The sample browser

Okay too many feature requests but here’s some observations and ideas for the sample browser in order of importance.

1 Open sample browser in directory of currently loaded sample.

At the moment the browser opens to the last open folder and works globally. I suggest this should work locally per instance of sampler module. An example, I add some tracks, the last sample loaded was a hi hat. Now I’m wondering whether the kick sample was a good choice. I go back, open the sampler with the kick and then have to navigate back to the folder containing kick drum samples because I’m looking at hi hats. If you have layers of sub folders this isn’t a fluid experience.

2 Gain control on preview

Theres no attenuation of played samples when previewed. They can play much louder than the project, there needs to be some control. Ideally within the browser itself, but somewhere at least.

3 Shortlists

I’d love to see a split window option for the file listings. Works per project and either (1) drag samples into the box, (2) Any file loaded in that instance of the sample module gets remembered in the shortlist box. It can be removed from the shortlist box with a swipe left. I’m guessing option 2.

Easy auditioning and A/B comparisons of samples makes sample based workflow so much more efficient.

This is more relevant to the Flexi Sampler.

4 Favourites

Pretty self expanatory. The little star at the side. Works globally, not tied to individual projects.

Just some thoughts 😀

Comments

• Seems I’m describing a history tab on point 3. Maybe the split window isn’t ideal, but a tab at the top of the window to switch between file browser/history would be workable?

• edited April 2020

I mentioned in another thread that I wasn't a fan of the factory samples all being top level folders.

After importing some of my own sample library, things looked like this...

So to add to you list:

• Some form of divide between factory and user samples.
    • The ability to move samples/folders.