Gate Length from MIDI

Currently when converting a midi signal to CV you get the note, gate and velocity - but there is not a way to get the gate length. This would be quite useful, as it would allow me to take incoming notes and resequence them, while still having some control over articulation from the sequencer.

This would be fine as just another module (MIDI -> Gate Length).

Comments

• Route the gate signal to a Math => Integrator.

This will give you a signal that is proportional to the gate length.

If the integrator rises too quickly, just add another one behind.

• True, that will work, but it will always be one behind the current step. But maybe there's a way to work with that. Good suggestion, thanks!

Definitely nicer just to have the module though :)

I'm doing this in order to create a ridiculous hack for individual swing and triplets at a track level. I got triplets working (except gates), but swing has proven more difficult.

• How would you determine gate length of a note that has not ended yet?

MIDI does not contain "note length". A note ends when it ends with a note off (or note on, velocity zero) message.

A module to extract gate length from the internal sequencer won't help you with incoming MIDI notes, only for internally sequenced notes. Or would that suffice?

• It would suffice, but now that you mention it what I'm asking for doesn't make a lot of sense. Because I really wouldn't want a module that only worked with the internal sequencer - that would be ugly.

Back to the drawing board I guess.