new track 6: [1] [2] [6] [3] [4] [5]

2) Copy 4 and paste over 6: [1] [2] [4] [3] [4] [5]

3) Copy 2 and paste over 4: [1] [2] [4] [3] [2] [5]

4) Remove 2: [1] [4] [3] [2] [5]

That feels like more work than it should be...

My proposal is to implement shift left/right options to the pattern drop down menu.

Thoughts?

Comments

• edited April 2020

I did consider suggesting drag & drop, but I wonder about the UX of dragging patterns around inside that tiny scroll view....

Just spitballing here, but perhaps the header could be simplified to just:

[ <- ] [ 01 ] [ -> ]

Where tapping the [ 01 ] could open a more robust pattern menu, similar to the implementation in Korg Electribe Wave?

• ... Where tapping the [ 01 ] could open a more robust pattern menu, similar to the implementation in Korg Electribe Wave?

Yes, I'd say this would be the best way to do it. Temporarily use as much screen space as possible.

We sometimes still have mouse-operated desktop OS software in mind 😉

• Why not just have a song view where you can reorganize patterns, repeat patterns, loop them, etc. I'm trying to remember which app I use that has a nice implementation of this where you can even set up blocks called 'chorus', 'verse', etc.

• Sounds like Ableton Scenes in which you can either use clips grouped as intro, chorus, verse, bridge etc. or freely combine and arrange pattern clips from different tracks. I think I remember that something like that is already planned.

• Yeah that would be good. Modstep also has a nice scene view, though the song mode stuff leaves a little to be desired.

• edited April 2020

I loved the way patterns worked in isequence

you created a new empty pattern and then you could simply dial pattern numbers of previous patterns in that new pattern up or down ... :) (no need for copy and paste trallala, it was very quick :) )

• So you can have patterns inside patterns in isequence?

That sounds very interesting, and very Drambo...

• ALBALB
    edited April 2020

Can someone explain this or point me to a video? I keep hearing this, but don’t understand how it works in Drambo.

• It doesn’t currently. But hopefully something similar is coming.