Piano-ish preset for Drambo?

2»

Comments

• Nice one! Thx for sharing.

This patch helped a lot to make a quite useful (almost believable) piano in D.

Will play around with envelopes and key tracking to try to improve it, but so far quite happy... though, admittedly I’m not a piano guy so I could be way of... :D

• recrec
    edited January 2022

The bare bones state...

• edited January 2022

@henrikh2021

The FM 6 Op synth is now complete.

I tried eight instances and the CPU went up to midway on my AIR 3.

This is without sequencing and effects processors.

• @rec awesome. ;)

I built the full synth with all parallel and series configurations, you went for the sound.

So cool.

• Opps.

I’m missing a section.

Back soon.

• WOW - that sounds fantastic. Def upload to patch storage when complete!

• Will check with giku if he needs it as part of D install :)

• @lala that’s a good list of patches.

As soon as I have the time I’ll go through some of them.

Thank you for sharing. :)

• I understand that making a repro of an acoustic piano can be a fun challenge but a well made multi sampled instrument will always beat the synthetic counterpart when it comes to realism and will be much lighter on the system.

I guess I’ve stated the obvious 😇☺️

• edited February 2022

@gravitas : I’m just a musician who’s thinking about permanently retiring.

Let me know when you’ve finally figured it out! ;)

I’d love my kids to learn coding but just imagining seeing them stuck in front of a screen for hours fills me with dread! I know that it is the future, while it lasts, but can’t help resisting.

As far as retirement, I’ve been thinking about this and, perhaps foolishly, concluded that I’d probably end up in a some sort of decline should I ever fully retire.

During isolation, while I was quite happy to get on with my creative life, I realised that vast amounts of free time didn’t directly translate into creative output. I’ve concluded that I need the right balance between imposed by necessity ‘hardship’ and just the right amount of free time, for the spark to light. We’re all different of course.

Sorry, I didn’t mean to derail. ;)

• Exactly. But we love challenges, that's why we've moved to iOS for music production in the first place 😂

• @supadom

I'll tell ya when I've figured out myself. :)

Yeah, coding is amazing but it isn't the be all and end all of everything.

Agreed. I won't ever stop playing music, can't be done.

I've picked my sticks back up. Feels goood.

I also wasn't as creative so I focused on learning how to do new things.

The creativity is back though. 40 tracks to finish over the next month or so. ;)

Also apologies for possibly derailment.

Back on topic.

@rs2000 iOS for music production is certainly challenging.

• On the other hand, if an instrument is built out of an engine it's easier to mess with the timbre dynamically.

• True.

Although I've had quite good success with dynamically moving the root key in Drambo's Sampler, like the timbre knob in Ravenscroft 275.

• I dont thinking about any retirement, but i feel sometimes, its hard to follow up on more complex modular technics in in drambo forum, i dont have eurorack knowledge background, only subtractive synthesis and some modular synthesis knowledge, even fought i am slow, considering i am over 50 years old, i guess i am the turtle, ha ha,

other than that, i have come a long way with drambo, only the more complex things like the sequencer etc, its a mysterium for me, allso i struggle to get the gate velocity sequencer to work, where to connect this and that, actually i conncected the clock from the sequnecer to a graphics env, seem to work, but i want the sequencer to play notes etc, sorry off topic!.

rs2000 did recently make a sequencer note patch, but i have’nt figured out, the connection logic in it, yet!.

Anyway, i have a new epiano patch, i can release soon, its more like a roland rd1000 type piano patch.

• @henrikh2021 No worries, it's a natural thing that learning how to get along with a deep app like Drambo takes some time.

There are a few things to know about the various connections between modules.

Have you read Drambo's help file already? It explains how the signals work, and it's best to think of singals like voltages in an analog electronic system.

For example, the Time Signal (the clock) is a signal that represents the absolute position inside the pattern.

Try connecting an LFO (disable "bipolar") output to the Time Signal input of the Gate/Velocity Sequencer and play with it.

Also, connect an Oscilloscope module to the time output of the track and see what happens while the pattern plays.

You can learn a lot by simply connecting an Oscilloscope module to the different signals.

Sometimes you have to incease the "X scale" of the Oscilloscope, for example if you want to see short trigger signals.

• @henrikh2021

I was “fortunate “ enough to have the time on my hands to be able to delve into Drambo as deep as I did.

The thing to learning drambo or modular in general actually is look for the things that you already know.

In my case I knew sequencers and effects processors from music production in studios and my own home studio.

I knew a little about synthesis but up until drambo I normally went for presets as you

don’t have the time in a studio to be creating a sound when the clock is ticking and clients are paying.

I will also say this.

If you tell yourself you’re slow?

You will be slow.

Allow yourself the mental time to learn something otherwise

you will get frustrated with yourself and immediately create a block.

Also, permit yourself to have fun.

Enjoy the process. :)

• edited February 2022

No, but i am not 20 years old, ha ha.

Yes, have some experince in digital synthesizer, programming, creating patches through the years, but not modular , which is another ball game, even thought drambo should be easier.

Staring with the the first cubase, called pro18 , then pro24 on the atari 1024st, in 1991, ha ha , i miss those times,

but the most funny thing , i get better in patch programming through 2016-2022, because of the wast suply of ios apps, like moog model 15 etc..

• But how do you get the gate velocity seq to play notes from a standard osc ??.

Should i connct the music symbol directly from the osc to the the gate velocity seq, but which input ??

Yes, i did read the manual, but didnt go through the help menu.

Did took many tutorials, but there is still lot to learn, no i dont need to become an expert, but just be so competent, so i can make most out of drambo, learnlng 100% all drambo knowledge is unrealistic , because drambo properly has a bit steep learning curve , when it comes to conplex things.

• recrec
    edited February 2022

Hehe... you would be surprised about the average age of those who are attracted to these toys :)

Drambo is not easy... in fact in many cases it goes down to atomic level of synthesis, in many cases beyond a typical eurorack system. However in many cases it can be straightforward in general use (f.e auto connection of belonging signals or poly handling) which can help to have fun while diving deeper and deeper into unknown... and with Drambo you can rest assured, there will be always undiscovered depth :)

But that shouldn’t stop anyone from having fun. Use what you know, ask when in doubt... it’s a learning curve for us all :)

• To play notes with sequencer modules, you’ll typically need:

• gate and optionally velocity - ‘Gate+velocity sequencer’ module
    • pitch - ‘CV sequencer’ module

CV sequencer module can produce a signal between 0 to 1, which is an 8 octave range, so fairly difficult to setup a sequence accurately. To help with that you’ll need further modules. Send the output of the ‘CV sequencer‘ module to a ‘Scale + offset’ module and type in 0.25 for ‘Amount’ - now you scaled down the 8 octave range to 2 octaves. Now tap the CV sequencer window to enter the editor, turn on ‘Snap Y’ and dial in 24 for ‘Grid Y’ - now you have a grid to draw notes accurately in two octaves. Use the output of the ‘Scale + offset’ module as a pitch source. You can use ‘Offset’ parameter to shift the 2 octave range (0.125 is 1 octave).

Alternatively you can use ‘CV Quantizer’ module to quantise the output of the ‘CV sequencer’.

• @lala I remember @rs2000 also made a rather lovely electric piano with a key release section that was really cool. :)

• thank you very much rec, for the help.

I will integrate your seq , you just showed me in the picture, in my next projects.

I have plenty of time to use on learning drambo, i am not going anywhere soon, i’m gonna have a knee operation very soon.