hysterical noise gate?

greetings Drambo folk! i have made an autofade in/out module that uses a noise gate with hysteresis: gate opens at a high level above the noise floor, but closes at a lower level for longer sustain notes. it uses an envelope follower into two graphic shapers to detect high & low levels, transient detectors to generate pulses, and a gate counter as an on/off toggle. this mostly works well. but if the input triggers the high detector many times without the low the gate counter wraps around and closes too soon. is there a better way to do this? tia, /dan

Comments

• edited January 2022

Welcome bangzero!

In analog circuits, hysteresis is usually done with feedback and you can do the same in Drambo:

You don't even need Graphic Shapers here and the threshold is easier to adjust.

To increase hysteresis (i.e, the distance between low and high thresholds for closing/opening), adjust the "Feedback rcv" knob in the HYSTERESIS mixer.

Hope you won't get too hysterical about it 😉

• woah! that's completely different, and clever, & fun to figure out. thanks @rs2000. there are a couple of issues for my use case. it seems that the threshold needs to be near the max input level for effective hysteresis. levels from my guitar are too variable for that. and i am using a footswitch to control autofades while playing live. this would be difficult using analog style feedback hysteresis. but inspired by your approach, i did find better way to prevent retriggers, using feedback in the gate logic! :^) so thanks again! /dan

• Great to hear. You're welcome!

Maybe use a Compressor module after the audio input?